www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 28-07-20, 17:10   #101
jackraider
Inactive

Dodging in classics doesn’t necessarily work either. For example, TRII , just doing flips doesn’t prevent attacks. You’ve got to midair flip over a goon and get behind him to properly dodge. This was more effective in TR1 and TR3, both which had better A.I. during combat. Same goes for TR4 where enemies could dodge, which made fighting more effective. TRII is so cheap and overrated. It’s just TR1 with slight technical showcases and outdoor environments.

I thought the combat in console version of Legend was a major improvement and the same tactics in classics are present. You’ve got to jump midair over goons the same as before but now there is close-range combos that activates bullet-time effects. It’s much easier and fun to pull off. Combat in Legend is simple and fast as it should be.

Last edited by jackraider; 28-07-20 at 17:14.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-20, 17:27   #102
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
I thought the combat in console version of Legend was a major improvement and the same tactics in classics are present. Youíve got to jump midair over goons the same as before but now there is close-range combos that activates bullet-time effects. Itís much easier and fun to pull off. Combat in Legend is simple and fast as it should be.
I didn't mind the approach to combat in Legend. The devs got pretty creative with where they put the combat encounters. Sometimes you start the level guns-blazing, sometimes there's no combat until the end of the level. It's never really distracting, outside of the motorcycle sequences, and usually adds to the pacing of the game in a good way.
Old 28-07-20, 17:37   #103
jackraider
Inactive

I agree. Overall, I love the back to the basics design approach in Legend. It’s quite linear much like the original, but in a good way in terms of pacing and design. I like playing on the Hard difficulty, which brings more challenge to the boss battles, which in my opinion are the best in the series.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-20, 14:52   #104
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Dodging in classics doesnít necessarily work either. For example, TRII , just doing flips doesnít prevent attacks. Youíve got to midair flip over a goon and get behind him to properly dodge.
That to me seems like a good thing. Of course, if all enemies are like that then it's repetitive, something all three iterations of TR combat suffer from, but the amount of combat of TReboot makes it suffer the most from it.
Quote:
I thought the combat in console version of Legend was a major improvement and the same tactics in classics are present. Youíve got to jump midair over goons the same as before but now there is close-range combos that activates bullet-time effects.
You made me rethink my opinion (again) and you're right. Shame LAU system also was underused. There should be more pits and traps around combat areas for the player to avoid and the enemies should have had more creative attack patterns. That last one holds true of all three iterations of TR combat.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 29-07-20 at 14:55.
paulojr_mam is online now   Reply With Quote