Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: How many documents should be in the next game?
None 15 13.27%
1-10 12 10.62%
11-50 36 31.86%
51-100 (TR 2013) 37 32.74%
101-150 6 5.31%
151-200 (ROTTR & SOTTR) 3 2.65%
200-250 4 3.54%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-05-20, 01:10   #21
jajay119

So do the maps though which are easier to find as there generally always in the tombs, if which there werent many so they're still kinda pointless.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 03:09   #22
redfox45

2013 felt just right. Every one had me engaged, right up to the end (where I started losing interest and skipping a few)

Rise was way too much. Quality over quantity, the language thing was cool but yeah, way way too much.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 03:14   #23
charmedangelin

None Tomb Raider is an action platformer, documents have no place in TR. I hated them in reboot and stopped reading them after reading a few because it's extremely boring and breaks the pace of the game.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 07:45   #24
Vaskito

I'd want about 51-100 documents. I really love how they enrich the stories, and they're really well made.

However, if we're talking about collectibles in general, I think they can reduce or even completely remove the murals, as well as survivor caches. The actual documents and relics have a place in the game, and they're pretty important for people who enjoy the lore, and they add a lot of depth to it
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 08:25   #25
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamise_Croft View Post
nope they actually show you the location of documents and relics
Are you sure ? I recall it was literally maps. In my memory, gps caches in the first one just get you to a hidden one teasing the implication of Trinity. The last two, you just get money or supplies by them. For me they were just a counter to fill.

Ideally for me :

- 20 to 50 documents, hopefully with no fillers in them.
- 10 to 15 strong boxes with unique and clear gears to combine with weapons. Laser sight or a silencer for instance. No hundred of invisible upgrades.
- 50 relics. All well hidden and none in your path. Like TRA I guess. As rewards maybe 10 outfits.
- Actually special weapons like in the old games. Harpoon gun, grenade / rocket launchers or flamethrower. You not get them in cutscenes.
- Skill tree but significantly different from the reboot trilogy. Just special and optional acrobatic skills. Could be uselessly fun to win the handstand or bomb dive. Something like 20 of them.

- An invention of mine : archeological enquiries. You analyse (similarly to Batman in Arkham games) your environment for clues about the past of the locals. When you collect all the clues a cutscene would be triggered, which is a historical documentary told by Lara Croft. Around 10 of them in the entire game.

- No XP
- No caches
- No optional tombs. That should be mandatory.

That would be enough for me.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 22-05-20 at 09:38.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 08:32   #26
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I would count narrative documents (journals, letters, audio logs) separately from monoliths and murals, to be fair. The latter two ought to be puzzle elements, given that they have gameplay purposes, with the monoliths revealing caches, and the murals boosting Lara's language skills (although some documents have done this too, in the past) with with she can decipher the monoliths.
IIRC the game doesn't pause and goes into a menu when Lara reads the text of a mural, so that's still a bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
People already complain profusely about Lara slowing down sometimes to have dialogue with another character. I don't think incorporating excess document lore into the game via cutscenes would go over well, if that's where the bar is set.
Then maybe they should do it like in Legend and not make Lara artificially slow while talking on the radio. Or, better yet, they should just write a story that doesn't need to have so much additional information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I completely agree not to mention having to constantly stop to read them is immersion breaking. I think Lara recording audio logs would be much better as they could play over the gameplay and expand the story in an unmissable way like how it was in Legend which is one of the best told stories in the series. Collecting documents is one of those outdated mechanics that was popular for a while but has since gone out the window largely. Even Resident Evil which used to supplement the main story with lots of documents doesnt really do it anymore. I wouldnt mind a handful to add context to the world, environment or history but I tire of it as a way of expanding the main story and people - petty much all of Amaru's motivation and background was done in documents which people missed for example.
To be fair, I really enjoy collecting the documents in Doom Eternal and I don't mind pausing the game immediately to read them. But that's because they don't provide important exposition that's necessary to understand the story, but instead tell the lore of that world and since it's a very creative sci-fantasy world, that stuff is really interesting and entertaining. Also the backstory of the Doomslayer is pretty interesting because it ties together all of the previous Doom games. Meanwhile the documents in the reboot TR games are rather boring and dry except for some of the Himiko related ones in TR2013.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 09:14   #27
RAID

None.

Looking for the documents was a chore and 0 fun.

I want secret locations with contactable/useful items hidden within, like medipacks and ammo and relics that will automatically go in a trophy room in Croft Manor.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 09:18   #28
Sanglyph

I'm with the "quality over quantity" sentiment. It adds a lot more to the world if there's only a couple well written and unique documents that actually tell you interesting things that you want to learn rather than a quarter thousand letters from the same guy whose story you don't care about.

Also wouldn't mind some visual enhancements; if there's only a couple of collectibles you might as well make them visually unique and different so that they're more memorable. They could tie together the relics and documents a bit more so that Lara would analyze the artifacts she finds and come to conclusions about the overall plot or world she's exploring.

That said, I think TR2013 had about the right amount of documents but it helped that they all explored the same question of what's happening on the island, more or less, so it wasn't hard to get invested.
Sanglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 10:11   #29
PallasAthene

I voted 50-100 but honestly, as many as their next story needs. I'm not fussy. I like story exposition through documents. It fits with the whole archaeology thing.
PallasAthene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 15:24   #30
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post

To be fair, I really enjoy collecting the documents in Doom Eternal and I don't mind pausing the game immediately to read them. But that's because they don't provide important exposition that's necessary to understand the story, but instead tell the lore of that world and since it's a very creative sci-fantasy world, that stuff is really interesting and entertaining. Also the backstory of the Doomslayer is pretty interesting because it ties together all of the previous Doom games. Meanwhile the documents in the reboot TR games are rather boring and dry except for some of the Himiko related ones in TR2013.
Yes, like I said I don't mind a handful that add supplementaty information every now and then but I don't want documents to be the main way of delivering story detail or character background/motivations anymore.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote