www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-01-20, 20:51   #11
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Agreed. AJ Lara is to Classic Lara what Alicia Lara is to Reboot Lara. Same person, same style, same behavior, same everything just a different timeline.
Old 02-01-20, 20:55   #12
lance6439
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Agreed. AJ Lara is to Classic Lara what Alicia Lara is to Reboot Lara. Same person, same style, same behavior, same everything just a different timeline.
Alicia Lara, 2013 Lara & comic book Lara are almost the same to me as well.

Rise and Shadow Lara are completely different people and feel less developed than Alicia Lara/2013Lara/Comic Lara. The 2013 game had a good amount of character development and then it all went downhill.
Old 02-01-20, 20:58   #13
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

2013 was a masterpiece periodt. My problem is with rise and especially Shadow. They didn't follow what tr2013 set up. 0 evolution. Trash. Shadow especially because it is the game concluding all this bs and it failed to do it properly. It's a memorable game for negative reasons only.
Old 02-01-20, 21:01   #14
Ellioft
Professor

For me reboot Lara wasn't calculated at first to be as iconic as classic Lara and that's not a problem I love female characters like Faith from Mirror's Edge who isn't the definition of iconic for exemple.

Arthukraz have you read Late Raider post about reboot Lara's evolution ?

Shadow isn't that bad let's be real for a second.

Last edited by Ellioft; 02-01-20 at 21:03.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 21:08   #15
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Yes I have and it was interesting but it does not change my mind about the game or Lara. We shouldn't have to analyze everything so thoroughly just to notice some type of evolution when you can easily see evolution in other game characters simply by playing the game. It's right there in your face and it brings a proud mom smile on your face. With reboot Lara you have to hope she finally does or says something badass that Classic Lara would do or say

Last edited by Athukraz; 02-01-20 at 21:10.
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 21:14   #16
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
2013 was a masterpiece periodt. My problem is with rise and especially Shadow. They didn't follow what tr2013 set up. 0 evolution. Trash. Shadow especially because it is the game concluding all this bs and it failed to do it properly. It's a memorable game for negative reasons only.
You know damn well if they threw in Croft Manor into Shadow like you got clowned into thinking you'd be praising it, I've seen you

This thread is useless btw. Classic Lara is absolutely iconic and Reboot Lara was able to ride the coattails of that in name but not in iconography. However, the game(s) accomplished enough to solidify itself by selling immense amounts of copies, something Classic Lara fizzled out doing after 1998. That doesn't make her any less iconic, but it's not like the rebooted series accomplished nothing. Both can exist, contrary to popular belief on this site.
Old 02-01-20, 21:14   #17
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Yes I have and it was interesting but it does not change my mind about the game or Lara. We shouldn't have to analyze everything so thoroughly just to notice some type of evolution when you can easily see evolution in other game characters simply by playing the game. It's right there in your face and it brings a proud mom smile on your face. With reboot Lara you have to hope she finally does or says something badass that Classic Lara would say
the thing is i did see them right in my face, i barely did any actual "analysis" aside from filling in some of the plot holes (like richard's research, the price of survival, and lara being 9 or 11 when richard died) and then sitting down to piece together why that stupid dice side quest relates to lara. like literally nothing is as subtle in her character development as people make it out to be, especially not in sottr when at least 3 separate times the game spoils what ending is in store for lara's character

you make it sound like i'm the always sunny pepe silvia meme when in reality i just made obvious **** sound greater than it was lmao

as for the topic at hand, the only laras that have had impact are first movie angie lara, TRI lara, and legend lara. literally no one remembers TRIII or TR:TLR
Old 02-01-20, 21:19   #18
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
No one's threatening your queen here
Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
Good job on saying what I said!
Double lol

This is a question that I can’t answer too. But there is a theory of mine (as always ).

Tomb Raider was heading towards a great direction with TR2013. The GP were interested in it, everyone loved everything about it, it sold millions, everyone was excited about TR’s future, people were keen on Rise.
Then the Microsoft exclusivity happened. People were like ‘meh’. The PS4 version getting extra content got ‘most’ people back on track.
Then Shadow happened, even with all of its pros, people concentrated (and still concentrates) on its cons (me too, tbh)...
Old 02-01-20, 21:20   #19
Legends
Tomb Raider

Reboot Lara has no impact because she's just a boring character. That's really it. There isn't anything about her that makes her special. And the reboot trilogy just aren't good enough games for the current standard. Just look at the best games of the last decade. The reboot trilogy is never mentioned.

Say what you will about classic Lara, but she wasn't boring. She stood out among everyone for various reasons. Confidence, sexiness, sass, giant ridicules boobs, dual guns, her braid, her outfit, and a whole lot of other things. Reboot Lara just doesn't do that and she just isn't a strong character on her own. She's just a forgettable girl with a bow.

Last edited by Legends; 02-01-20 at 21:22.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 21:25   #20
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

And lets add to all of this that if Classic Lara was created today instead, she would most likely be deemed as too generic and a character with the personality depth of a teaspoon.

Both versions came in completely different times in gaming culture. Like I said on my first post, CLara iconography rightly belongs to her in every possible way, as well as AngieLara. But IMO it's unrealistic to expect a female character to mimic the kind of impact that Lara did in 96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Just look at the best games of the last decade. The reboot trilogy is never mentioned.

Last edited by Vaskito; 02-01-20 at 21:26.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote