Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 27-02-19, 14:45   #21
paulojr_mam

@Enigma92 That seems like a good idea. Not sure if open world, though, seems metroidvania, which is an interconnected world. And on that note, others said about Croft Manor open world but wouldn't that be a hub? I mean, there can't be tombs all around Croft Manor, so it can't be used as anything other than a hub.
@Portugalraider That is true too.
@iWANEX I'm just bringing another point of view to the thread.
I fear for TR going even farther away from TR. And I fear that, once gone open world, it would never go back, which would be a shame.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 27-02-19 at 14:53.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 14:54   #22
Hazelphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma92 View Post

What might interest me though is if the developers play around with the idea of open world tombs instead of an open outside world where you're stuck in a village talking to locals. Rather the tombs themselves would be bloody massive and linked between 'hub-rooms' of sorts through underground passages which you could journey back-and-forth between once you acquire new items to progress in the other area.
This is perfect. I hope the devs read this (technically we don’t know who’s going to develop the future entries, but still).
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 15:08   #23
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma92 View Post
What might interest me though is if the developers play around with the idea of open world tombs instead of an open outside world where you're stuck in a village talking to locals. Rather the tombs themselves would be bloody massive and linked between 'hub-rooms' of sorts through underground passages which you could journey back-and-forth between once you acquire new items to progress in the other area.
That is actually what I mean with 3D Metroidvania.
Maybe with the starting area could be an outside environment, but every other hub would be a different Tomb with several different areas, and all interconnected. I think it could be very interesting
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 15:10   #24
paulojr_mam

^That seems a lot like TR4.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 15:18   #25
Enigma92

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
@Enigma92 That seems like a good idea. Not sure if open world, though, seems metroidvania, which is an interconnected world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
That is actually what I mean with 3D Metroidvania.
Is that what its called? Ah OK, metroidvania then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Maybe with the starting area could be an outside environment, but every other hub would be a different Tomb with several different areas, and all interconnected. I think it could be very interesting
Exactly something like this.
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 15:25   #26
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
^That seems a lot like TR4.
It is, though now with proper hardware to make the idea properly feasible.

It's actually why I think hubs in Tomb Raider can actually work well: even Core knew it was the way to go.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 15:29   #27
Night Crawler

Open world is the next logical step. There's not many other directions they could go now moving forwards, except backwards.
Night Crawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 16:03   #28
Orimus

Thinking about it my initial/usual reaction is that an open world TR game would end up being too empty. However, questioning that assumption, it really comes down to the story they're telling. Considering HZD particularly this is a world spanning mystery - what happened to the ancients? I can conceive of something similar for TR however we also have to consider the amount of out and out combat in other open world games and ask ourselves if that same level of combat would work in TR. At this point I'm thinking that mirroring the combat in AC:Odyssey or Spiderman just seems out of place in TR.

Still mulling it over but ultimately I think whether it be fully open world or hub really comes down to the story. I also don't really see that every entry has to be one or the other.
Orimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 16:16   #29
Cal20608

I’d like to see an open world TR and I think if done right it could please most of the fans for story I’d go like lost legacy approach and put one big tomb your trying to get to but to open it you need to first go and open the gate at some other locations or get some kind of key.
You could have vehicles to get you through the world which add a variety on gameplay and can add new ways to traverse the environment.
In Each different location on the map they’re might be tougher or a special kind of enemy for the area which adds variety to combat.
And if set in the right location we could have a variety of different terrain and challenges for Lara to face/traverse.
More replayable ( just in my opinion) after I beat shadow I have basically seen everything and I’m bored everything is so cut and linear that the new tombs are the only thing that are fun to play now. I would like to see hidden areas that are not of the main campaign and to explore and discover new ways to get around.
Cal20608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-19, 16:22   #30
Dustie

This idea keeps coming back like a boomerang, but I could never really picture Tomb Raider as open world. Maybe if it was a few "levels" that are vast enough to be like open worlds, but that seems to defeat the purpose... In open world the traversal and exploration of open areas is meant to be part of the experience, but isn't that against what Tomb Raider is about? Lara was always in some specific, contained locations, no matter how big, they were always precise areas and it wasn't part of the game to move from one to another, which is what open world gameplay is built upon I think.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote