www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 18-10-20, 15:39   #25001
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Obelisk of Khamoon is the most challenging level from Crystal !
One of my favorite levels in the series. There is a particular section where you can go by without triggering any traps, but I always choose to activate the traps because it makes the area 10x more interesting.
Old 18-10-20, 15:42   #25002
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Egypte is certainly the best for me. Obelisk of Khamoon is the most challenging level from Crystal !
The traps are evil.

I can't believe I'm actually dying in a CD Tomb Raider game.

Like the amount of traps and their variety and how effective they are never existed in reboot. I always assumed that CD games are baby easy, but Anniversary is a whole other beast.

The levels aren't bland at all, there is a lot of complex geometry and platforming going on in later levels. While a lot of it revolves around transversal, they at least provided challenge and it isn't cinematic or set pieces like it is in reboot. Your in full control and they provide many traps and ways for you to get killed due to improper transversal or improper platforming.

I do think they could have gone a step farther with actual platforms and stuff, but it's most certainly a massive improvement from what we've had for the past 6 years.

It's actually possible to die due to traps and platforming. I never died in any of the reboots due to platforming or traps, which is a shame.

The difficulty scales in Anniversary going from something simple to something that really keeps you on your toes as your usually seconds from death.

Anyways

Last edited by charmedangelin; 18-10-20 at 15:43.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 15:47   #25003
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
One of my favorite levels in the series. There is a particular section where you can go by without triggering any traps, but I always choose to activate the traps because it makes the area 10x more interesting.
I always wondered, is this by mistake or by design?

As a kid I just assumed I should go straight down and literally never bothered with the other route until I decided I wanted to get that artifact at the top of the room.

It was literally a few years ago that the game actually wants you to go the other way and face the blades
Old 18-10-20, 15:57   #25004
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
The traps are evil.

I can't believe I'm actually dying in a CD Tomb Raider game.

Like the amount of traps and their variety and how effective they are never existed in reboot. I always assumed that CD games are baby easy, but Anniversary is a whole other beast.
There were some exceptions like Underworld and Shadow additional content but Anniversary was the only one to feature that level of deadly traps in the main game. Pity !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post

As a kid I just assumed I should go straight down and literally never bothered with the other route until I decided I wanted to get that artifact at the top of the room.

It was literally a few years ago that the game actually wants you to go the other way and face the blades
It was indeed quite strange that can you do some rooms backwards and not activate some traps or even enemies. That was quite fresh at least, because TRA was quite linear in the rest of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
I played it recently and yes I was surprised it was really fun ! I remember it to be quite annoying when I was younger. Only bad thing : there are a couple of poles when Lara could miss them easily, the automatic move wouldn't perform as usual. I suppose because of the smashing doors, there was a delay of little seconds when Lara didn't detect the pole despite the doors to be open.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 18-10-20 at 16:22.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 16:04   #25005
CroftManiac05
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post

That's what I did as well back in the days
I think that was intentional. Whoever was curious enough to climb on the switch would pay the price.

Quote:
I played it recently and yes I was surprised it was really fun ! I remember it to be quite annoying when I was younger. Only bad thing : there are a couple of poles when Lara could miss them easily, the automatic move wouldn't perform as usual. I suppose because of the smashing doors, there are little seconds when Lara don't detect the pole despite the doors to be open.
Yeah that was annoying. You need to wait just a bit more before jumping, but most of the times she ended up being toast.

Last edited by CroftManiac05; 18-10-20 at 16:07.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 16:22   #25006
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Excuse me while I proceed to throw my controller at the wall.

Old 18-10-20, 16:24   #25007
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...18_120423q.jpg
EXACTLY this moment we are talking about. Good luck !
Old 18-10-20, 16:28   #25008
TombRager
Inactive

Quote:

[IMG]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/557074738145656847/767421897544826910/IMG_20201018_120423q.jpg[IMG]
Oh my God I remember suffering in this part. This Anniversary game is the one that originated my name I suffered a lot through that game I didn't get to complete it though, but have fun!
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 17:05   #25009
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Peru be like: Look at all our wonderful exhibit.

Greece be like: Hey now, don't go near the artifact ok?

Egypt be like: Nah bitch, you ain't getting the artifact.

Quote:
EXACTLY this moment we are talking about. Good luck !
Finally got through it after half an hour it seems like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRager View Post
Oh my God I remember suffering in this part. This Anniversary game is the one that originated my name I suffered a lot through that game I didn't get to complete it though, but have fun!
Thanks, it's been quite an experience. It's like I playing it for the first time even though I've played it before. It's been many years since I last touched LAU and so far I'm impressed.

It has restored my passion in Tomb Raider.

Edit

I swear this level feels like it came straight out of TR3. The one time CD actually trolls the player with those blades. Newbies are gonna have a really rough time in this section, pure evil and yet hilarious at the same time.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 18-10-20 at 17:26.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-20, 20:00   #25010
Bridge
Historian

I don't feel like bashing the Squeenix games anymore cause it's honestly just a waste of my time and I did it for the stupidest of reasons.
They're fun games with some ridiculous elements but they're still better than a good amount of what the modern industry churns out today and spending hours on the internet everyday arguing over what a "real tomb" should be is the stupidest thing i've done since I bought a Nvidia GT 1030 for gaming

Quote:
Heh, I was going through that level the other night and quit somewhere around that part too

Last edited by Bridge; 18-10-20 at 20:05.
Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote