www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 29-07-20, 17:26   #1
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Cool Critical Role

The tabletop RPG show where a bunch of nerdy-ass voice-actors sit around and play Dungeons & Dragons

First off, an introductory FAQ:

What's Critical Role?
A weekly Dungeons & Dragons show featuring a group of friends that work in the voice-acting industry. They're currently in their second campaign.

What the heck is this "Dungeons & Dragons"?
One of many systems for tabletop roleplaying games (TTRPGs). In short, the players each play out a character, while the Dungeon Master builds a world for them to act within and describe the consequences of their actions.

Why would I want to watch this?
Essentially it boils down to 1) a combination of the group being close friends and really good actors, as well as 2) D&D itself being a very entertaining experience, like a stage show that's being improvised in front of your eyes. It has a perfect blend of fast-paced action, crazy plot twists, and more than a few emotional moments.

How and when do I watch it?
All previous episodes can be found on Youtube and in podcast form at... wherever you find podcasts. If you're new to the show it's generally recommended to start with Campaign 2, as the production value is much better here
If you're caught up, or just want to watch the show live anyway, it airs every Thursday at 7 PM Pacific Time on their Twitch channel.

Goodness gracious, these episodes are 4 hours long!
Yeah, this is long-form storytelling. Many enjoy it while commuting, at work, while cooking, etc. I can promise you, though, that there's a lot of quality entertainment to be had once you've dived in if you get hooked, no episode will feel too long!

Alright, now that that's out of the way - do we have any Critters around here? I've watched since the beginning, the good old Geek & Sundry days. I'm really excited to see where the current story arc is going, both the immediate conflict and what's in store as a larger threat (I'll avoid spoilers unless there's someone to discuss it with).
The only bad thing about this show is that you start hearing these guys and gals everywhere

Anyway, looking forward to seeing if this thread will draw any interest feel free to discuss D&D in general, too - if you've never tried it, I highly recommend it! I started playing because of this show and it's brought a lot of joy, even for a socially awkward being such as myself

Now... Is it Thursday yet?
Old 29-07-20, 22:23   #2
Cochrane
Golden

I tried getting into Critical Role, listened to part of the first episode of the second season, but I just didn't really get into it. Maybe I'll try again some other time.

But if this is to be the general D&D thread as well: I've been playing with a group of friends for a year (or two? Not sure. What is time?) now. It's a lot of fun, though I gotta say that I am not really good at the whole role playing part of it yet.

I recently finished making a custom dice tray for it:

That was a really fun project and I'm very happy with how it turned out.
Old 29-07-20, 22:32   #3
Trenton
Tomb Raider

^nice craftsmanship there Cochrane. I love that you’ve engraved your TRF signature into it.
Old 29-07-20, 23:09   #4
tlr online
Administrator

Thumbs up

The tray looks really authentic and awesome, nice work Cochrane.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-20, 07:08   #5
Cochrane
Golden

Thanks! Honestly, lots of parts there that I could have done better, but I kind of messed up the focus on these pictures so you can't see them.
Old 30-07-20, 11:16   #6
MrBear
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Thanks! Honestly, lots of parts there that I could have done better, but I kind of messed up the focus on these pictures so you can't see them.
Some imperfections here and there just add charm

But I'll repeat what the others said: it looks splendid! I love the corner thingies (that have some kind of name, I'm certain; feel free to educate me if anyone knows it) and I love your dice, too! So pretty *cough* ahem, I... have an unhealthy relationship to dice had I Scrooge McDuck's wealth and housing, I'd end up swimming in them, too.

Anyway, with regards to the show, the format isn't for everyone, and understandably so. But if you get invested in their characters, it's a lot of fun (and sometimes dread) to follow their journey
More importantly, though, is that you've got a game of your own! So glad to hear that the roleplaying aspect is... weird, yes. After 1½ years I still hadn't quite gotten a handle on it myself, either, but as long as you're all having fun, I think it'll just get easier with time.
Our DM put our campaign on hold last year, unfortunately, but I've been talking with a friend about starting up our own game. Only downside is I would have to DM, and I don't know if I can do that... But it's very tempting. I really want to design a bunch of adventures for them and build on what they do and see if I can surprise them, challenge them a little, and perhaps even pull on a heart string at some point. Some day... Some day I'll do this. It'll be terrifying at first, but I'll get used to it, and it'll all be worth it.
Ahem, anyway. So what class do you play? And do you enjoy the combat aspect in general?
Old 30-07-20, 11:49   #7
klona
Golden

I'm currently getting into D&D! Heard about Critical Role but never bothered watching any videos. I'd rather play than watch someone play.

Maybe we could all have a session one day.
Old 30-07-20, 15:04   #8
MrBear
Relic Hunter

You know, it makes a lot more sense to have a thread for this game in general instead of a specific show, so I've made a new one instead; I think some members could be interested in talking about D&D in some capacity, but without knowledge of "Critical Role" they likely wouldn't click this thread to see what it's about.

And klona, I've replied to you there, by the way

In the meantime, I'll hold out hope to find a TRF Critter somewhere down the road