Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-01-20, 20:34   #6121
Quebsenuef

SH4 monsters were generally scraping the bottom of the barrel for monster ideas.
Some of them were scary, like the Twin Victims! They’re still one of my favorites!

But the burping nurses, the monkey sounding monsters.. they’re not scary.. they’re definitely more funny than horrifying.

That being said I still think SH4 is a great game. The story and plot are amazing and the towards the end when Henry discovers Walter’s corpse in his apartment.. I had to shut the game off, I was so disgusted and disturbed by that.. really actually shocked me haha
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 20:46   #6122
dg1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I like its apperance somewhat. (I don't mind the odd humanoid enemy)

The sound effect for them was bad. (though not the first one, remember the dogs that make Chimpanze noises.)
I haven't played SH 4, but I've seen it enough on the internet to know that it had lots of bad design choices aside from sound effects for some monsters.

-A friendly NPC that you can't give any commands to her.(And you should outrun her in order to make her stay in one room.RE 4 at least allows you to give commands to Ashley.)

-You can't heal her that much aside from putting candles beside her. But even that will effect her for a short time.
And for some reason the damage on her body will start to appear when you finish the subway world for the second time instead of showing from the first to make players realize that they should look out for her and prevent enemies from damaging her.

-You have to go back to apartment to use your item box. The developers should have added item boxes in the areas rather than just your apartment.

-The worst ending should have been a game over ending for the final bossfight battle. It was like a slap on the faces of players to give them that for beating the game.(Especially on harder difficulties that makes getting the good endings harder.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 08:42   #6123
michaeldt

I just bought a very good condition copy of SH1 the other day, very excited to play it for the first time . I hope tbh that SH2-4 make their way to the PS store in the form of PS2 classics some day.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 11:56   #6124
RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
I just bought a very good condition copy of SH1 the other day, very excited to play it for the first time . I hope tbh that SH2-4 make their way to the PS store in the form of PS2 classics some day.
And Origins.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 17:10   #6125
trfan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I haven't played SH 4, but I've seen it enough on the internet to know that it had lots of bad design choices aside from sound effects for some monsters.

-A friendly NPC that you can't give any commands to her.(And you should outrun her in order to make her stay in one room.RE 4 at least allows you to give commands to Ashley.)

-You can't heal her that much aside from putting candles beside her. But even that will effect her for a short time.
And for some reason the damage on her body will start to appear when you finish the subway world for the second time instead of showing from the first to make players realize that they should look out for her and prevent enemies from damaging her.

-You have to go back to apartment to use your item box. The developers should have added item boxes in the areas rather than just your apartment.

-The worst ending should have been a game over ending for the final bossfight battle. It was like a slap on the faces of players to give them that for beating the game.(Especially on harder difficulties that makes getting the good endings harder.)
I love SH4, but a lot of these reasons you posted are some of the reasons why I can't replay the game. First off, I've never been able to save Eileen in my dozens of playthroughs of this game. You just can't do anything with her without it being detrimental. You can't leave her alone for too long or else she will start becoming possessed. There are also parts of the game where there are TONS of enemies in one room and she will have to take damage. Like in Prison World, there's a room full of 6 twin head monsters in one room. TBH, her character is really not bad as an AI character. She can actually hold her ground against most enemies. Unfortunately, the game has strict requirements on keeping her alive and you can't even heal her completely.

I'm also not a fan of completing the same worlds two times over either. I get that the previous SH games had the normal and otherworld versions of the same places. But at least in the otherworld version had new enemies, new rooms that could be entered, and even change how the old rooms looked.

I also hate the ghosts in this game and the fact that you can't kill them. Sure, there's the Sword of Obedience that can in them down permanently. But there are only 5 of them and should be saved for the "special ghosts" like Cynthia and Jasper. I hated that damn old lady ghost so much since she's in every single world.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 17:26   #6126
paulojr_mam

Yes, SH4 is frustratingly hard, it's way too much, I don't know what they were thinking, it's ridiculous.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 22:51   #6127
jajay119

I wish that they had made origins straight up for the PS2. Its such an enjoyable game and for me is the best one after the original trilogy but it's so bogged down by its limitations of being designed on the PSP. I really wish Konami had allowed Climax time to jazz up the PS2 version.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 23:10   #6128
paulojr_mam

Yeah, Origins is the best Silent Hill experience after 4. Actually, the only one that's good as a SH game after 4, IMO. And it could indeed be better if made mainly for consoles.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 12:13   #6129
dg1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I wish that they had made origins straight up for the PS2. Its such an enjoyable game and for me is the best one after the original trilogy but it's so bogged down by its limitations of being designed on the PSP. I really wish Konami had allowed Climax time to jazz up the PS2 version.
At least you should be grateful that the game didn't turn out like this:

I think the main reason that they made it on PSP was due to the failure of Silent Hill 4 and 3.(Since those 2 games sold less than SH 2 and 1 so SH was a dying franchise that couldn't afford a AAA game for some years.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-20, 12:21   #6130
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
I love SH4, but a lot of these reasons you posted are some of the reasons why I can't replay the game. First off, I've never been able to save Eileen in my dozens of playthroughs of this game. You just can't do anything with her without it being detrimental. You can't leave her alone for too long or else she will start becoming possessed. There are also parts of the game where there are TONS of enemies in one room and she will have to take damage. Like in Prison World, there's a room full of 6 twin head monsters in one room. TBH, her character is really not bad as an AI character. She can actually hold her ground against most enemies. Unfortunately, the game has strict requirements on keeping her alive and you can't even heal her completely.

I'm also not a fan of completing the same worlds two times over either. I get that the previous SH games had the normal and otherworld versions of the same places. But at least in the otherworld version had new enemies, new rooms that could be entered, and even change how the old rooms looked.

I also hate the ghosts in this game and the fact that you can't kill them. Sure, there's the Sword of Obedience that can in them down permanently. But there are only 5 of them and should be saved for the "special ghosts" like Cynthia and Jasper. I hated that damn old lady ghost so much since she's in every single world.
I love how they actually made several versions of EVERY cutscene in the second half of the game.. depending on how possessed Eileen was.
Think there is a video on YT showing them all.
Was quite interesting..
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote