www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 22-02-21, 20:13   #81
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
No, she shouldn't.

And besides, we don't need a boring "tribe origin" story. Pretty sure, no one cares about that. People just care about platforming and shooting things.
The story wouldn't have to take up a whole game, South Pacific would just add a few more cutscenes to provide proper context. Core intended for the tribe to be corrupted by the stone, but that wasn't shown off well originally due to lack of cutscenes and story.

Adding a few cutscenes wouldn't really change much.
Old 22-02-21, 20:24   #82
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I agree. I also think the whole 'cannibal' thing which people seem to think is an issue was just poorly written. I never thought the tribes were cannibals and was surprised other people did. To me the cut scene where Lara tells the guy its not normal for them to 'eat off the bone', how much of his leg was missing and him saying her didn't see what really got him as it was dark and then you immediately meet dinosaurs in the next game always meant to me that the dinosaur is what ate the guy's leg and the tribe were just using the dinosaurs to keep people away. I think that's the route they'd go down if they ever re did it.
Old 22-02-21, 20:28   #83
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
They actually did this nicely in the second Angelina movie. Lara basically blamed the other armed men coming to the village. Movie was garbage, but I liked that part.

I am also super tired with the camps and the bow and arrow. Most fans really miss the globe trotting.
Bow and Arrow is the most hideous thing to happen to Lara's perfectly designed silhouette. It's so messy and ugly and looks downright dysfunctional with that razor wire cutting into her chest and that huge wooden bow jutting out over her head while she jumps and climbs around. Just get rid of it as a main weapon.

But the camp fires excite me. Their implementation isn't diverse and fun enough, but it's very exciting getting to one and being able to upgrade everything, change clothes, read new field notes, unlock new abilities. It's all your hard work paying off and you leave the campsite more equip for adventure. Really do like it.

I just think they could make it more of an epic experience arriving to one, or do a couple of different variations. Like a jeep with a dashboard where you navigate an operating system. Maybe meet your team there. Maybe do a picturesque landscape shot with Lara in the corner where the camera pulls out, and then the square in the middle of the screen is the menu. They should make it more grand, like the old live loading screens.

Last edited by Moon-Safari; 22-02-21 at 20:29.
Moon-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 20:40   #84
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I agree. I also think the whole 'cannibal' thing which people seem to think is an issue was just poorly written. I never thought the tribes were cannibals and was surprised other people did. To me the cut scene where Lara tells the guy its not normal for them to 'eat off the bone', how much of his leg was missing and him saying her didn't see what really got him as it was dark and then you immediately meet dinosaurs in the next game always meant to me that the dinosaur is what ate the guy's leg and the tribe were just using the dinosaurs to keep people away. I think that's the route they'd go down if they ever re did it.
I never thought about that, I always assumed the tribe had eaten his leg.

The tribe actually using the Dinos to keep people away sounds like the best explanation to the rumors and stories of the tribe being cannibals, and a nice twist.

Now that I think of it, the tribe guy was probably trying to spoke Lara knowing that people spread stories about their cannibalistic nature. Plus in the village we never see any human remains or anything indicating that they actually ate people.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 22-02-21 at 20:45.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 20:52   #85
Tsarina
Explorer

I personally like a good blend, similar to what they did in the classics and the reboot. Tomb Raider 2 for example I loved exploring Venice and the opera house, and even at the end having a level that took place in Lara's mansion. I enjoyed the city rooftops in Tomb Raider 3 with Sophia, and of course some of the levels of Tomb Raider Chronicles such as Streets of Rome, and TR AOD the Parisian Streets. Tomb Raider has always had a mixture of urban levels and tomb raiding. I don't think tombs should be gotten rid of but expanded upon in those other environments.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-21, 23:48   #86
Boobandie
Professor

Do you guys know that real polynesian tribes practiced cannibalism all over the pacific islands? There's nothing wrong with that aspect of TR3 aside from the tribe itself being poorly written.

As far as our aussie friend's leg goes, I think a dino did eat it in the night, 'It's not usual for them to eat right off the bone like that...', but he thinks it was a tribesman because that's the more reasonable assumption to make after he and his crew were captured and he watched everyone else be killed and eaten. The only person Lara speaks to from the tribe then confirms they do eat people.

The dinosaurs are probably just a source of fresh meat for the tribe, you do see a raptor strung up.

Last edited by Boobandie; 22-02-21 at 23:50.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-21, 01:48   #87
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

Let's take a break from tribes. So far it adds nothing to the story. Maybe a little bcuz we get some insight on the myth of the game but that's about it. Paititi and its people were as important as the soles on Lara's boots. Only thing that took place was Lara sneaking here, then escaping there repeated 3 times until she left again to the missionary. How about we go back to the idea of abandoned and secluded places like the flooded archives and fill them will mystery, puzzles and combat.
Old 23-02-21, 02:10   #88
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
Let's take a break from tribes. So far it adds nothing to the story. Maybe a little bcuz we get some insight on the myth of the game but that's about it. Paititi and its people were as important as the soles on Lara's boots. Only thing that took place was Lara sneaking here, then escaping there repeated 3 times until she left again to the missionary. How about we go back to the idea of abandoned and secluded places like the flooded archives and fill them will mystery, puzzles and combat.
Big agree. I get that they wanted to build a supporting cast but they obviously don't have the skills needed to make any of them memorable.
Old 23-02-21, 08:55   #89
Tombraider95
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
For sure. Although Lara saying "it isn't usual for them to eat right off of the bone like that" to me implies they do eat human flesh, but they don't eat it raw. They'd prepare and cook it first, hence why it most likely was a dinosaur instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
I am also super tired with the camps and the bow and arrow. Most fans really miss the globe trotting.
Agreed.
Old 23-02-21, 12:14   #90
TR-Freak
Relic Hunter

Good Point about Opera House being a "modern tomb".
Tombs definitely need to stay and they should be even more present.

What the reboot lacks is isolated atmosphere.
Lara is never truly alone (it's just like Zip and Alister again) and once she is alone, you are already running from crumbling boulders and do QTEs. You blink once and the isolation ended.
I wouldn't like actual cities like Paris though.
Locations like aldwych and the sewers of london or the archeological dig site are perfectly fine.