Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-09-16, 17:14   #731
LateRaider
Inactive

Hi Gidierre, I know to streamline the installation process you disallowed people from letting them choose their own installation path. The trouble I'm having is that a friend of mine would like to play Tomb Raider I and Unfinished Business, but he's uncomfortable with installing directly to C:\ and would like instead to install elsewhere. Is there a method available to change the installation path? I tried to cut and paste my own Tomb Raider I and Unfinished Business installation on my computer elsewhere but it seems like it will only work in C:\tombraider. Thank you for your time, have a nice day.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 18:58   #732
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
...would like instead to install elsewhere. Is there a method available to change the installation path? I tried to cut and paste my own Tomb Raider I and Unfinished Business installation on my computer elsewhere but it seems like it will only work in C:\tombraider
hi
yes it does, only there obviously because of the way the script was concocted by yours truly
likewise it can all be modified of course

far from ideal, a simple (?) workaround might be
let's assume you're dying to install to a d:\whatchamacallit folder right?
now you supposedly and wisely already installed to default \tombraider [yeah yeah I got it, really, no good but let me explain]
now you'll copy or move all \tombraider\*.* stuff to that whatchamacallit folder of yours you also created in advance
the setup ought to be still standing after the ordeal, except.. fancy that shortcuts are busted but those could be easily made to link to the new path, point is especially some more under the hood cascading routines are broken too now

that workaround? you name the custom folder you chose, I rewrite for you those snippets, no big deal and hopefully it's going to do
it's sort of a cinch so feel free to ask if you want, I'll be glad to comply

if you're going for a free choice of the destination folder instead, that gets more tricky as I didn't script it to ask/accept many choices/options by users
so it's not unfeasible at all, using Inno Setup rich capabilities
but surely a somehow major refurbishment would be required.

Last edited by gidierre; 29-09-16 at 19:21.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-16, 19:28   #733
LateRaider
Inactive

OK, if I'm reading you right, you'd be willing to write something to update the registry of his Tomb Raider I + Unfinished Business installation? I would be very grateful. I'll explain it to him when we next meet, which should be next week, and I'll figure out where he wants it installed. Thank you.
Old 02-10-16, 21:39   #734
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
you'd be willing to write something to update the registry of his Tomb Raider I + Unfinished Business installation? .... I'll figure out where he wants it installed
I was thinking about more general an option to introduce here while I'm at it as opposed to an ad personam workaround where you tell me I'd like to pick e:\my custom folder and I'd be needing to reshape a handful of files... scarcely useful to anyone who cares for an f:\my favorite destination instead

so if you're interested somehow I can send you a tiny 400KB setup which (yes, that's after the installer is done coming through its default way) lets you choose a different location, juggles stuff all around trying hard not to break up the whole gadgetry then updates shortcuts and things and finally sets you up and running from there, obviously asking only for the new path and taking care of the details

if you want in practice you'd have to test it for me, although I expect it to be robust enough, but you never know
what about that?

And of course if someone else feels like trying it, just let me know and I'll give you this setup.

Last edited by gidierre; 02-10-16 at 21:49.
Old 03-10-16, 20:28   #735
LateRaider
Inactive

I would absolutely be interested in this. Thank you so much, I very much appreciate this.
Old 03-10-16, 21:10   #736
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
I would absolutely be interested
good so this is the link

EDIT
version 1.2

http://www.filedropper.com/tombraide...urownfolderv12

the small app---well let me just quote the microinfo I put into it though it's all pretty straightforward
Quote:
This application personalizes your Tomb Raider setup insofar as it lets you pick a custom drive and/or folder to install Tomb Raider 1 and Unfinished Business to instead of the C:\tombraider path the installer creates by default.
It requires a working installation of gidierre’s Tomb Raider Installer v1.7.5 to work.
On top of that, you run this setup and when prompted, choose your favorite drive and folder as destination for the game files.
The drive, real or virtual, must already exist, while as regards the folder you’re free to create your own wherever you see fit.
All needed adjustments will be taken care of with no special extra hassle for you and then you’re ready to play.
Once you’re fine with the new drive/folder arrangement, you can erase all files left in C:\tombraider.
I tested myself of course with both TR1 and UB, and it seems to be ok

so you're welcome to pick any existing drive and/or folder, or for the folder make up your own, name it what you like and it should be fine, yes desktop shortcuts refreshing included (I knew someone would get me there )

well you try it and let me know.

Last edited by gidierre; 04-10-16 at 00:31. Reason: Version update
Old 03-10-16, 21:39   #737
LateRaider
Inactive

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to convince him to put it at H:/tombraider. I should try it out on my computer before I go over to his house next though. Thanks again so much! You're very passionate about getting this game and its expansion to work properly and I admire that a lot. Thank you, Gidierre.
Old 03-10-16, 23:36   #738
fallenangle

That ^^ is good new because I've just been trying to use this this installer and being able to put the "tombraider" folder in Core Design along with all the other old TRs I have installed successfully this week on my new-ish Win7 Pro 64bit PC would certainly be helpful.

However I've had some odd problems with this installer I'd like some help with.

