Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 02-08-20, 20:22   #6541
Zebra

Hm, there's definitely something off about these screenshots. If you look at some of the in-game the screenshots we have of the Cistern, it's clear that this version isn't as far along. Look at this:

And compare it to this:

https://i.imgur.com/J6PcjaM.jpg

The in-game screenshots has round columns beneath the walkways where the Maya screenshots still have blocky TR1 geometry. The in-game screenshots have fully three-dimensional pillars along the walls on the lowest level where the Maya screenshots have the flat TR1 wall. The lowest level is also clearly fully retextured in the in-game screenhot but not in the Maya screenshot.

I really think that these are out-of-date files. Either that or the TR1 geometry is overlaying the new geometry and whoever took the screenshots forgot to disable the TR1 geometry first.

Last edited by Zebra; 02-08-20 at 20:27.
Zebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-20, 12:23   #6542
Boobandie

I think you're right about the layering. You can see one of the round columns poking through the TR1 geometry in one of the other shots of the room.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 01:09   #6543
Zebra

Tomb of Tihocan screenshots are online:
https://www.tomb-of-ash.com/tomb-of-...rsary-edition/

Looks amazing !

Again, though, there are some differences between these screens and some of the in-game screens we've got:

In the Maya screenshot, you can clearly see that all the upper floors carrying the columns are perfectly straight and all the columns are intact. In the in-game screenshot, they floors are wonky and some of the pillars are slanted or broken. There are also piles of gold coins on the floor in the in-game screenshot that are missing from the Maya screenshot and the dais in the middle of the room is clearly very different. In the Maya screenshot it's cross-shaped and surrounded by four obelisks, whereas it's rectangular in the in-game screenshot and there are no obelisks surrounding it (but there is now a small obelisk floating above it, presumably containing Tihocan's piece of the Scion). Some bits of the environment like Medusa's belt also aren't textured in the Maya screenshot.

And here you can see that the texture surrounding the rim of the paved area is different (nicer) in the in-game screenshot, where it's just a continuation of the normal pavement texture in the Maya screenshot.

So again, it's pretty clear that these aren't the most up-to-date versions of the levels that existed. (It's still incredible that we have these, of course, but they should not be used as an indicator of how far along the levels were at the time of cancellation.)

EDIT: I also just realised just HOW different the Ash version of Palace Midas is from some of the other screenshots we have. Compare the level layout here:

https://i.imgur.com/DhBIpOl.png

In the lower screenshot, the aqueduct has been moved way over into the spot the swimming pool previously occupied. The pool and the staircase leading to the switch puzzle room have been moved back way further. Then there's the spiral staircase which has been moved to the side of the temple (it's lit very darkly, though, so all you can really see is a dark pipe shape ). It's also clear that this version of the level was much, much further along than the one in Ash's screenshots as the level geometry is way more detailed and polished. It shows just how much further along the levels must've been than what we're seeing in these new screenshots.

Last edited by Zebra; 04-08-20 at 01:29.
Old 04-08-20, 11:48   #6544
ATombRaiderFan

The design of Tihocan's burial place is an interersting departure from the first game. I wonder if the puzzle involves getting the statue to shoot an arrow at the floating obelisk.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 12:11   #6545
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATombRaiderFan View Post
The design of Tihocan's burial place is an interersting departure from the first game. I wonder if the puzzle involves getting the statue to shoot an arrow at the floating obelisk.
I was wondering the same
Then after the release the statue is alive and we have to fight her.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 12:11   #6546
Zebra

I wonder if that's where Crystal got the idea for the Croft Manor garden puzzle from.
Old 04-08-20, 13:01   #6547
larafan25

yeah they still have lots of the original geometry it seems. Gorgeous though, and impressive to see how much the lighting/ shading transforms simple models into such a vibrant and densely atmospheric world. <3 <3 <3
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 14:19   #6548
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
yeah they still have lots of the original geometry it seems. Gorgeous though, and impressive to see how much the lighting/ shading transforms simple models into such a vibrant and densely atmospheric world. <3 <3 <3
Again, though, it looks like the game was much further along when it was cancelled than what we see in these new screenshots.
Old 04-08-20, 14:31   #6549
ashka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Again, though, it looks like the game was much further along when it was cancelled than what we see in these new screenshots.
My theory (and this is just a speculation 100%) that the recent screenshots of levels we posted were from the build they made for testing (Maya screenshots of the ingame build's geometry if you get what i mean) and other stuff (that looks more finished) is pre-rendered in Maya for screenshots/trailers to present to Eidos or send out for press. Alas we dont know
ashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 14:37   #6550
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashka View Post
My theory (and this is just a speculation 100%) that the recent screenshots of levels we posted were from the build they made for testing (Maya screenshots of the ingame build's geometry if you get what i mean) and other stuff (that looks more finished) is pre-rendered in Maya for screenshots/trailers to present to Eidos or send out for press. Alas we dont know
Yeah, I think that would make sense. Maybe they had finished modelling most of the levels but they hadn't yet made all of those finished levels playable.