www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 17-07-20, 11:59   #1
KManX89
Historian

Default Games that could work as movies?

I know games-to-movies are virtually never good, but what are some you feel could work if the filmmakers actually tried and/or cared about the material?

Max Payne has already been tried and failed spectacularly in 2008 under Tom Rothman's Fox. It was a boring mess that had very little to do with the games from a hack director, but there's a fan-made short film on YouTube called Max Payne: Retribution that does a much better job capturing the look and feel of the games and actually has some good ideas sprinkled in there. It's a 45 minute short, but you can tell the ingredients for a good Max Payne movie are there from somebody who actually cares about the source material (it gained a lot of buzz on the internet):

I mean, come on, he's basically the Punisher, it can't be THAT hard to do right from someone who actually cares to do it justice, which this guy clearly does. I got a bigger feel of the games from the intro than all 100 minutes of the 2008 movie (it being PG-13 while based on an M-rated game certainly didn't help in that regard).
KManX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-20, 14:35   #2
TombRager
Historian

Death Stranding while using the same mo-cap actors could turn out good.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-20, 07:55   #3
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

The story of the first Fallout game could work well as a fairly long (140-160 minute) movie, but none of the others.
Old 25-07-20, 11:19   #4
Cochrane
Golden

I keep thinking that Bioshock Infinite might be great as a movie or a mini-series. It is heavily story-focused, and the gameplay is half exploring to find more story, and half just combat that is just plain there.

In general, turning video games into movies is difficult. In a video game your default state is that you're either alone exploring, or alone and shooting enemies, or booth; while in a movie, the default state is dialog between different characters. Games that already include a permanent side-kick who is important to the story make a lot of this much easier. Bioshock Infinite is my go-to example, but there's also the Last of Us (which is getting turned into a TV series by the writer of Chernobyl and the Hangover sequels), or the Half-Life 2 Episodes, which could be a mini-series where the final episode just never, ever comes out.

Adventure games would also be an obvious choice, but I think most of them are too long with too much story for one movie. You can't really turn e.g. Dreamfall into a single movie without cutting way, way too much. Even two movies is pushing it.

Finally, on a completely different note: Mirror's Edge. You'd have to invent a completely new story and a lot of new characters, but considering how EA keeps trying and half-failing with that franchise every ten years, you'd definitely have the freedom to do so.
Old 25-07-20, 11:25   #5
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRager View Post
Death Stranding while using the same mo-cap actors could turn out good.
Yeah, I think DS with a bit more tightening up of the story, the sci fi aspects in particular, could make a great film.

I also think Detroit Human could make a good film if filled out a bit more. It's a simple AI uprising tale, but the characters are done well and the 3 interconnecting plots would make a good film or mini-series.
Old 25-07-20, 11:36   #6
klona
Golden

I feel like AOD should've been a movie.
Old 25-07-20, 15:22   #7
TombRager
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Yeah, I think DS with a bit more tightening up of the story, the sci fi aspects in particular, could make a great film.

I also think Detroit Human could make a good film if filled out a bit more. It's a simple AI uprising tale, but the characters are done well and the 3 interconnecting plots would make a good film or mini-series.
Or maybe even into a TV show, since the game itself is pretty long. They would have to cut down a lot of stuff in the movie.

Last edited by TombRager; 25-07-20 at 15:23.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-20, 20:34   #8
puristic jink
Student

Spyro the dragon has a kind of movie esque feel to the cutscenes.
Old 26-07-20, 18:44   #9
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
but there's also the Last of Us (which is getting turned into a TV series by the writer of Chernobyl and the Hangover sequels)
There was already a The Last Of Us movie only it wasn't called The Last Of Us it was called Logan.

There is another movie that's like The Last Of Us called Maggie starring Abigail Breslin and Arnold Schwarzenegger, it's the directorial debut of a guy called Henry Hobson whose previous works were designing the title cards for the Sherlock Holmes and Robin Hood movies and the title cards for The Last Of Us.

I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't heard of it, it was originally meant to have its world premiere at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival but Lionsgate bought the American distribution rights and pulled the film out of the festival's roster, it instead premiered at the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival on April 23rd 2015 followed by a limited theatrical release and simultaneous VOD release on May 8th 2015.

You should definitely see it if you haven't already, just don't expect Arnold Schwarzenegger to run around blasting hordes of the undead with lots of weapons while saying multiple one-liners one after another, he doesn't do any of that in Maggie.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:46   #10
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

[EDIT: deleted redundant post]