First time I've used it as before with TR1 on my old Win XP laptop (6 years ago) I think I was using dgVoodoo. With both TR1 and UB I had a sound issue where the sound went crackly but only when underwater but I could live with that.

However with this v1.7.5 TR1/UB installer all the audio is crackly in-game, FMV and even when navigating the menus.

But the main problem I've had is with mapping the controller using Joy2Key.

I'm not using the included Joy2Key as I have Joy2Key already (in fact several versions) and use it with a dozen other games including TR1/UB on the XP laptop. I have the Joy2Key TR/UB profile which worked perfectly with that using the genuine Dualshock 1 (digital mode) I'm also using now. It works perfectly with TR2 -5.

Here's the problem: after apparently successfully installing everything using v1.7.5 when I booted TR1 I found that Joy2Key profile didn't work fully. Only the directional controls functioned.

I checked the TR1 menu Controls > Default and User Keys and remembered that I had problems with the mapping originally. What I did then was remap the User Keys eg. W, A, S, D for movement instead of directional buttons and because Joy2Key didn't like PAD0. (Roll) (it sees it as Insert) I tried to reassign that too. That's where the problems started.

For some reason even though there is supposed to be no native joypad support with TR1 I was getting Joy6 appearing when I tried to change the assigned key and all sorts of other similar things even though I was only using the PC keyboard.

I tried changing it back and the navigation of the User Keys menu got very laggy and eventually refused to do anything, including Esc. Then it suddenly went mental with the highlighter 'box' jumping all over the place. I gave up and exited back to the desktop via the Windows key.

I repeated this several times all with the same sort of result.

Never had any problem like this before with TR1/UB or with Joy2Key.

Here's the real weirdness. I decided to try UB instead using EXACTLY the same Joy2Key profile. It worked perfectly first time no need to reassign any of the keys again. In other words the same Joy2Key profile that works with UB doesn't work with TR1.

I even went straight back from UB, left Joy2Key running, rebooted TR1, went into the game and most of the controller buttons still weren't functioning. Under User Keys I tried to reassign everything to how it was in UB and quickly ran into the same lag and other issues preventing me for re-setting anything. In the end I used the restore point I'd put in and manually cleaned out everything TR1/UB left behind, including the registry.

I'm not keen to go through all this again so I'd appreciate some advice about how to proceed in getting TR1/UB installed on this PC, preferably without the crackly sound and, of course, a fully functional controller set up.

Is there some specific known problem with TR1 as regards controller mapping?
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-16, 01:28   #739
LateRaider
Inactive

I'm trying to install Pick Your Own Folder and Microsoft Security Essentials won't let me. Is there some kind of bug in the program still? Or should I just shut off Security Essentials during the installation process?

Edit 1 - OK, so I shut off Microsoft Security Essentials during the process and turned it back on and it tried to delete my Tomb Raider I + UB 1.7.5 installation. I don't know what to do. Is there any way to make this not happen? I'd rather not change my antivirus and antispyware program just for one video game.

Edit 2 - I switched to Avast and everything was fine. For the first few times I loaded TRI, Avast tried to scan it. Everything seems to be fine now. However, after installing, FMVs are waaaay too small. I don't know what the issue is.

How the Core Design logo FMV looks after the patch: http://i.imgur.com/iKSAV91.png

How the Core Design logo FMV looked before the patch: http://i.imgur.com/tdybm5y.png

Interestingly, when I screenshotted the "after FMV," it pasted into Paint up as a full 1024x768 image with the blackness all around it, but when I screenshotted "before FMV", it pasted as a 640x480 image.

All FMVs are like this, and I tried installing the separate FMV patch and it didn't fix it. The problem may lie in a DOSBOX configuration setting, since the main DOSBOX startup page where it says "HAVE FUN!" is also as small as the FMVs.

Edit 3 - I've since tried changing the resolution in all the CONF files I could think of, tried messing about with nGlide installation instructions, tried entering and exiting fullscreen... nothing seems to work. So this is the fault of the installer.

Last edited by LateRaider; 04-10-16 at 03:19.
Old 04-10-16, 09:04   #740
gidierre
Grease Monkey

@fallenangle
I'm refurbishing the customize folder thing atm so you'd better wait for a stable release (I hope) coming soon before you try it
for the other issues, pray bear with me I'll try to help (IF I can) asap

@LateRaider
time for v1.3? versions tend to mushroom like mad, but it's soo predictable
afaict and thx for your feedback btw, the half full glass I can see is the folder shuffling paranormal activities seem to be working don't they

the crying wolf/virus act by MS Security but by Norton too iirc is just nothing, believe me
when a .bat gets converted to .exe they often don't like it, I know, I repeatedly created exceptions myself, who made the file and know what I did (maybe ) and am not much into self-inflicting malware
exceptions for the particular file or temporarily disabling

now the fmv mess, yes you're right, yet this should be the simplest fix of all, I already think I know what's gone wrong and how to restore fullscreen and all
I think I'm gonna have a minute tonight to workaround it and there, I'll be comimg up with (how did you guess?)... v1.3!