www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 23-12-19, 18:44   #81
Kidd Bowyer
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I canít understand. People that accuse the reboot games of being linear praise this game. Thereís a few branching linear corridors (aka like the reboot hubs), and you roam around to find a key and follow the other linear path until you get to the next hub.
I'd argue that the Reboots feel more linear because of many modern game design trappings.
For example, let's take all those "everything is blowing up around you" sequences, like the flood in Shadow. That sequence is very impressive, but whether or not you get an instant Game Over is less about your skill controlling Lara, and more about your ability to pick up on the event designer's cues - there are plenty of ledges/objects/routes that should be feasible, but it's not The Right Solution.

I'd say that's a pretty consistent quality in the Reboot games - Lara's jump arc, her ability to interact with objects, and the basic differentiation of what is and isn't feasible tends to seem very situational.

For someone who grew up on the old school games, being told "This ledge is within Lara's physical capability to grab, but it's not the ledge you're supposed to use, it's just set dressing" can make it seem like the game is taking control away from you.

The original six are definitely linear in terms of paths you can take to complete a level, it's just not quite as obvious, if that makes sense?
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-19, 03:33   #82
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

^

The classics benefited from the grid system that allowed a fixed jump distance. Any edge in these games was grabbable by the player. Unfortunately with modern controls, graphics and mesh systems this could never be replicated again.
Old 07-01-20, 21:34   #83
Samz
Relic Hunter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
^

The classics benefited from the grid system that allowed a fixed jump distance. Any edge in these games was grabbable by the player. Unfortunately with modern controls, graphics and mesh systems this could never be replicated again.
AOD had modern controls (on PS2 anyway) and a non-grid system and it managed to have non-scripted platforming.
Old 30-01-20, 11:40   #84
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
I'd argue that the Reboots feel more linear because of many modern game design trappings.
For example, let's take all those "everything is blowing up around you" sequences, like the flood in Shadow. That sequence is very impressive, but whether or not you get an instant Game Over is less about your skill controlling Lara, and more about your ability to pick up on the event designer's cues - there are plenty of ledges/objects/routes that should be feasible, but it's not The Right Solution. I'd say that's a pretty consistent quality in the Reboot games - Lara's jump arc, her ability to interact with objects, and the basic differentiation of what is and isn't feasible tends to seem very situational. For someone who grew up on the old school games, being told "This ledge is within Lara's physical capability to grab, but it's not the ledge you're supposed to use, it's just set dressing" can make it seem like the game is taking control away from you. The original six are definitely linear in terms of paths you can take to complete a level, it's just not quite as obvious, if that makes sense?
Theyíre definitely linear, and as you said itís not so obvious. But TRII doesnít even try. Itís just linear corridors with hallways in between.
Quote:
^ The classics benefited from the grid system that allowed a fixed jump distance. Any edge in these games was grabbable by the player. Unfortunately with modern controls, graphics and mesh systems this could never be replicated again.
It could be replicated if wanted. They just need to spend some resources on it. But itís not the best thing to do in this day and age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
AOD had modern controls (on PS2 anyway) and a non-grid system and it managed to have non-scripted platforming.
Correct. But the LAU style platforming was way more satisfying imho.
Old 30-01-20, 15:48   #85
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
This was actually one major complaint people had about the game though, because it didn't have the benefit of the grid-system, and add in the fact that Laras jump distance ability would change throughout the game- players were finding it difficult to judge which ledges they could grab, and how far Lara could actually jump.
Old 30-01-20, 16:40   #86
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
This was actually one major complaint people had about the game though, because it didn't have the benefit of the grid-system, and add in the fact that Laras jump distance ability would change throughout the game- players were finding it difficult to judge which ledges they could grab, and how far Lara could actually jump.
Not to mention then that curved jumps like the one in the Louvre Storm Drains were very hard to do first try.
Old 30-01-20, 18:42   #87
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Not to mention then that curved jumps like the one in the Louvre Storm Drains were very hard to do first try.
To be fair, all of the curved jumps are optional.

Though like Tr3 they're definitely intentional this time around.
Old 31-01-20, 14:45   #88
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
That’s one of my biggest gripes with AoD, tbh. The only way to make a proper running jump is to turn away from the ledge, press the roll and forward buttons simultaneously and finally press jump. Not a solution, just a work-around.
Quote:
Where were the curved jumps? I can’t recall any.
Quote:
To be fair, all of the curved jumps are optional.
Though like Tr3 they're definitely intentional this time around.
*PTSD intensifies* Ugh, should I also create a TRIII UNappreciation thread? All those traps and complex level design... >.<

Banana-jumps are ridiculous, tbh. And so are timed things like doors and all.
Old 31-01-20, 14:56   #89
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
*PTSD intensifies* Ugh, should I also create a TRIII UNappreciation thread? All those traps and complex level design... >.<

It's something I would add to the TRIII appreciation thread to be honest. But I'm a sucker for TRIII anyway and I can't hide it

I also love timed doors and things like that, it really makes you alert to make the right moves at the right time.

Speaking of AOD I'd say the improving strength and jump length was a nice touch. Getting to certain points but unable to go any further because you're still in need of an upgrade was one of the cooler things in the game.
Had you looking for possible interactions with the environment in order to get the required upgrade.

Last edited by Maverin; 31-01-20 at 14:58.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-20, 19:28   #90
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Thatís one of my biggest gripes with AoD, tbh. The only way to make a proper running jump is to turn away from the ledge, press the roll and forward buttons simultaneously and finally press jump. Not a solution, just a work-around.

Where were the curved jumps? I canít recall any.

I can just hold fowards for a bit, Lara I think actually needs a little less of a run up for AOD.

Yeah Banana-Jumps are silly, AOD at least only has a few optional ones for shortcuts.