www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-08-16, 12:39   #111
djdust
Hobbyist

<ignore>

Last edited by djdust; 29-08-16 at 17:11.
djdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 13:22   #112
SLAYER
Archaeologist

Yes you need both.
Old 29-08-16, 17:12   #113
djdust
Hobbyist

Ok, got the game working in Widescreen and it looks amazing...

Can anyone clarify, what do the Perspective and Bilinear settings in "Detail" do? I've tried it with them On and Off and can't tell any difference...
djdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 21:30   #114
kacpy
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdust View Post
Can anyone clarify, what do the Perspective and Bilinear settings in "Detail" do? I've tried it with them On and Off and can't tell any difference...
Bilinear is just filtering on textures (basically blur^9000). I honestly don't remember what Perspective does, lol. I always run TR1 with everything off...
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-16, 11:11   #115
msulak
Hobbyist

Perspective : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textur...ve_correctness
Basically, each pixel is projected into texture coordinate space, which requires formerly expensive division operation. Present day hardware is doing it at no cost, so it can ignore the option.
The other option (perspective correction off) is linear interpolation of texture coordinates row of pixel or even the whole triangle. Exact coordinates are only calculated at beginning and end of the row or at triangle vertices only.

Bilinear filter : if pixel's coordninates in texture space are integer number, they choose the texel (texture pixel). Otherwise each coordinate is rounded to nearest integers both smaller and bigger. Screen pixel is filled with weighted average of neigbouring texels. For example if Y coordinate is 2.25 and X coordinate is 5.3, then screen pixel is texture[2][5] * 0.25 * 0.3 + texture[2][6] * 0.25 * 0.7 + texture[3][5] * 0.75 * 0.3 + texture[3][6] * 0.75 * 0.7. Maybe the same formula is used in 2D antialiasing.

Explanation could be more clear with images but this forum is text-only.

Last edited by msulak; 30-08-16 at 11:25.
msulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-16, 16:09   #116
Sardoc
Archaeologist

On a different note. I never had time to get around that, but I do now. I noticed another peculiar music behaviour in TR1 and UB.

If there is more than one action required to trigger music, like use 2 keys to open the door and play music, or pick up 2 medipacks to activate a mutant and play music, some peculiar stuff happens.

After the first action, the background completely stops playing and never resumes. Then after the final action is completed, the triggered music plays properly, but the background doesn't follow. You play in silence until you save and load. All other music triggers work fine, but the background never resumes.

Here is a short video showing this.

As you see, the music trigger plays fine and the background resumes after I pull the lever, because there's only 1 action required. However, it immediately stops playing when I pick up the first medipack and doesn't resume. Then the triggered music plays nicely when I pick up the 2nd one and activate the mutant, but the background doesn't resume again.

Further evidence that Core's music implementation was very incomplete. The DOS version doesn't have this issue.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-16, 17:04   #117
kacpy
Explorer

Hmm.. maybe that's what I was experiencing when I said I didn't know if the audio was looping properly...
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-16, 19:36   #118
barracuda415
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdust View Post
It has been explained above, but here's a short ELI5 summary:
  • Bilinear: Blurs the pixel of textures so they appear less pixelated. Since the textures in TR1 are very low-res, they also appear very blurred when filtered. It's a matter of taste, I personally prefer the filtered version. GLRage actually uses anisotropic filtering internally when this option is enabled, so it'll look a bit better than on original hardware.
  • Perspective: Controls how textures are rendered on perspectively distorted faces. The illustration from Wikipedia from msulak's link explains it pretty well:

(yes, images do actually work here )
    It's a relict from early 3D graphics that made a performance difference back then. The PS1, for example, didn't support it, while most PC graphics cards in the late 90s did, including the ATI Rage. GLRage currently doesn't handle C3D_ERS_TMAP_PERSP_COR, so this option doesn't have any visual impact. Instead, it's always enabled on default. I may implement it in future versions in case you enjoy that PS1 look .
barracuda415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 06:55   #119
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Further evidence that Core's music implementation was very incomplete. The DOS version doesn't have this issue.
Doesn't look like an issue that can be addressed, or does it?
Old 01-09-16, 09:31   #120
Sardoc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
Doesn't look like an issue that can be addressed, or does it?
I certainly hope it can. Looks like a bug to me.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote