Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 07-12-18, 09:02   #1
kyleliddell22

Default Wishlist for the next Tomb Raider game

I posted this list on Twitter about a month ago, and it incited some interesting discussion, so I thought I'd post it here. Feel free to add your suggestions for the next game.

DISCLAIMER: This is directly copied from my Twitter. If I have any new opinions, I'll indicate them.

*If there are any disagreements, I am literally BEGGING you to dispute them in a civil manner. There is absolutely no reason to use accusatory language. Don't assume things about anyone based on one of their opinions. You'd think this would be a given, but this site has made a reputation for itself as one of the nastiest places to discuss this stuff.*

Some of these can be added in patches or DLC, which is also very appreciated.

1. Dual pistols: Yes I still want them. Sue me. There’s literally no reason why she can’t have them AND the bow.

2. Globetrotting: A hub for every area she visits? Yes please. Urban locations could be used for merchants, so we don’t have to keep shoehorning lost civilizations into every game.

3. “All full up” dialogue removed: While you’re at it, take it out of Shadow in a future patch.

4. Sam and Reyes: Obvi [EDIT: Obvi as in the other side characters from 2013 had just as much, if not more, potential than Jonah that I'd like to see realized. Ultimately, I really don't care if they return, but I definitely don't want another reboot. Therefore, assuming we're in the same timeline, there's no reason why they can't return.]

5. Better narrative: Plan it out from the beginning. The last trilogy seemed stitched together last minute. Trinity felt useless. Either choose stand-alone stories or an overarching narrative. Don’t half-ass both.

6. No more lost civilizations: It’s been done to death. Stick to the supernatural. This also avoids that pesky “white woman killing indigenous people” problem.

7. Stylish outfits: The new outfits are fine imo, but if I don’t get a flannel shirt and cuffed jeans look at some point after y’all had the audacity to tease them on the last comic covers, I might die.

8. Camilla: If she doesn’t come back, then it would be cool to have Keeley or Shelley return. [EDIT: I've actually changed my opinion on this. I'm ready for a change. I love Camilla dearly, but she doesn't seem interested in returning. I'd love to hear a new voice.]

9. Croft Manor: This is a staple. I’d love for it to return as a normal part of the game. The old formula or the new story driven exploration formula is cool with me, I just want it back permanently.

10. Legend/Anniversary/Underworld old school models: Keep the classic ones, but add the LAU ones too. Some of us (me) primarily grew up with those games.

11. No more forced outfits: For example the blue tunic. I’m fine with this during the first playthrough, but in New Game+ or even a subsequent New Game seems like overkill.

12. Overhauled combat system: The current system works best as stealth-until-you-get-caught-then-shoot-everything. Her nerfed health really made it less fun in Shadow. (I’d really like all non-boss human combat eliminated, but I know I’m in the minority.)

13. Polished platforming: I adore that platforming is a huge focus of Shadow, but it’s a little too glitchy to completely rely on. I more polished system would be lovely in the future.

14. Female mercenaries: I want generic female mercs. It irks me to the core that Lara is basically one of 4 women in the entire world in this universe. Having two female side characters isn’t progressive.
kyleliddell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 09:24   #2
charmedangelin

We already have a thread for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleliddell22 View Post
DISCLAIMER: this site has made a reputation for itself as one of the nastiest places to discuss this stuff.
Don't know why, but I'm dying every time I read this.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 07-12-18 at 09:26.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 14:57   #3
NoahCrofRaider

Even though there is a thread for this (though I don’t remember where), I completely agree with your list. This is basically what I want for the next game.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 00:53   #4
Alterjano

I love the points that you bring up and I agree with them. One thing, I would like to add to the list is for Lara's character to be better written in the next TR game. She is the lifeblood of the franchise and she deserves a story-line that is eons away from parental and nonsensical drama issues. If Uncharted can make its characters (Nathan, Elena, Sully, Chloe) stand out and be likable, I don't see why Tomb Raider can't do the same as well.

Personally, I want the series to move towards a lighter tone like Tomb Raider Legend with a Lara who enjoys an adventurous lifestyle and does witty banter, pretty well with Jonah and her old/new friends. Personally, I believe the dark and gritty stuff is not going to work long term, because by the end of SOTTR, Lara is at peace with herself. If the writers undo that development, I will very unhappy because she has gone through so much. I just want Lara to have fun and be passionate about the things that she loves doing. Whether that's through her funny quips or lively sarcastic remarks, I don't mind as long as the writers convey that on-screen, so that the audience can fall in love with her character.

Last edited by Alterjano; 08-12-18 at 01:01.
Alterjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 21:05   #5
Profc

Quote:

14. Female mercenaries: I want generic female mercs. It irks me to the core that Lara is basically one of 4 women in the entire world in this universe. Having two female side characters isn’t progressive.
I don't think this is actually true.
Lara, The Rebel Queen, The Leader of the Monsters, Jonah's new friend Abby are the 4 big female characters in the main story line. Lara's Mother appears in the flashback, and the archeologist in Peru is in the main storyline.

There is that murder mystery side quest with the housewife and the servant girl. There is that inspired little girl, who is trying to read the tablets. There are three intractable nuns in the village, who can give you missions. There is that sick mother that needs the medicine, the lady at the graveyard in Peru. I haven't fully finished the side quests but I already count more than 11 female characters that you can interact with, and 5 of them appear in the main story line. I remember many other female characters that you can interact with that doesn't really involve the missions.This game is quite progressive; for every main male character there is a female counterpart.

Rourke - the Yaaxil leader
Dominguez - the rebel leader Queen Uranatu
Jonah - Abby
Lara's Father - Lara's mother

I am seeing 2 female leaders, 1 female protagonist, 1 very capable mechanic, another talented archeologist, and a positive role model mother. Plus countless Patiti and Peru female characters.

I would have loved to see a boss battle with the Yaaxil General, but that never happened. Lara hasn't killed a single living women character yet.

Last edited by Profc; 12-12-18 at 21:11.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 22:26   #6
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
I love Camilla dearly, but she doesn't seem interested in returning.
!!! You got evidence for this?
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 22:30   #7
Patrick star

Wishlist thread number 3463

Anyway , straight out of the other thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
- A darker , morally ambiguous Lara Croft who doesn't play the white knight all the time .

- I need most of the game to be spent in total solitude . As in : Lara + the characters of the story + the enemies . Over crowded main hubs , countless NPCs and their missions , and the "living with culture" thingy can go away completely for all I care .

- I wouldn't like them to go down the "bigger" path in the next game , focus on fixing the flaws of the hubs instead of making them even bigger . The size of Rise's hubs was the ideal one .

- Vehicles for sure ! It's about time they get back to the franchise !

- Get rid of the one country per game structure , I need proper globe-trotting back .

- Personally , I don't wish to see any trace of snow or jungle in the next game , lol .

- The next game's plot MUST be better than Shadow's at least , which shouldn't be a difficult challenge tbh .

That's all I can think of at the moment
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 23:15   #8
NYCL@R@

Im ready for a huge overhaul. Somewhat a continuation from this reboot but a much more mature Lara. I really want to see classic/comic book iteration of her in this coming generation. Something close to the classics and I know we all use “classic” a lot but we need something that still plays along with the times but with a touch of the spark from the classics.
NYCL@R@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 23:23   #9
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCL@R@ View Post
Im ready for a huge overhaul. Somewhat a continuation from this reboot but a much more mature Lara. I really want to see classic/comic book iteration of her in this coming generation. Something close to the classics and I know we all use “classic” a lot but we need something that still plays along with the times but with a touch of the spark from the classics.
Just make her into a self confident girl who's sometimes brash with loads of personality, but still has a soft side when it comes to doing what is right.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 23:55   #10
Legends

I just want an awesome Lara Croft back. Like this:

Legends is offline   Reply With Quote