www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 20-11-18, 06:18   #11
RodneyMac12
Historian

I like the idea of bringing back the health bar and having to use medipacks to recover from far falls. Sometimes the classic ways are the best ways.
Old 20-11-18, 14:42   #12
Portugalraider
Professor

Guys:
  • It's not the sudden appearance of an health bar that will get red of health regen. It's just a way of displaying health.
  • Medipacks are a heath item you pick up and use to heal Lara. Herbs and berries and whatever are items you pick up and use to heal Lara. Mechanically they are the exact same thing.

I'm all for getting rid of regen health. But the way heath is presented and how the way the item/items use to heal Lara look like is more of a cosmetic thing than anything else. Although the medipacks could act as the best way to heal Lara (acting like big medipacks or TRL's "medium" medipacks), while the wild herbs act more as the small medipacks of old.
Old 20-11-18, 15:03   #13
Orimus
Student

If they brought back the health bar I would like to have a dynamic HUD like in Horizon Zero Dawn. I personally would not like to see it an on screen health bar. Having different animations based upon her current condition - even limiting actions based on it - would be a nice touch. And the option to turn regen completely off with the traversal difficulty.
Orimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-18, 18:01   #14
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Ugh no more health bar. The screen is already messy during combat. We don't need extra hud stuff for TR. I'm glad it's gone and I hope it never comes back.
Old 20-11-18, 18:28   #15
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
Ugh no more health bar. The screen is already messy during combat. We don't need extra hud stuff for TR. I'm glad it's gone and I hope it never comes back.
Wouldn't a health bar (or health number like Duke Nukem) be less messy than a bloody screen/draining colour though?
Old 20-11-18, 18:59   #16
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Wouldn't a health bar (or health number like Duke Nukem) be less messy than a bloody screen/draining colour though?
Than the blood splatters for sure (thank god PC's ability to turn those off!)

As the colour draining? Depends on what you consider messy. Personally I prefer the colour draining because it's a easy way to know how Lara's heath situation is without having to take your eyes out of the action, with the bonus that it makes health loss feel more urgent.

At the same time, you already have to take your eyes out of the action to see how much ammo you have left, so with a cleverly designed UI you can easily have a health bar displayed without being much more intrusive.
Old 20-11-18, 19:00   #17
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Than the blood splatters for sure (thank god PC's ability to turn those off!)

As the colour draining? Depends on what you consider messy. Personally I prefer the colour draining because it's a easy way to know how Lara's heath situation is without having to take your eyes out of the action, with the bonus that it makes health loss feel more urgent.

At the same time, you already have to take your eyes out of the action to see how much ammo you have left, so with a cleverly designed UI you can easily have a health bar displayed without being much more intrusive.
I thought it worked pretty good in old TR since the health bar was pretty big. (Well on PS1 anyway)

I know Health bars aren't always like that. (Such as in the Doom reboot where it's an awkward spot and is too small to easily catch your eye due to the messy combat.)

Last edited by Samz; 20-11-18 at 19:11.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-18, 19:13   #18
Portugalraider
Professor

PS1 HUD was too big in my opinion, though PC HUD at higher resolutions as way too small as well.

I think something more in line with TRL HUD could be a good way too go: Sleek design, all info well organized and easy to read. Maybe a bit smaller and without the bottom left HUD.

But I still prefer the current system sans blood splatters.
Old 20-11-18, 19:58   #19
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
PS1 HUD was too big in my opinion, though PC HUD at higher resolutions as way too small as well.

I think something more in line with TRL HUD could be a good way too go: Sleek design, all info well organized and easy to read. Maybe a bit smaller and without the bottom left HUD.

But I still prefer the current system sans blood splatters.
A thing I know a few games some-what due is let you customize the HUD (No one lives forever let you choose between bars/numbers for health and ammo, some games such as the Blood GDX sourceport let you out-right move the HUD around so you can change where certain bits are.) and I feel that would be a good addition.
Old 20-11-18, 21:44   #20
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
This, I hate being in beautiful locations and not being able to appreciate it or allow it to become part of the atmosphere of combat by having the color all drained and the blood on the screen.

They need to bring back the health bar, air bar, temperature bar, and the sprint bar.

Screen's these days are so large that health bars are so unobtrusive. Even if in classic Tomb Raider it's a bug to have mini health bars in TR 2-3, I actually like them because they are so minimal, but provide good information.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote