Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 26-03-17, 17:24   #521
red_lion

And... another discovery.

In the level "Bouchards hideout" you find Bouchard. Before the room with bouchard is a long room and in the end is a corner with a handtruck. It has the description: "Bittle Lob". This stands for "Little Bob".

Google Little Bob and you find: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Bob

Quote:
Little Bob Story is a French rock band with strong blues and rhythm 'n' blues influences. Lemmy from Motörhead features on the album Ringolevio (1987).
In 2011, the vocalist Roberto Piazza alias Little Bob plays himself in the movie Le Havre directed by Aki Kaurismäki, in competition at the 2011 edition of Festival de Cannes.
So this is a reference to Motörhead.

And in the sewers in the same level "Bouchards hideout" in above parisian ghetto (near le serpent rouge) you hear chatting and people who are dining.. It didn't hear this before..

Last edited by red_lion; 26-03-17 at 17:30.
red_lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-17, 23:13   #522
nakamichi680

Have you ever wondered what beta training area in Parisian Back Streets looks like?

As you may know, this area had many objects that were removed when the game went gold.
Geometry was lost but luckily collisions survived. I enjoy thinking about these objects like Dark matter: we know they're there (well, they were), we have an indirect sign of their presence but we cant's see them because collisions are invisible...

... until today

After struggling for days I've succeded in reverse engineering the collision files so now we can see levels in a completely different way.

This is how the beta training area used to be:

It seems there was a wall with a door in this alley. There was probably also a bin or something climbable to allow Lara to reach the ledge at the top.

I don't have a clue what it is but now I fully understand the gameplay of this area: first you climb the stairs and enter the structure. Then climb to the top and jump to the other side of the street (maybe there was an item). Go back to the lost structure and crawl through the little hole in it.

In this way you can avoid the cop and reach the other side of the street.

Since the shape of this object might be not easy to understand, I've removed some triangles to show better how it's inside.

The central hole is tall enough to allow Lara to stand.

So, after almost 14 years this mistery is solved!
Does it meet your expectations? How did you imagined this area?

DOWNLOAD OBJ: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByI...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by nakamichi680; 31-03-17 at 07:47.
nakamichi680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-17, 00:14   #523
Boobandie

Looks pretty cool. I always wondered why there was a pole to climb up when the stairs were right there but this makes a whole lot more sense. The cop would have seen you so you have to climb up and over him to avoid him and shimmy into the courtyard. Also the arch is clearly the loading point to reload the first map for the courtyard area. Core really did have to chop the level up for loading purposes didn't they.

Last edited by Boobandie; 30-03-17 at 00:16.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-17, 02:34   #524
Peterstar101

^^ That's so awesome! Amazing work, Nakamichi!

In that fourth screenshot wasn't that little crate meant to be an AC unit? IIRC, she had some leftover dialogue that mentioned climbing unto of an AC unit to reach a ledge.
Peterstar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-17, 05:27   #525
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterstar101 View Post
^^ That's so awesome! Amazing work, Nakamichi!

In that fourth screenshot wasn't that little crate meant to be an AC unit? IIRC, she had some leftover dialogue that mentioned climbing unto of an AC unit to reach a ledge.
There are posters on the missing box mesh so probably not, unless the posters were covering the fan.

There was an AC unit removed from the tutorial though. It was replaced with a ladder on the walkway with the window you can climb through to reach the platform above. It's still there in the mesh if you fly over from Industrial Rooftops.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-17, 13:35   #526
red_lion

Very nice discovery nakamichi!

There are other parts of PARIS1 that have no streets but you can fly here. Could you make a map what once was but knowdays isn't?
red_lion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-17, 14:48   #527
Caesum

Oh wow this is absolutely amazing! I have a question, nakamichi680, since you have managed to find out the shape of this place, would you be able to reproduce and fix it? It would be absolutely amazing to have the other half of the level completed and functional. I don't think there's really much to fix so far since the level is quite playable already.

If you could send me this collision geometry I could help you in thinking what it could have looked like. I remember seeing some old alpha videos and screenshots so maybe it would be possibel to recreate it.

About the bin, I think that infact it was that metallic box that's visible near the apartment block gate where the policeman is. It is practically of the same size.

Last edited by Caesum; 30-03-17 at 14:55.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 07:46   #528
nakamichi680

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lion View Post
Very nice discovery nakamichi!

There are other parts of PARIS1 that have no streets but you can fly here. Could you make a map what once was but knowdays isn't?
There are no collisions outside the gameplay area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Oh wow this is absolutely amazing! I have a question, nakamichi680, since you have managed to find out the shape of this place, would you be able to reproduce and fix it? It would be absolutely amazing to have the other half of the level completed and functional. I don't think there's really much to fix so far since the level is quite playable already.
Could you send me your level editor? Because I don't have one.

Joking apart, I've been asked this question hundreds of times.
The answer is always the same: it will be possible when it will be possible

Quote:
If you could send me this collision geometry I could help you in thinking what it could have looked like. I remember seeing some old alpha videos and screenshots so maybe it would be possibel to recreate it.
I've added the download link.
Old 31-03-17, 08:18   #529
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichi680 View Post
Could you send me your level editor? Because I don't have one.

Joking apart, I've been asked this question hundreds of times.
The answer is always the same: it will be possible when it will be possible
I'm asking because sasho has already half-fixed that level as far as I remember. He used HEX editor for that, but he also provided a level editor for TRAOD which can edit objects as far as I remember.

https://sites.google.com/site/tombra...tools/traod-le
https://sites.google.com/site/tombra...-finished-beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichi680 View Post
I've added the download link.
Great! Downloaded already. What 3D program do you use? I thought it's 3ds max, but it seems there's a bit of a problem with the importer. It shows that there are about 9 thousand faces in the file, yet when imported there's only one face visible. When I click on it and delete, others are in the same place, so I guess 3ds max must have imported it badly and destroyed the levelmesh.
EDIT: Okay,"import as one mesh" fixed it.

Last edited by Caesum; 31-03-17 at 08:21.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-17, 10:37   #530
nakamichi680

Quote:
I'm asking because sasho has already half-fixed that level as far as I remember. He used HEX editor for that, but he also provided a level editor for TRAOD which can edit objects as far as I remember.
Sasho's editor can only move objects, it can't edit nor add static meshes.

Quote:
Great! Downloaded already. What 3D program do you use? I thought it's 3ds max, but it seems there's a bit of a problem with the importer. It shows that there are about 9 thousand faces in the file, yet when imported there's only one face visible. When I click on it and delete, others are in the same place, so I guess 3ds max must have imported it badly and destroyed the levelmesh.
EDIT: Okay,"import as one mesh" fixed it.
You can also use MeshLab.