www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-07-20, 15:05   #61
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protar View Post
I mean the point is that many of the artifacts that have found their way into western museums are ill-gotten and the result of british colonialism. If Lara were a PoC you could still argue that raiding tombs is morally dubious but it doesn't carry the same colonial weight.
Well Lara didn't colonise anyone so there should be no extra weight on her, unless you think people should take upon the baggage of bad things other people did if they happen to have the same skin pigmentation? What warped, racist logic is that?
Old 21-07-20, 15:31   #62
Protar
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Well Lara didn't colonise anyone so there should be no extra weight on her, unless you think people should take upon the baggage of bad things other people did if they happen to have the same skin pigmentation? What warped, racist logic is that?
Of course people don't have to take up the weight of the bad things their ancestors did - unless of course they're doing the same thing that their ancestors where doing. Lara isn't colonising anyone but she does plunder artifacts from other cultures as colonial figures once did. I'm sure that none of that was even thought of when Lara Croft was first made and I'm not saying toss away the whole premise. Nothing wrong with a treasure hunting adventure. But the conversation on race has progressed a lot in the last few years and I don't think there's anything wrong with questioning some of our older IPs and modernising them. Whether that be a larger focus on characters from the nations Lara visits, or a non-white Lara or a Lara who returns ill-gotten artifact to where they belong. Or some mixture of all those things.
Protar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 10:58   #63
NinjaDog
Hobbyist

Bring back Anaya as some DLC for the next reboot. There has been plenty of art theft in the recent years with all the stuff going on in the Middle East. Unfortunately our mainstream media doesn't pay attention to it. Sorry to get all political but it's the truth.
NinjaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 18:29   #64
Shirley_Manson
Professor

Returns artifacts to whom exactly? Or where? Back to the egyptian tombs? Or the museums? To private collections or true owners if she can track them down?
Even if she did do all this, as soon as Interpol or whoever tracked down those artifacts they would be returned back to the evil museums and people who rightfully recived them would be tried as Lara's acopmlices, just damaging them even further.
If she really wanted to make a significant change to the way museums work globally Lara would have to take up a legal career, and that's no fun, believe me.
Old 23-07-20, 19:35   #65
tomblover
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I'd rather an original poc archeologist character be in the limelight because they are an awesome character not because they are "black Lara Croft" or "Asian Lara Croft."
To be fair, with the way these things work - any female POC archaeologist would be referred to as the "black/asian/whatever Lara Croft," regardless of whether or not the character in question actually was Lara.

That's the way it goes when the blueprint already exists.