www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 19-12-19, 17:50   #1
dg1995
Historian

Default Is this theory true in your opinion?

I heard a theory from someone regarding on why Lara's animations are slower in the released game compared to trailers:

-"Core Design slowed down Lara's animations to artificially extend AOD's gameplay time. Similar to the way that developers sometimes add unskippable cutscenes that you can't skip."

I personally found this theory believable. After all , Core just decided to slow down Lara's animations even though that there was no need for doing that.

When a modder with much less resources compare to developers can make the run animation faster, I think Core could easily fix that but they didn't.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-19, 18:13   #2
Samz
Relic Hunter

I mean Lara already runs the risk of running into walls a bit in AOD?

The levels are also generally much smaller, only really in the Hall of Seasons does it ever feel like Lara was slowed down and after that point you have sprint.

I think it was more because she'd run into walls constantly in the smaller levels.
Old 19-12-19, 18:52   #3
dg1995
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
I mean Lara already runs the risk of running into walls a bit in AOD?

The levels are also generally much smaller, only really in the Hall of Seasons does it ever feel like Lara was slowed down and after that point you have sprint.

I think it was more because she'd run into walls constantly in the smaller levels.
Well, I don't think fast movements cause that much trouble in majority of the game's areas.

Yeah it may cause some movement problems in the apartments but after that, I don't think it would cause any problems.(Even the trailers showed no problem with those fast movements.)
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-19, 23:47   #4
Maverin
Archaeologist

I've read somewhere that they lost the animation coding near to the end of their development cycle. So they had to rush out new code which could be why she's moving like that in the final product. This is not confirmed though.

The beginning of the game has a lot of small area's, but as soon as you're in Paris things start to open up a bit. So the bumping into walls might have been another reason.
Old 20-12-19, 03:51   #5
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

Yeah that's right. Core Design couldn't fix the animations unfortunately.
Old 20-12-19, 09:40   #6
Caesum
Tomb Raider

There was an interview with one Core member (can't remember which article though) where he said they had to slow down Lara's moves otherwise she'd bug the controller. I think this is the most believable version, although can't really imagine why it'd bug the controller itself.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-19, 13:17   #7
Jason Kilich
Hobbyist

e
Jason Kilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-19, 14:39   #8
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
There was an interview with one Core member (can't remember which article though) where he said they had to slow down Lara's moves otherwise she'd bug the controller. I think this is the most believable version, although can't really imagine why it'd bug the controller itself.
Maybe she turned too fast?

I know in Shadow the Hedgehog, Shadow turns alot faster and is general a lot more sensitive than Sonic in previous games (presumably to fit the fact he technically has hover shoes rather than touching the ground) and he is signifficantly harder to control as a result, while I do think it's possible to adapt to it, it does make basic movement tougher than most 3D sonic games due to an abundance of death-falls in Shadow.
Old 22-12-19, 22:36   #9
Nerdy
Historian

Now I think about it. This game did felt shorter for me after I installed these patches. Like walking faster... does make a difference. Just like the new games. When you skip cutscenes. You realize these games are short.
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-19, 23:03   #10
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
Now I think about it. This game did felt shorter for me after I installed these patches. Like walking faster... does make a difference. Just like the new games. When you skip cutscenes. You realize these games are short.
Short but fun.

I'm honestly kinda glad I own the non-steam version of AOD since I'd probably have over 50 hours on it or something now.

Still at least you can skip most of the cutscenes in AOD (pretty much just not the bits with conversations) unliek Chronicles/Last Revelation.