www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 15-10-20, 10:08   #3381
Titak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatGirl View Post
I remember building with TRLE for over a year after TR5 came out, got about 15 custom levels all tied together. A lot of underlying Doctor Who, Stargate, and regular tomb raiding themes - one level you look over this precipice and down below is a giant CIA logo, heh, heh... love the customizing

But I miss the earlier fun times spent building gaming levels - now I'm too darned old and broken (cancer surgery, 3 lung surgeries, multiple sclerosis, etc) and can only play the TRLE levels others make. I am humbled at the professionalism at what other who stuck with it have accomplished - to them I am most grateful. I am one of those who can not play any first person game for more than 10 minutes without becoming deathly sick. 3rd person is awesome.
Finally - I'm limited to computer games only - no internet stuff - so I'm done after I finish Anniversary and Underworld. God bless TRLE for being there to fill the void.
One is never too old for building I think.
Unless other things make it difficult or even impossible. Sorry to hear this seems to be the case for you.

I'm the same with first person games.
Too much camera movement going on I guess.

Has the game you were working on back then been released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Palette is used for several purposes in TE, you can quickly change selected light colour with it just by dragging mouse around palette, and also you can change static mesh tint in the same way, if it is selected.

I don't know why classic TRLE/NGLE allows you to paint room geometry with palette colours in the first place. No any TR version allows colored polygons to be stored in room geometry data block. It looks more like unfinished feature or leftover from early pre-TR1 tests, which was never removed (which isn't a big surprise because Core dudes couldn't care less about removing half-working or unfinished features from their software).
That is also what it is used for in NGLE.

As for "texturing" room geometry with the colour palette in NGLE:
Not possible. It looks like the tiles are cooured in the editor, but when ingame, the tiles will simply be transparant.
Old 16-10-20, 17:15   #3382
Stryke
Student

Is it possible to make a TR5 game in TE with its current state? I see TR5 and TR5Main but will things work properly that are only in TR5 not in TR4?
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 17:36   #3383
Kubsy
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryke View Post
Is it possible to make a TR5 game in TE with its current state? I see TR5 and TR5Main but will things work properly that are only in TR5 not in TR4?
There was another thread about it and Lwmte said that you can but it’s buggy and you shouldn’t expect TR5Main devs to help you because of some bugs that are not known.

But you can still mess with it

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=225226 - For reference

Last edited by Kubsy; 16-10-20 at 17:37.
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-20, 17:41   #3384
Stryke
Student

ohhh wow thank you I just read it. Sounds like I better rethink that lol.
Stryke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-20, 19:12   #3385
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

I'm looking at getting back to level editing again after a year or so on break, but have a new computer and looking to redownload all tools. I love TE and I'm excited about TR5Main.

Question: Is now a good time to start again, or do others think should I wait for the next round of updates?
Old 18-10-20, 09:36   #3386
TokyoSU
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
I'm looking at getting back to level editing again after a year or so on break, but have a new computer and looking to redownload all tools. I love TE and I'm excited about TR5Main.

Question: Is now a good time to start again, or do others think should I wait for the next round of updates?
Do you think you can wait for TR5Main ?
If you want you can create your level for TRNG (With TombEditor) then when TR5Main is released maybe converting the level target (TRNG to TR5Main) is possible, you will just need to change the object id
Old 18-10-20, 10:14   #3387
Krystian
Archaeologist

Problem is it's hard to give estimates of when TR5Main 1.0 will get released, because we don't know yet what features will get included in first public release, and which will need to still be worked on. Also, the first public version will be more of a beta most likely, so people can give feedback about what they think, any overlooked bugs, and so on.

TE is getting better and better. All Classic (1-5) levels can be made now. So if you think the classics engines or TRNG will provide everything you need to make your own projects, you can start now. Else wait for first stable TR5Main release, though as I said, can't give any estimated date when that will happen.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 17:43   #3388
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSU View Post
If you want you can create your level for TRNG (With TombEditor) then when TR5Main is released maybe converting the level target (TRNG to TR5Main) is possible, you will just need to change the object id
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
So if you think the classics engines or TRNG will provide everything you need to make your own projects, you can start now.
Thanks for your input, this is really helpful! So if I understand correctly, if I make a level with TE, I should be able to play it in TR5Main eventually? I mean, if mostly what I'm doing is creating the geometry, the transition will be smooth down the road? I work super slowly anyway
Old 18-10-20, 18:07   #3389
Krystian
Archaeologist

It should be a possibilty, yes. All enemies and objects from classic games will be supported so there will be no problems in terms of objects not working (at least we hope). It might not be easy as just clicking a button, perhaps it may need some manual adjustments to the project before the import will be successful, but we'll see how that goes. Bottom line is that we want to make the transition as seamless as possible
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-20, 16:49   #3390
Kubsy
Student

Hey,

So currently I have a school holiday (One more week) and for starter, I want to build a Tr2 level (Also wanted to build tr4 levels but I am waiting for TR5Main).

But I don't know where to start because I have to specify the pathfinding etc. And also the textures, Lara, Objects, etc.

Where do I get those?