Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 26-01-19, 22:07   #11
Reggie

Hybrid but firmly moving away from parent-focused storylining. Choose the best bits of each incarnation. Definitely more the classic look and personality - it's still the Lara most fans, gamers and even non-gamers recognise.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 22:13   #12
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Hybrid but firmly moving away from parent-focused storylining. Choose the best bits of each incarnation. Definitely more the classic look and personality - it's still the Lara most fans, gamers and even non-gamers recognise.
I'd be happy with this
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 22:27   #13
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
I'd say that, after playing the game, one of the main problems with the "lack of combat" is also that basically all hubs but one were social environments without random combat encounters. Both TReboot and RotTR would throw some enemies in the hubs for us to kill from time to time.
I see the complaints but I personally loved that. It was a risky but subversive move, that encouraged exploration and allowed the player to gain excitement from discovering something new rather than from bombastic set-pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
For that specific audience who prefer action games I don't think it would go over well, but there will always be a market for puzzle games in general imo.
Most definitely, but like GeekofComedy said, I think if they went that route, it would be a smaller release, with a more independent studio. As you stated, they could lower the amount of cutscenes to save costs, but that would be a bold move. Games nowadays have 3 hours of cutscenes, at the least.

Last edited by TrustyBow; 26-01-19 at 23:28.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 22:37   #14
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
This would be great. But for me personally, going back to the series’ roots is probably what I would prefer. I love LAU and the reboot, but I do seriously miss having a TR game like the classics and with classic Lara too. It would be nice if they changed the grid system and did something more in line with AoD (without the bugs and flaws of course), but that would be fine still.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 23:03   #15
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post

Most definitely, but like GeekofComedy said, I think if they went that route, it would be a smaller release, with a more independent studio. As you stated, they could lower the amount of cutscenes to save costs, but that would be a bold move. Games nowadays have 3 hours of gameplay, at the least.

Did you mean to say cutscenes instead of gameplay there?

I don't think that's a risk at all especially for something not geared toward the AAA mainstream audience. Tons of games are super successful without 3 hours of cutscenes. There are lots of gamers who don't like to be bogged down with a lot of cutscenes, myself included.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 23:20   #16
_Seth

Quote:
Back to the Roots - Scrap the reboot style altogether and move forward with a stylish and campy classic feeling Tomb Raider experience. Less realistic, cartoon/ comic book style, Loner Lara, cheeky one liners, lever/ key/ back and forth collecting style puzzles in big environments that overall link to one another, acrobatic combat. Very challenging with no hand-holding, geared for a more hardcore audience.

Hybrid - Mesh modern Tomb Raider with Classic Tomb Raider. I personally consider LAU to be a hybrid style of classic and current, but honestly there are tons of way to merge them leaning more or less in either direction
I think some of your definitions are a bit disagreeable. I never would have found the classic one to be terribly campy and certainly not comic book style. Even a modern interpretation of what the classics would be I don't think would be comic book style.

You say you consider LAU a combination classic and reboot, if you mean it has classic branding and face value but with reboot shallow tomb/level design, then yeah. Otherwise they're very different in terms of image and even a lot in playstyle.

To answer the actual question I would love a back to the roots style (but not as you describe it). It would take TR1 level design philosophies, music, sense of discovery and tomb beauty, wrapped in an AoD tone and set up with a similar scale storyline. It would take the control scheme of reboot for the most part and a similar combat style, but mostly with animal enemies/monsters/animated statues, with a blindfire by just pressing Shoot without Aim that has a semi-auto aim. It would have to be developed by a studio other than CD and EM, preferably a British studio.

If they, whoever "they" would end up being, would return to the classic continuity, then I made a post about how the original timeline could be brought back into the public eye:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
You know, with all the 83million different continuities and timelines for TR, I thought I'd have some fun imagining how the original Core Design continuity could possibly come back into the public eye as a return to and as the main series again. Just to establish, this is not me trying to combine the timelines into one and make it work that way, this is to establish how the original timeline could be brought back into the public eye as the current and future continuity again. Now, because a lot of the pre-reboot continuities do, at face value, resemble classic TR, I wondered how the series image could be "cleansed," or tidied up a bit and this is what I came up with...

