Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 07-08-20, 19:46   #1
Costel

Default My 2 crazy ideas for next game.

So I was thinking that the next Tomb Raider game needs to have globe-trotting and be a countinous shot like God of War. No more loading screens.
But how do you get from location to other location? you ask.
Simple. By using transportation. You ride a train or a plain or a ship. And to make it more interesting you dont just stand there watching a cutscene. You can explore the plain, fight some bad guys, solve some puzzle while you are taken to the next destination. Talking about big plane here not like the one that crashed in Peruvian jungle. You can do same thing with the ship and train.
Or you can drive a vehicle and even stop on the road to do stuff.
This way you can have a globe-trotting and countinous shot.

The next think would be to explore a castle or cathedral but proper exploration. Going from room to room, solving puzzles, fighting enemies, finding keys for locked doors, pulling levers for secret passages. Similar to Cathedral of the deep and Grand Archives in Dark Souls 3.

Now patiently waiting to be shut down.

Last edited by Costel; 07-08-20 at 19:48.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 19:53   #2
klona
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
So I was thinking that the next Tomb Raider game needs to have globe-trotting and be a countinous shot like God of War. No more loading screens.
I was hoping they would back off from the cinematic approach.
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 20:03   #3
Rai

Hmm, I'm unsure how I feel about the transport idea. Of curse there was the train in TR4, and I'm not against something like it again as a one off level idea, but I'm unsure about having it throughout the game between each new location. I'm all for globetrotting again though. I don't mind loading screens between locations.

I am totally for the idea of a completely explorable cathedral/palace/temple etc, complete with puzzles. These have been sorely absent from the origin trilogy. The actual buildings have been there, but with very little to do and with a couple of missed opportunities, such as the palace in TR'13 or the final building in Rise. I'm not overly keen on key fetching, but I don't mind levers/cranking devices. but, sure, give us a puzzle that requires some exploration that makes use of the entire space, which is not just one or two rooms.

Last edited by Rai; 07-08-20 at 20:05.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 20:04   #4
Zebra

Eh, I think the continuous shot thing is a bit of a useless gimmick. I don't think it adds much to the experience. If your goal is to have a continuous gameplay experience or minimise cutscenes, etc. yeah, I'm all for that. But I don't think that having a continuous shot is necessary for that. It's okay to have cuts here and there. It's okay to jump in time or location. If you employ this continuous shot idea, it should be in service of some greater design goal. It shouldn't be done just for the sake of it.

That being said, I'm all in favour of showing Lara travel and making the travel itself part of the adventure (maybe not every single journey between locations, like Rai said, but the basic idea sounds cool).

And I think a medieval European location like a castle or a cathedral could be really fun and interesting. I guess we had a little bit of that in Shadow with some of the conquistador architecture but that wasn't really what you're describing here.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 20:37   #5
Yeauxleaux

I'm not keen on the idea of live globetrotting across a miniature Earth. I think that would either make the game's map stupidly and pointlessly big, or else it would make the Earth so shrunken down that driving from China to France in 10 minutes would be immersion breaking as hell. Open world in general doesn't interest me for Tomb Raider. I do want more free exploration and less linearity, but I'd prefer it in the form of self-contained levels comprised of a series of small interconnected hubs and branching paths.

I do like the idea of exploring a large European castle though. I don't think every location Lara visits has to be a literal tomb, she's an "archaeologist" (read:treasure hunter) any kind of historical heritage-y sort of site is cool.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 07-08-20 at 20:42.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 21:30   #6
Jamise_Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post

The next think would be to explore a castle or cathedral but proper exploration. Going from room to room, solving puzzles, fighting enemies, finding keys for locked doors, pulling levers for secret passages. Similar to Cathedral of the deep and Grand Archives in Dark Souls 3.

Now patiently waiting to be shut down.
Wait I love this, I really want to explore a full castle tbh
Jamise_Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 21:42   #7
Cal20608

I’d like to see an open world done in TR but, I wouldn’t mind levels if they are like TLOU2 or Lost legacy where the world/game is somewhat linear but it feels like you are in a free space where there are many possibilities to get from A to B while at time the reboot feels like a series of round abouts when they all just circle around to point A.
For the planes, trains...ext. I like the idea but maybe as a level of its own not just a way to counteract a loading screen/cutscene, which most will probably will be a thing of the past since the tech has improved.
The continuous shot does seem interesting too I’d have to see it in action for tr first though
Cal20608 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 21:50   #8
Portugalraider

Personally, before going back to globetrotting, I would like CD/EM to do a single location once again, but going much deeper into the 3D Metroidvania vibe they had with TR2013 that was sort of abandoned in its sequels. I still think that formula would fit perfectly with Tomb Raider. And then take expand that formula to a Globetrotting adventure, by taking a cue to Quackshot, which was already sort of a Globetrotting Metroidvania.

As for a single shot game, I personally wouldn't tackle it for now. Those sort of techniques are really only good for very character-driven plots, and after the origin trilogy I think it is a bit time to focus less on Lara's personal growth and more on the adventure itself. Let them explore through cutscenes not just Lara's perspective, but also from other characters, especially the villains. It is something that for me helped understanding both Ana and Konstantin in RotTR better than I understood Mathias and Amaru. In TR2013 and SotTR, we only see the villains in contexts where Lara is also present, and it limited their perspectives too much. Which was a shame especially for Amaru, as he is actually quite an interesting character. As trope-ish as Konstantin and Ana are, the scenes where we saw them outside of Lara's perspective really helped in fleshing them out and make them feel like actual people, at least for me.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 11:08   #9
GeorgiaAnneUK

The transportation idea reminds me of Star Wars: The Last Jedi; I never actually even noticed the lack of loading screens in that game up until I was around halfway through though, so I don't know if loading screens are *actually* that inconvenient
GeorgiaAnneUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 16:35   #10
MuruCoder

No objection to globe-trotting and the castle idea but continuous shot seems unnecessary.

First of all showing an actual trip of several hours around the globe wouldn't be feasible gameplay wise so the trip would have to be cut shorter in game time. I guess if you really need it to look continuous I can live with a 1 hour flight in real life taking a 5 minute continuous scene or mini puzzle in the game but if we are already cutting down the travel time why bother making it look continuous
MuruCoder is offline   Reply With Quote