Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 18-06-21, 09:08   #8061
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRager View Post
Maybe in the future there should be a balance between auto aim and free aim? For example, dual weapons would automatically lock on and non dual weapons would have you aiming manually but not limiting acrobatics or such.

... or maybe just having both options as a whole, like in LAU, holding RMB will lock on, and pressing a specific button will allow you to aim manually, except that it shouldn't limit your movement.
They don't need to do that.

Duals manual aim works very well on the Avengers, so I'm pretty certain they will transition it into TR
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 09:38   #8062
killchan

imo there's not much of a point in duals if you can't hit 2 different targets at the same time.

... which we already have btw: the douple/triple shot skill from the rise and shadow does exactly that. They only need to have enemies locked-on after the first shot.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 10:01   #8063
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Honestly even as someone who loves shooters, I don't see why auto-aim is seemingly such a bad thing nowadays, especially for an (well, should be anyway) acrobatic focused game, I can't see playing Legend if Lara didn't lock onto targets with a controller being anything other than frustrating, there's a reason any game with acrobatic combat either has lock-on, plenty of slow-motion or both, it's kinda hard to line up shots while you're dodging around.
Auto aim is outdated and boring. There's nothing challenging about the LAU combat system. Also, there's more options then just have lock-on or slow motion (or "shooting galleries") when it comes to manual aiming on consoles.

Yesterday I played Returnal on a friend's PS5. I'm trash with stick aim because whenever I play a game with a controller, I use gyro aiming. But Returnal has an option for the amount of aim assist and it let me perform pretty well. And that game has very fast paced combat for a 3rd person console game.

Also gyro aiming is a really good option to make aiming with controllers almost as good as with a mouse. It's a real shame that Microsoft stopped to properly improve their controllers and still haven't put a gyro sensor into the new ones. And it's also a shame that not many PS4 and PS5 games have it, even when the same game on Nintendo Switch has gyro aiming.

Naughty Dog even patched gyro aiming into The Last of Us 2 and it makes aiming much better. Just look:

IMO this is the future of manual aiming on consoles and it'll hopefully help making games more challenging again so that the industry can finally move away from the shooting gallery style of combat that we had to endure more and more since the early 2000s.

And as for acrobatics: Lara's side flips are just an animation. Those moves aren't so different from the mid-air evasion moves in Returnal. If anything, evading enemy fire in Returnal requires more inputs than jumping sideways in TR.

So, gyro aiming and an option to have more aim assist for stick aim (which isn't the same as lock-on auto aim) could help a lot to make combat in TR faster paced and more acrobatic.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 10:31   #8064
killchan

^--- all systems have a place, it all depends on the encounters.

Parasite Ever 3rd birthday on PSP had lock-on, and you might say "it's outdated, it's boring, there's no challenge" etc, but if you play the game for 2 minutes you'll notice that you do need lock-on , cause you have enemies charging you from all sides , they're all fast , relentless and you also need to manage your squad of vessels.
Old 18-06-21, 10:54   #8065
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
They don't need to do that.

Duals manual aim works very well on the Avengers, so I'm pretty certain they will transition it into TR
Increasing amounts of games these days have well adjustable combat options from free aim, to slight aim assist to full aim assist.

TLOU2 has an aim assist and an auto aim option. There is really no reason TR couldn't do it too.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 12:12   #8066
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
^--- all systems have a place, it all depends on the encounters.

Parasite Ever 3rd birthday on PSP had lock-on, and you might say "it's outdated, it's boring, there's no challenge" etc, but if you play the game for 2 minutes you'll notice that you do need lock-on , cause you have enemies charging you from all sides , they're all fast , relentless and you also need to manage your squad of vessels.
In certain PSP games you need lock on because there's only one analogue stick. I've played a lot of Infected on the PSP which is also pretty fast paced with enemies coming from all sides and that game also has a lock on mechanism. I love that game but I don't think that the same combat system should be put into games on systems where you have two analogue sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Increasing amounts of games these days have well adjustable combat options from free aim, to slight aim assist to full aim assist.

TLOU2 has an aim assist and an auto aim option. There is really no reason TR couldn't do it too.
That could also be an options, ideally additionally to having gyro aim (which TLOU2 does).

Quote:
imo there's not much of a point in duals if you can't hit 2 different targets at the same time.
There is. A lot of games handle it this way: Use only one weapon and you have more accuracy but less damage or use two and have more damage but less accuracy. This works really well in the new Wolfenstein games and Fortnite.

Last edited by Wooxman; 18-06-21 at 12:14.
Old 18-06-21, 12:22   #8067
killchan

I don't know , I'd rather take the chance and do something different that just do the same thing as every 3PS ever but with a different animation.

Slo-mo, multitargeting, acrobatics... there are so many possibilities.

Check this out. https://youtu.be/z59b8J1j5sk?t=73
Old 18-06-21, 13:04   #8068
Wooxman

Quote:
I don't know , I'd rather take the chance and do something different that just do the same thing as every 3PS ever but with a different animation.

Slo-mo, multitargeting, acrobatics... there are so many possibilities.

Check this out. https://youtu.be/z59b8J1j5sk?t=73
That's a sidescroller. And it has manual aiming.

It's possible to have slo-mo, multitargeting and acrobatics in a game with manual aiming. Wet did this ages ago. https://youtu.be/5SeSLKb8_Gc?t=817
Old 18-06-21, 13:13   #8069
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
That's a sidescroller. And it has manual aiming.

It's possible to have slo-mo, multitargeting and acrobatics in a game with manual aiming. Wet did this ages ago. https://youtu.be/5SeSLKb8_Gc?t=817
sure, why not.

anything is better than more of the same at this point.
Old 18-06-21, 13:24   #8070
JuditePrince12

Let's keep the free aim as the base option but if they want to make the game more accessible, then sure add auto aim or increased aim assist. Having the gameplay solely dedicated to auto aim is something I never want to see again. The lock on makes the shooting unweighted its pretty annoying to switch between targets. Lara can be acrobatic while shooting by replacing that horrid scramble with a few flips and an actual dive roll when she leaps into cover, or if she tries to cover ground. As for shooting several targets, maybe there can be a sort of adrenaline mode making Lara aim and shoot targets faster while everyone else moves slower. Idk if anyone has ever played the game SUPERHOT but something like that would be pretty cool
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote