Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 26-10-20, 17:37   #101
SnatchingEdges

Lud's Gate is a weak level in comparison to others, but it's not that bad as some claim.

The boiler room shenanigan was terrible, the UV's controls were terrible too, all those enemies under the water with so little ammo for the harpoon gun... ugh, but that's about it. The underwater maze is confusing at first, but I find it interesting. I think this level is better at replay than the 1st time you play it.

Although I wish we saw more of the actual museum as in TRAOD's Louvre, the Sphynx room felt so big for what it actually was.

I beat it the other day without using the UV bc I cannot stand the controls. I didn't remember the passage where you can let Lara get some air is flooded once you finish in the Boiler Room, there's no possibility to breathe. So I had to waste a lot of medipacks on that lol, but I managed to survive and dodge the enemies. It was stressful and I think a bad decision to raise difficulty on an already consufing level, but ngl I felt very satisfied when I pulled it through
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-20, 19:26   #102
LaraCablara

I’ve actually never beat Luds Gate correctly On replays I would just use the flying UPV trick to get to the end. It’s impossible to see underwater on the PS1. Since 1999 I still have no clue how to beat it the intended way.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 14:32   #103
TombRager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
It's hands down the most needlessly difficult TR level in existence. I cannot express my hate for this level strongly enough. TR3 is the only TR game I haven't finished because I quit at this level and never came back.
I gave up on it too it was making me crazy.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 23:53   #104
fallenangle

Wimps

Try it on a minimal damage run/pistols only/all secrets if you want really hard. The museum gunmen after getting the serum, now that was tough to get through undamaged.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 17:29   #105
SoulReaver74

With patience and practice this game can be mastered, but rest assured, their are times when it can still break you, Madubu Gorge and Lud's Gate are those type of levels which are some of the hardest in the series, but this masterpiece is still very much loved and still outshines the recent releases from Crystal Dynamics 'don't get me wrong' they did a great job, but this entry is so well designed, with beautiful atmosphere and the nostalgia it delivers will always make me smile, pure class.
SoulReaver74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 18:39   #106
TR1249

I'm falling in love with it again. I start to appreciate India for it's sound design <3
TR1249 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 15:04   #107
fallenangle

I've been replaying India this week too, the River Ganges most recently. It oozes atmosphere and a lot of that is indeed down to the music and ambient sounds.
Old 17-01-21, 14:30   #108
RoomTraider

I've been playing the game (currently on RX Tech Mines) and does anyone else just really hate South Pacific???

Nasty traps, questionable depictions of Melanesian people (although it was the 90s I guess), no charm to the levels...

Saying that, I think Nevada might be my favourite location in the first 3 games. Amazing music, scenery, tense, atmospheric!
RoomTraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 22:44   #109
Los Angeles
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoomTraider View Post
I've been playing the game (currently on RX Tech Mines) and does anyone else just really hate South Pacific???

Nasty traps, questionable depictions of Melanesian people (although it was the 90s I guess), no charm to the levels...

Saying that, I think Nevada might be my favourite location in the first 3 games. Amazing music, scenery, tense, atmospheric!
That's a wrong opinion you have there.

I think all the locations have their own charm, but I personally like London the least.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-21, 02:11   #110
fallenangle

Just finished another run through of TR3 (PC) with no medipacks/all secrets and for the first time in ages I decided to use whatever weapons I wanted rather than just the pistols. That makes some later areas and enemies far easier if you saved your best ammo.

I sometimes had stuff left over, like grenades, which I used for weaker enemy one shot kills which I rather enjoyed.

Still hate the effectively infinitely spawning wasps/hornets in Tinnos. They are an utter pain.

Does anyone actually spend the time killing all of them, particularly in the first nest?

Even on my minimal damage run where I had to repeat the secret area and get out multiple times before I managed it without any damage or dying I think it would have taken me longer to kill all 21 or however many there are which appear there.

Last edited by fallenangle; 05-02-21 at 12:16.