Taking inspiration from the first 45 seconds of this, imagine an announcement trailer with these textcards in conjunction with matching footage from the first 6 TR's:
- "She discovered Atlantis' powers of creation and prevented Jacqueline Natla from creating a human race successor."
- "She hunted and took the Dagger of Xian from the Fiamma Nera cult leader Marco Bartoli, and prevented them gaining the power of the dragon."
- "She found all known Meteorite-formed artefacts before stopping Dr Willard from forcing the acceleration of human evolution."
- "Then, after unleashing the evil Egyptian God Set, she raced against her childhood mentor, Werner Von Croy, to imprison Set once more, before becoming buried in a tomb of her own."
- "Even though she was presumed dead, her backpack was discovered by Von Croy... She lived."
- "She avenged the murder of her once mentor by the angel- demon hybrid, Joachim Karel, and destroyed his Nephilim essence and key to re-breed the extinct race."
- "Today... The original and the best, the first lady of gaming - Lara Croft - returns"
- "(insert new setup here. )"
...followed by a stylish and sophisticated reveal of classic Lara in a modern classic outfit - twin pistols, braid and backpack and all - as the OG theme tune hits. It sounds cringeworthy, but with finessed text and with the right editing and music I think it could be done in a non-cheesy way.

To further solidify the de-brand, if such a game existed, in the Extras menu could be a bit about "Alternative Continuities" which lists the Top Cow Comic Books Series, The Angelina Jolie Motion Pictures, The Legend Trilogy, The Survivor Trilogy, and The Alicia Vikander Motion Picture. These would mention the different setups with a brief overview of their universes.

One big part in making something like this work would be consistent brand image uniformity. I would have imagined a modernised version of the EU TR2-5 logo being the consistent brand image standard, and the next game would use this and be called TOMB RAIDER VII: (subtitle). In such a game's Extras menu could be a breakdown of the "current" universe's 6-games. Without going as far as to rewrite history, however, and to simplify and unify how somewhat messy Core's brand image was, this breakdown of games would need to include the Roman numerals that were missing from the existing TR4-6 logos as to define their place and order, the TR1 and 6 logos would need to be matched with the others, and AoD's "Lara Croft" would have to be dropped from the title. Picture this. I justify all this by the fact that if Star Wars Episode 4 can release without a subtitle and later be called Episode 4: A New Hope, and if Raiders of the Lost Ark can retroactively be renamed to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, why can't these tweaks happen? XD

I wonder if this sort of thing would be "enough" to clean up the image of TR, all of its universes, serve as a way to get OG Lara back and if it would "convince" the general public.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 23:33   #17
charmedangelin

Back to the roots please, Tomb Raider had an unique identity. I don't want to do something brand new with a whole other reboot, I'd rather just go back to the roots.

Although if they had to reboot it then I would love a reboot exactly like DOX remake.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 23:34   #18
TrustyBow

Quote:
Did you mean to say cutscenes instead of gameplay there?

I don't think that's a risk at all especially for something not geared toward the AAA mainstream audience. Tons of games are super successful without 3 hours of cutscenes. There are lots of gamers who don't like to be bogged down with a lot of cutscenes, myself included.
Ah I did Thanks for the correction. And if we're talking a non AAA release, then yes, I would agree. Less cutscene's would be a huge benefit and wouldn't draw audiences away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I think some of your definitions are a bit disagreeable. I never would have found the classic one to be terribly campy and certainly not comic book style. Even a modern interpretation of what the classics would be I don't think would be comic book style.
You wouldn't call a game where the protagonist goes on floating islands and defeats a dragon with two handguns, campy?
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 23:42   #19
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
You wouldn't call a game where the protagonist goes on floating islands and defeats a dragon with two handguns, campy?
It's all about the way it's presented, so no. Chronicles kinda, only. Then Legend and Anniversary really committed to being campy.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-19, 23:43   #20
charmedangelin

Although I can see how that could be a bit confusing to some people. We had a whole triogy focused on her origins so some people might roll their eyes and say, "oh great another origns story" even though a back to the roots wouldn't be that at all.

I think they need to push Lara far into the future from where she is in Shadow and make her be like classic Lara without any explination. It would be like a soft reboot where it isn't scrapping anything, just reformulating things on a new path.

I think this would be the best way and they can market it and make it like Nicobus remake with an adult classic Lara Croft and not need to explain what happened between here and there.

We would start with Lara having some fun roughing up some badies and raiding a complicated tomb.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote