www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 23-07-20, 13:50   #41
jackoimina
Explorer

Hmm I see the idea of the manor as a base has gone off the rails a little bit. Ofc that going back to the mansion between every single location would be unrealistic and a little ridiculous even with all the money LC has..

But during the story playthrough there could be for example 3 times in a story of 20 hours where LC is back home and those parts should always be playable whrere you can do whatever in the house. And at these times you can see changes around the house that reflect the story.

First time we can be in CM during the day, at the end of level we see Lara leaving.

Second time, after 4-5 hours of gameplay on other locations we are back at the manor and this time it could be raining, it's dark outside, there is some narrative purpose like Lara gets a visit from someone or an attack like in the first movie (imagine in Rise instead of a useless cutscene if we got to play like Lara in that dark office going through richards files, exploring a bit (maybe even see her arrive at the abandoned manor, entering for the first time and seeing it in that condition, that would've been an emotional moment for the player too seeing the house for the first time in the reboot and it looks abandoded and sad) than someone being at the door, we go open it and see Jonah, she welcomes him in idk.. later you play through that robbery of the book chasing the thief or smth, anything instead of a lazy 3min cutscene).

Third time in the story we could be in CM again before the final act or smth, or in the narrative some time could have passed like a month or a year.. or we could start at the CM but this time we get to leave it and drive all the way to some house/college/wherever visiting someone for information etc to show a bit of that side too, Lara having connections and influences and learning things in between big tombs and puzzles and action and travelling around. It would also expand the world of the reboot a little bit.

After the story is done, CM stays fully playable and explorable.

All new DLC can start there too, smaller adventures and explorations she decides to take on or smth along those lines.

In that manner CM could be integrated more meaningfully into the franchise and BE a part of the game and part of Lara as a character without having to go through family drama in order to keep the whole croft background and legacy in the game. The manor is enough - if done right.
Old 23-07-20, 14:00   #42
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoimina View Post
Hmm I see the idea of the manor as a base has gone off the rails a little bit. Ofc that going back to the mansion between every single location would be unrealistic and a little ridiculous even with all the money LC has..

But during the story playthrough there could be for example 3 times in a story of 20 hours where LC is back home and those parts should always be playable whrere you can do whatever in the house. And at these times you can see changes around the house that reflect the story.

First time we can be in CM during the day, at the end of level we see Lara leaving.

Second time, after 4-5 hours of gameplay on other locations we are back at the manor and this time it could be raining, it's dark outside, there is some narrative purpose like Lara gets a visit from someone or an attack like in the first movie (imagine in Rise instead of a useless cutscene if we got to play like Lara in that dark office going through richards files, exploring a bit (maybe even see her arrive at the abandoned manor, entering for the first time and seeing it in that condition, that would've been an emotional moment for the player too seeing the house for the first time in the reboot and it looks abandoded and sad) than someone being at the door, we go open it and see Jonah, she welcomes him in idk.. later you play through that robbery of the book chasing the thief or smth, anything instead of a lazy 3min cutscene).

Third time in the story we could be in CM again before the final act or smth, or in the narrative some time could have passed like a month or a year.. or we could start at the CM but this time we get to leave it and drive all the way to some house/college/wherever visiting someone for information etc to show a bit of that side too, Lara having connections and influences and learning things in between big tombs and puzzles and action and travelling around. It would also expand the world of the reboot a little bit.

After the story is done, CM stays fully playable and explorable.

All new DLC can start there too, smaller adventures and explorations she decides to take on or smth along those lines.

In that manner CM could be integrated more meaningfully into the franchise and BE a part of the game and part of Lara as a character without having to go through family drama in order to keep the whole croft background and legacy in the game. The manor is enough - if done right.
This is really good imo. Your example with Rise totally sold it! That would have been a lot more interesting than what we got.
Old 23-07-20, 19:08   #43
Evan C.
Tomb Raider

I never though of going back to the manor after every chapter, but only as an optional feature, like the classic ones. I think that's the best thing about it, It wasn't demandatory, but was a traning level and also a history background on Lara Croft. Since games already have incorporated tutorials on the beggining and we already know about Lara Croft, so it would be nice to be able to expand a personal favourite feature. And if you don't feel about it, just don't touch it.
However, I do believe it's far more interesring to get to know Lara Croft for who she was (a lot of people don't really know her the way we did, aside from the surface), and Manor is undoubtfully a big part of her, otherwise the Rise and Shadow levels wouldn't make any sense. Croft Manor was actually so important, that she neglecting her residence there was a way not to accept her past. So, embraced and solved, manor should be an expasion of her mind/personality, and that's why I think it would be a nice feature.
Old 23-07-20, 20:38   #44
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

I wouldn't mind having the manor as a base, if the one game was an isolated huge one, where Lara would travel to multiple locations. Maybe like a reimagination of TR3 or something
Old 24-07-20, 12:32   #45
jackoimina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. View Post
I never though of going back to the manor after every chapter, but only as an optional feature, like the classic ones. I think that's the best thing about it, It wasn't demandatory, but was a traning level and also a history background on Lara Croft. Since games already have incorporated tutorials on the beggining and we already know about Lara Croft, so it would be nice to be able to expand a personal favourite feature. And if you don't feel about it, just don't touch it.
However, I do believe it's far more interesring to get to know Lara Croft for who she was (a lot of people don't really know her the way we did, aside from the surface), and Manor is undoubtfully a big part of her, otherwise the Rise and Shadow levels wouldn't make any sense. Croft Manor was actually so important, that she neglecting her residence there was a way not to accept her past. So, embraced and solved, manor should be an expasion of her mind/personality, and that's why I think it would be a nice feature.
Really well said, CM was always huge part of Lara's character in my mind at least haha that's why I couldn't wait to see it in Rise. I ended up dissapointed when literally ALL of it was shoehorned into supershort flashbacks and dreams and that one cutscene with Jonah at the begining
Old 24-07-20, 12:44   #46
Fantasy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
I wouldn't mind having the manor as a base, if the one game was an isolated huge one, where Lara would travel to multiple locations. Maybe like a reimagination of TR3 or something
I like this.

I also liked how Lara would go back to Croft Manor in Legend to regroup and plan her next move. It was a cool little addition.
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 12:45   #47
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
This is exactly how I envisaged it when I commented in the thread earlier. Glad to see someone else is on the same page. I think for a globe trotting adventure it could work well - linking, probably, three big locations.
Old 24-07-20, 14:00   #48
jackraider
Inactive

I like the CoreD and LAU mansion.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote