Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 07-06-19, 02:46   #1
yeti

Red face how to play custom tomb raider levels

i fully realize this is a total n00b question, but i don't know what i need to do in order to play custom TR levels. Levels such as Himalayan Mysteries, etc...

Running Windows 10 and plan to use a PS2 controller via usb adapter. beyond that, I do not know where to download what i need in order to play these levels. i don't plan to create any levels--at least to begin with.

any help would be great. i know tombraiderchronicles.com and trle.net exist.

however, i don't know what to install, etc... in order to play. trle.net seems to be down currently btw.

anyway, any help is greatly appreciated and an advance thank you to anyone who can help a total noob.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 08:52   #2
TheLostSecret

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
i fully realize this is a total n00b question, but i don't know what i need to do in order to play custom TR levels. Levels such as Himalayan Mysteries, etc...

Running Windows 10 and plan to use a PS2 controller via usb adapter. beyond that, I do not know where to download what i need in order to play these levels. i don't plan to create any levels--at least to begin with.

any help would be great. i know tombraiderchronicles.com and trle.net exist.

however, i don't know what to install, etc... in order to play. trle.net seems to be down currently btw.

anyway, any help is greatly appreciated and an advance thank you to anyone who can help a total noob.
Hi!

First of all, we are all here to answer each other's questions, not calling each others as noobs!

Secondly, here are a few things which might help:

TRLE.NET is the greatest host for TRLE levels. You just have to go to trle.net and from the left side panel, choose "Level listing - search". From there, you can have access to the whole database of levels, from the year 1999 up to now! Just click on a heading and you can sort the levels individually, based on what you desire, such as Date, Size, etc.

The levels provided are generally in .ZIP format, which you can even open it with Windows Explorer. Although, Windows 10 or your Antivirus program might detect TOMB4 Engine executables as harmful, you either have to disable your antivirus temporarily or you have to exclude TOMB4.Exe application from being detected as harmful by either your OS or antivirus program.

After unzipping everything, you can execute TOMB4.EXE and play. Anyways, if you intend to use a Joystick device, then inside the game, you have to go to: Options -> Control Configuration and set Control Method to Joystick. Now you have to remap the keys starting from the top to the bottom ( Direction keys do not require to be set, as they already work with your left analog stick. )

If you needed further assistance, you are free to let me know!
Have fun!
Mehrbod.

Last edited by TheLostSecret; 07-06-19 at 09:22.
TheLostSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 09:05   #3
klona
Golden

When trle.net is up again, all you need to do is click on "level listing/search" on the left pane. It's just under the featured level image. After that you can just browse and click on the level you like to download.

I recommend playing the games on keyboard. These games aren't really meant to be played using analog sticks. You'll really suffer trying to control Lara. If you still wanna use a controller, use the d-pad.

TheLostSecret also mentioned about antiviruses falsely flagging the exe as a virus. What I do to solve this problem is put the entire TRLE folder with all custom levels under the exclusion list. That way whenever you download anything TRLE related and put it in that folder, your antivirus will never interfere.
klona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 12:37   #4
disapearing-boy

Others have already given more information but I'll just clarify - you don't need to install anything to play TRLE games nowadays. Just download the levels, unzip and play. If that doesn't work, try running in compatibility mode with an older Windows version.

You don't need the actual level editor itself to play the levels anymore.

I also used a ps2 controller to play, the analogue stick works much better with the PC version rather than it does with the psone versions of the TR games.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote