Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 17-01-20, 08:26   #31
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i havent read it yet but it's a part of TR history so i think it deserved to be brought back to light
Good.
Don’t read it. I wouldn’t wish this pain on my worst ene- Nah I’m just kidding. It’s not that bad.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 11:05   #32
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Yeah it’s an absolutely abhorrent script.
The praise it’s getting and the idiotic title of this thread greatly confuse me.
I love your posts, and agree 100x
Quote:
Just reads as a fan-fic. Which I guess it is.
Hopefully.... What’s so great about the script, I can’t comprehend. Well, I can’t fathom the thread’s name too...
Yup. One of the links in the OP goes to an archived version of trmovie.com, also. It's worth pointing out that even on the archived website, this page is titled "Fan Script_Gary Whitta." There seems to be a suggestion that this was an official script which was declined. But...this was definitely only ever a fan project. It never would have been greenlit or anything. The bit about Core and Eidos having copies - I mean, maybe he sent it in...but I doubt it. Lying on the internet was WAY easier in those early days. I paged through the script a bit...the first page did not encourage me to read at length.
Thank you for sparking a little hope inside me. This can’t be an official script (hopefully)

I wonder if this is the same Gary Whitta?
Quote:
Since its release, Tomb Raider has received worldwide praise from the editorial community, including Game of the Year awards from Game Fan, PS Extreme, and Computer Player. Ultra Game Players gave Tomb Raider its PlayStation Game of the Year and Adventure Game of the Year. PC Gamer awarded Tomb Raider its Action Game of the Year and a Special Achievement in Graphics. Gary Whitta, Editor-in-Chief of PC Gamer, referred to Tomb Raider as "one of the most addictive, original, and atmospheric games the PC has ever seen."
EDIT: NVM, the OP already mention this Whitta...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 11:09   #33
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Some things aren’t meant to be found.
For you ... for me it is the best script of TR that I have read.

Quote:
Yeah it’s an absolutely abhorrent script.
The praise it’s getting and the idiotic title of this thread greatly confuse me.
You are incredibly disrespectful.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 17-01-20 at 11:13.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 11:12   #34
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Best fan script, just correcting... ^.^
Old 17-01-20, 11:14   #35
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Best fan script, just correcting... ^.^
Gary says that Eidos has his script in his possession. I'm not so sure it was a just a fan script ...

Also, be it a real script or just a fanfiction of an influential person ... the script is really true to the old biography and the character of Lara Croft. I wish in 2001 Simon West would have taken this story as a reference and not the garbage he made.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 17-01-20 at 11:25.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 11:40   #36
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post

You are incredibly disrespectful.
Yeah that was probably a bit far.
Sorry.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 16:09   #37
JoelCaesar

I prefer the Scion to a movie where Lara's Dad is a member of the Illuminati. This script is actually very good in my opinion. I'm just sad that it isn't complete.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-20, 16:37   #38
Rai

Just finished. My god that was a bore to read. To be fair, scripts can be deceiving. Perhaps it would have worked better in action. Kinda glad it's just fan fiction/got rejected.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 18:49   #39
Portugalraider

Read it up to Natla's introduction. As of now, this script's only redeemable feature is that it is actually inspired by the games and original bio besides of "rich sexy British adventurer"...

Everything else though, good lord:
  • Unless it is brought up later, the Himalayan part is completely useless and adds nothing to the plot (the script should have started with Egypt)
  • "Hero was bullied during their teens" is not a cliche that fits Lara at all. Even if "nerdy", Lara should be somehow well liked.
  • How in hell is "Lucky Lara" being used as an insult? And are we really supposed to believe those teen girls in an "All-girls" school that is able to organise trips to the Himalayas don't also come from pretty rich families?
  • This whole segment is just an excuse for "Lara has a neat scar in her arm that may or may not be from a Yeti", isn't it?
  • Weeks (Edit: weeds, lol xD ) is way too annoying, even if he seems to be there for like five minutes
  • Using her looks and sex appeal to her advantage is very un-Lara and I hated that part in the squad because of it.
  • Showing that Natla is evil by ordering a "reduced to just a goon" Pierre to kill that Archaeologist is too cliche as well.
  • Also, are we also to believe that Natla prefers to go first for prestigious archaeologists that people absolutely would notice if they were all killed or disappeared after having meetings with her, instead of directly going for hiring illegal treasure hunters that would more easily be "disposed off" if needed?

If the rest of the script is as good as what I read, then even the first Jolie movie makes more sense then it. And sure, it's was probably a first draft, but I don't really see a good movie coming out from this, even after polishing the script.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 19-01-20 at 19:25.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-20, 19:07   #40
Tomb Raidering

^
But but, its the best script some’ve read and we all must like it. If not, well.... we’re a disgrace to the Tomb Raider franchise.....

I agree with all of your points. This uninspired TR1 rip-off script is filled with cliches and unnecessary drama. Even the worst stain that ever happened to the franchise (Jolie’s first movie) is better than this... thing.