www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 06-01-20, 09:22   #1
Kivlov
Historian

Default Could it be if TR2 and sequels would have become PS exclusives?

I've found a small article, which stated that Eidos signed a contract with Sony about exclusivty of all TR games after the release of TR1.

Obviously it never happened. Why? Is it a fake or a mistake? Or at least the article title gets into confusion, because there's no any direct confirmation of the exclusivity in the press release itself.

Last edited by tlr online; 06-01-20 at 13:37. Reason: Link removed. See FAQ on posting links.
Kivlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 12:27   #2
b122251
Explorer

It did happen. Until the year 2000, the PS1 was the only console on which TR games came out. The PC wasn't really considered a console at the time. TR2 and on never came out on Sega Saturn for example, and only after 2000, when the exclusivity-deal ended, some of the TR games came out on Sega Dreamcast.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 18:11   #3
Kivlov
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
It did happen. Until the year 2000, the PS1 was the only console on which TR games came out. The PC wasn't really considered a console at the time. TR2 and on never came out on Sega Saturn for example, and only after 2000, when the exclusivity-deal ended, some of the TR games came out on Sega Dreamcast.
Thanks. Now I see. How interesting. Nowadays exclusive means full exclusive (including a PC). I didn't know those days PC was not considered anyhow at all. Curious fact.
Old 06-01-20, 21:49   #4
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

^ b122251’s right...

If I recall correctly, they were some sort of timed-exclusives (maybe for a day or two, or a few weeks)? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
Also, I’m not trusting the internet on release dates...

I also remember that Sony gave Eidos/Core alot of money to keep the TR franchise PS-exclusive till 1999 - that’s when the exclusivity ended and TR4 got a 2-month(??)-delayed Dreamcast release... ^.^
Old 07-01-20, 05:45   #5
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Even The Last Revelation had to wait until after 2000 to have it's release on the Dreamcast. I believe Sony renewed this deal for Angel of Darkness.

It's odd, for such a short exclusivity period, Lara sure is associated with being a PlayStation icon .
Old 07-01-20, 07:13   #6
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Even The Last Revelation had to wait until after 2000 to have it's release on the Dreamcast. I believe Sony renewed this deal for Angel of Darkness.

It's odd, for such a short exclusivity period, Lara sure is associated with being a PlayStation icon .
Probably because her introduction to the public was through PlayStation. And each sequel had come out on PlayStation making it natural to assume she was PlayStation's girl.

Although after the drama of AOD that all changed quickly. They tried to release her on as many platforms as possible.