www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 04-12-19, 20:01   #21
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I took a look at an article on AoD right now and, in my opinion, the only decision that could have saved this game is if Chronicles didn't exist. Because when the veterans working on Chronicles merged with AoD's team, they had to "cut 90 percent" of the game. Maybe if the team was whole from the beginning, nothing would have to be cut. I believe that decision assured the game couldn't possibly be very good. And I believe nothing else Eidos did could make up for their terrible decision and save the game.
I don't think the game would have 4 full locations even if if did not face any development troubles.

If it did not face any problems then the game would get release in 2001-2002 which I don't think even then they would have enough time to add Germany and Turkey to game.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 20:05   #22
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Chronicles for sure killed this game. What I don't understand is why did they put their more experienced members for Chronicles? I'm pretty sure they could have put their B team on Chronicles and their long time veterans on AOD. They probably would have forsaw the fact that the PS2 wouldn't be as capable as a PC and would have scaled the project back way before anything was actually developed.
I remember seeing somewhere that none of the non experienced guys at Core was interested in working on Chronicles which is why experienced members were forced to work on it themselves.
Old 04-12-19, 20:25   #23
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
I don't think the game would have 4 full locations even if if did not face any development troubles.

If it did not face any problems then the game would get release in 2001-2002 which I don't think even then they would have enough time to add Germany and Turkey to game.
I believe it would. They wouldn't have lost one year of development. And it might have been delayed even without facing development troubles. Just two locations would always be too few.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 04-12-19 at 20:27.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 20:48   #24
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
I remember seeing somewhere that none of the non experienced guys at Core was interested in working on Chronicles which is why experienced members were forced to work on it themselves.
I remember seeing that the the PS1 games fetched some pretty high royalties so I could imagine they felt more entitled to them than new workers
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-19, 13:57   #25
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I believe it would. They wouldn't have lost one year of development. And it might have been delayed even without facing development troubles. Just two locations would always be too few.
Actually, 2 locations was more than enough for this game.
As for additional levels, The game just needed more developed Prague section with more NPCs and some additional rooms.(So I don't think they would ever add Germany and Turkey to this game.)

It already have far longer length compared to other linear games of that time. (RE games, MGS games that had too much cutscenes, Onimusha games, Devil May Cry , Max Payne 1 and 2 etc)
Old 05-12-19, 14:38   #26
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Quote:
Actually, 2 locations was more than enough for this game.
As for additional levels, The game just needed more developed Prague section with more NPCs and some additional rooms.(So I don't think they would ever add Germany and Turkey to this game.)

It already have far longer length compared to other linear games of that time. (RE games, MGS games that had too much cutscenes, Onimusha games, Devil May Cry , Max Payne 1 and 2 etc)
The problem is, for me, too much wandering in the bland open world and too little in the way of tomb-like environments. Two would not be too few, as long as there was more tombs.

Was this game really bigger than those ones? It feels short to me.

I took the liberty of looking into TRC and AoD's credits on MobyGames, and indeed all veterans were in TRC! I listed below the TR games they worked before TRC and TRAoD:
Richard morton - TRIII, IV, TLA - design
Richard Flower - TRIII, IV - programming
Chris Coupe - TRIII, IV - programming
Jeremy Heath Smith - TRII, III, IV - producer
Adrian E Smith - TRII, III, IV - producer

None of the ones that were working in AoD seem to have worked with TR before AoD!
Some, however, worked in other (arguably smaller) IPs:
Stephane Denis - Alone in the Dark IV - programmer
Neil Topham - Fighting Force 1 e 2 - programmer
Sarah Avory - Fighting Force 1 e 2 - programmer

The rest seems rather new to game development.

Last edited by paulojr_mam; 05-12-19 at 14:59.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 07:07   #27
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Honestly, Chronicles should have just been handed off to the TR Gold expansions team :/.
Old 07-12-19, 08:03   #28
dg1995
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Honestly, Chronicles should have just been handed off to the TR Gold expansions team :/.
Or it should have been turned into a PS2 launch title.

That way fans would have at least forgiven some of it's shortcomings.(Similar to the way that Onimusha 1 was received well despite having too little content.)
Old 07-12-19, 09:04   #29
_Tomb_Raider
Professor

AOD is that classic TR that I always keep coming back to. Despite all the flaws, its story is unmatched - going even outside of the franchise.
Old 07-12-19, 09:30   #30
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Honestly for starters it was Core's fault that they decided to put inexperienced people on a new, commercially crucial and first next-gen AAA title while all the experienced folks were struggling with Chronicles.

Like, I can't even understand the reasoning behind this. TR5 team hated old TR and wanted something fresh. They could have tried the same thing they did with TR3, that is putting new people to work on it with the old, ready technology while the experienced team could focus on creating a new tech for the new generation. It worked with TR3, why not TR5? It could have saved both games.

Also Core was big at the time and there were two other teams working on Herdy Gerdy and Project Eden at the time. Why not using their technology? Why not using their team for TRAOD? Both games were released and they were decent. Not great, but decent.

Last edited by Caesum; 07-12-19 at 09:32.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote