Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 06-02-19, 17:03   #51
Yeauxleaux

I wanna know how and why people think open world is either necessary or appropriate for Tomb Raider tbh

The main event of Tomb Raider is, well, the tombs yknow? I don't really care to see Lara trekking across the country to reach the main attraction. Some outdoorsy areas are nice and can be semi-open but I don't see a need for a huge open map littered with small meagre tombs.

Again I don't know why people think it's a binary option of railroad linearity or no holds barred full open world. There's a lot in between those options. We can still have complex sprawling big levels that are not linear, but still self-contained.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 06-02-19 at 17:05.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 18:09   #52
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I wanna know how and why people think open world is either necessary or appropriate for Tomb Raider tbh
It's not, the classics levels were linear but they were large levels with lots of details and chambers to explore.

This is why Linear gameplay is better for TR, but don't say the word Linear, people will act like you've said a bad word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal20608 View Post
With Linearity:the exploration gets boring after a while and you are stuck to this cut out path there isn’t even backtracking. You are stuck to this minimum space and after the game you have nothing to do. I’d love the feeling of after the main story you can explore find new things to do and more tombs to raid and crypts to discover.
Why do people act like Linear means a straight line?

Were classics boring to you?

Last edited by charmedangelin; 06-02-19 at 18:12.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 18:24   #53
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
It's not, the classics levels were linear but they were large levels with lots of details and chambers to explore.

This is why Linear gameplay is better for TR, but don't say the word Linear, people will act like you've said a bad word.

Because it generally does, especially these days in gaming, where many games do seem stuck between a binary dichotomy of straight a-b linearity or outright open.

The classic games were less linear. Many levels offered a series of small hubs that connected with eachother for complexity, different routes and orders in which you could do things, lots of verticality instead of just a straight-forward path, backtracking etc. They weren't strictly linear levels even if they might have had only one entrace and one exit. They were not open world either by any means, but they were not strictly linear.

I remember someone (I think it was Dennis' Mom) said once on here - "You didn't play a level, you solved a level" and I really liked that.

Again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I don't know why people think it's a binary option of railroad linearity or no holds barred full open world. There's a lot in between those options. We can still have complex sprawling big levels that are not linear, but still self-contained.
This is a good discription of how video games can be open or more linear;

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...rityVsOpenness

It's actually a sliding scale and it is relative. However like I said, I feel that many current AAA games are (for some weird reason) being shoehorned into being at either end of the scale given on this page, we're not seeing a lot of balance.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 06-02-19 at 18:26.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 18:26   #54
Costel

I don`t care in what place Lara goes next.
I just want tombs where I am lost and I try to find my way out or to the artifact I am looking for.

„I am back here. Why? What did I missed? I should go back. Oh look a hidden switch in the wall. Oh it opens a path. Ah a lever. Oh it does this. Now where do I go next?„

I love reboot games but I hate their linearity especially inside tombs.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 18:41   #55
paulojr_mam

I think "backtracking" has become a bad word around the PS2 era. And backtracking is a need in open linearity like the classics had. Tombs should be the main attraction, but the classics also had some areas around the tombs, like forests, deserts, PSIV's hubs. The difference is they were levels in themselves with their own challenges to solve. I know many disagree, but the hubs of reboot to me are busywork to get to the part I really want and filler to artificially enlarge the game. I've read many say they like the hubs because they like finding the entrance to the tombs and stuff, but you were doing that in the classics too, except it was in levels, not in a boring hub.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 18:42   #56
Cal20608

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

LINEAR:arranged in or extending along a straight or nearly straight line.
I enjoyed the classics I’ve been able to play very much, but I’m just saying what I’d like to see I see some things that could be implemented with an open world I id think I’d be fun it’s just my opinion that I wanted to share.
Cal20608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 19:55   #57
Linoshi Croft

Open world is a no no from me. Crystal have already turned Tomb Raider into a pointless collectaphon and it'd only get worse if the game went open world. At the moment open world games tend to either focus on scale and not fill the world with meaningful content or they cram so much subpar content in under the guise of there's so much to do, that the gameplay quickly becomes monotonous. I don't want either of those things for Tomb Raider.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 20:27   #58
paulojr_mam

^Yes, open world makes devs think lazyness is correct. Most open worlds feel like they've come from a randomizer program, lacking new content and being repetitive. Everything usually doesn't feel thought-out, but simply tacked-on. TR's hubs already are like that. That's why the tombs are the best part. Being thought-out takes the effort to, well, think it. The tombs are good because they're small and so don't take that much effort. The hubs are big, so to make them good would take much more effort. Imagine every collectable in one reboot game's hubs being a designed challenge, how much more effort that would take?! I think Zelda BotW was so acclaimed because it did open world right, there is a lot of it that's designed. But that game took a lot of time to make, with many delays to boot (also, it's Nintendo).

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 06-02-19 at 20:41.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 20:44   #59
Nerdy

Im trying an tombraider marathon, and im now at tr2.

I think those levels are huge. Especially for that time. I dont even see the classics as “linear”. You dont have imo a straight forwarded line and you can actually explore without forced animations. You can get lost. Like each level is an huge open area.

I dont want hubs back with camps.
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 20:44   #60
isanvel

i really don't like the hubs idea tbh, there's some parts of the game
that you can't access anymore because it's only in the beginning
of the game instead of the hubs they could get together the whole map
isanvel is offline   Reply With Quote