www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: What is your overall opinion of Shadow?
I like it. 114 47.50%
I mostly like it. 89 37.08%
I mostly dislike it. 26 10.83%
I dislike it. 11 4.58%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-19, 21:08   #111
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Which version of Shadow are you playing where there are Expedition Cards?

I was talking about "Rise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I will agree that the microtransactions in Rise felt forced, but come the **** on. It's not as if expedition points (or whatever the currency is called) were awarded so scarcely that you needed to purchase more with real-life money to get anywhere meaningful quickly. There was no grind to speak of...

If that was the same to you as what CTR and MK11 are doing now, I really don't know what to say.
You're not seeing the overall point I made. Games like these are using the live service model to slowly ease us into the industry's scheme to turn all games into online rentals that we subscribe and constantly pay into. That's the future of Tomb Raider (as Retrowave said he couldn't see where the series was going) and the moment the series crosses that line, I'll stop giving the industry money for it.
Old 08-08-19, 23:25   #112
killchan
Explorer

SE must feel very unlucky to have such a big brand but not being able to overmonetize it.

and yes: the packs in Rise was SE testing the waters, and Shadow was simply SE stopping giving a **** about TR because ehi there's Marvel's Avengers and GotG
Old 09-08-19, 08:53   #113
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
SE stopping giving a **** about TR
He said, while ignoring the fact that SE budgeted Shadow equally to the previous two entries

Last edited by Vaskito; 09-08-19 at 08:55.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:02   #114
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
He said, while ignoring the fact that SE budgeted Shadow equally to the previous two entries
except SE THEMSELVES stated in a public, official document, they didn't promote it as they should have.
Old 09-08-19, 10:14   #115
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
except SE THEMSELVES stated in a public, official document, they didn't promote it as they should have.
I think that was more shade directed at EM’s marketing team. Shadow is among the most expensive games ever made (yikes), so I don’t think SE didn’t care.
Old 09-08-19, 10:27   #116
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
They said the game lacked novelty.

35M were budgeted for marketing purposes alone - blame poor marketing on the team who was in charge of it, because they had plenty of money from SE do it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I think that was more shade directed at EM’s marketing team. Shadow is among the most expensive games ever made (yikes), so I don’t think SE didn’t care.
Pretty much. We could argue that they even recently talked about TR in high regards of how imporant of a franchise it is, to keep investing and innovating in it, but he would dismiss it as "PR talking", so there's no winning anyway

Last edited by Vaskito; 09-08-19 at 10:28.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:28   #117
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

It's like those rich parents who keep throwing money at their misbehaving child in hoping to fix them or at least shut them up.
Unless they take away all the bad influences out of their life, money is not going to fix anything.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:41   #118
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

What annoys me in the gaming industry is how the marketing teams always have the upper hand, and mess everything up.

SOTTR suffered badly in being poorly marketed because of the marketing team as well. In oldschool TR also suffered from questionable marketing tactics. It's an endless cycle. Not to mention the disconnect between the Devs and the Marketing team

Activision-Blizzard is in a digusting state because of the marketing teams basically having a saying on how stuff goes.
I remember reading posts and news about this, and the issue regarding the marketing teams, and it gets annoying
Old 09-08-19, 13:57   #119
jhons0529
Explorer

I'm going to abstain from the poll as an option for me doesn't really exist in that, but I feel as though Shadow is the best of the reboot trilogy without sayings its a game I love or feel is particularly great.
Its definitely a fun play, but it really feels like its missing so many opportunities.

I'm fairly neutral about it. I do feel as though it could have done with more development time and perhaps a bit more impact? It doesn't really feel impact in anyway to me.
The scenes with Lara's parents for once were pleasant to me though, for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
What annoys me in the gaming industry is how the marketing teams always have the upper hand, and mess everything up.
I general it seems very common for marketing to go wrong. I really don't how they achieve it.

Last edited by jhons0529; 09-08-19 at 13:58.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 14:08   #120
TR1249
Archaeologist

One of the best in the franchise