Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 08-03-19, 15:14   #1
berrywindow321

Exclamation Angkor Wat Texture images?

Hey guys,

I have recently started work on creating a Unreal Engine 4 re-make of the Angkor Wat level from Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, and I would like to add some of the original textures in there/re-make HD versions of some very similar!

Does anyone have the texture available as images in a good size rather than the texture file? Would be incredibly appreciated!

Also, if theres any object modellers, character modellers or anyone with music information, speak up!

Thanks so much guys!

Andrew

Last edited by berrywindow321; 08-03-19 at 15:36.
berrywindow321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 16:42   #2
Titak

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but at least it's higher resolution stuff than the vanilla Angkor Wat textures and objects.
https://www.trsearch.org/Media.php?a...h=Search&Type=

Google Images also allows for searching for images by either using an URL to a certain image or you can upload an image from your computer into it. Google will then try to find matching images on the internet.
People have been tracking down original images that were used by Core Design to make their textures with.
Who knows, it might help you find what you are looking for.

*** EDIT ***

Textures from TRU Thailand could perhaps be useful?

Last edited by Titak; 08-03-19 at 16:47.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 17:05   #3
AgentXP

In case it's also helpful, LevelNextGen has made some remake textures, including Angkor Wat. The Google Drive link is from his object/texture thread on here, hope I'm allowed to share : https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3MDBl?hl=en_US
AgentXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 17:50   #4
Titak

^
Those are good.
(for TRLE purposes anyway)

Found them on my own HD, just didn't know where I got them from.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-19, 15:08   #5
berrywindow321

Cool

Thanks guys! Appreciate the links, however they are still wayyy too small to be used in an Unreal Engine remake. I guess il have to create re-makes of them from scratch or use something similar. Appreciate the input though thank you.
Old 12-03-19, 15:27   #6
Dustie

There are some upscaling solutions available that you could try using on the original textures if you are keen on keeping the graphics faithful. The results aren't always satisfying, but there's at least 1 upscaling solution which does seem to do the job quite well, depending on the images.

Also, Nickelony made a port of Angkor Wat for the Source Engine (iirc) and he used the original tiles from what I've seen.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 09:58   #7
berrywindow321

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
There are some upscaling solutions available that you could try using on the original textures if you are keen on keeping the graphics faithful. The results aren't always satisfying, but there's at least 1 upscaling solution which does seem to do the job quite well, depending on the images.

Also, Nickelony made a port of Angkor Wat for the Source Engine (iirc) and he used the original tiles from what I've seen.
Awesome! Can you share more information on both points? I cannot find the right info from searching.Thank you
Old 15-03-19, 11:00   #8
Dustie

tbh the only we ever tried was Let's Enhance, but mind you, it's not free and it has some harsh pricing... but maybe it could be useful for other projects for you. Free account allows to try it a few times, so you can see if the results are worth it. Using it on a full texture set seemed to give the best results - so instead of using it on small tiles just use the whole texture set ripped from the level using Jack!
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 14:12   #9
Zebra

As far as texture upscaling goes, I'd recommend Topaz's A.I. Gigapixel. You can use it for free for a month (I think it's around 100$ after that - but you should be able to get all textures uprezzed during the trial period) and, depending on what you feed it, it can give you some pretty great results. It uses machine learning/AI to try and reconstruct higher res versions of images. I did some tests with AoD and TR2 textures a while ago (I had to scale down the high-res versions a bit to comply with forum rules):

Original:

Uprezzed:

Original:

Uprezzed:

Original:

Uprezzed:

Original:

Uprezzed (this one didn't turn out so well):

Basic rule of thumb seems to be that, the more photographic an image is, the better. It tends to have a harder time with more abstract/painterly stuff, drawings, etc. Also, of course, the higher res your source material is, the better. With classic TR textures being so small, the algorithm has to do a LOT of guesswork and sometimes those guesses end up being wrong.

One thing to keep in mind, though, (assuming you're planning on using these for your UE4 remake) is that classic TR textures aren't really PBR compatible. They usually have shadows and highlights on them (which, in your PBR base colour texture, you'd want to avoid), they often feature 2D details that you'd want to actually model in 3D in a modern game and you'd still need to create your own normal maps, roughness maps, AO maps... so in some cases it may not make too much sense to use the original textures and in pretty much all cases, you'll have edit the textures for them to work in a PBR workfow.

Additionally, I'd recommend maybe looking at some of Tomb Raider: Underworld's Thailand textures since you might be able to find some stuff that fits nicely in there (and while they're not physically based, it should be easier to turn those into PBR textures than the TR4 textures). Last but not least, depending on whether you're willing to spend any money on this, Quixel Megascans has got some nice Angkor Wat materials that they photo-scanned from the real architecture.

Last edited by Zebra; 15-03-19 at 14:19.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 10:07   #10
berrywindow321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
As far as texture upscaling goes, I'd recommend Topaz's A.I. Gigapixel. You can use it for free for a month (I think it's around 100$ after that - but you should be able to get all textures uprezzed during the trial period) and, depending on what you feed it, it can give you some pretty great results. It uses machine learning/AI to try and reconstruct higher res versions of images. I did some tests with AoD and TR2 textures a while ago (I had to scale down the high-res versions a bit to comply with forum rules):

Original:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/AmsV30V.jpg[img]

Uprezzed:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZUtDNc1.jpg?1[img]

Original:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/j3TNBza.jpg[img]

Uprezzed:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/XtvG8ij.jpg[img]

Original:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/M06GRyY.jpg[img]

Uprezzed:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/EhhE1ux.jpg[img]

Original:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/mmWkXdA.jpg[img]

Uprezzed (this one didn't turn out so well):
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Sl1qugL.jpg[img]

Basic rule of thumb seems to be that, the more photographic an image is, the better. It tends to have a harder time with more abstract/painterly stuff, drawings, etc. Also, of course, the higher res your source material is, the better. With classic TR textures being so small, the algorithm has to do a LOT of guesswork and sometimes those guesses end up being wrong.

One thing to keep in mind, though, (assuming you're planning on using these for your UE4 remake) is that classic TR textures aren't really PBR compatible. They usually have shadows and highlights on them (which, in your PBR base colour texture, you'd want to avoid), they often feature 2D details that you'd want to actually model in 3D in a modern game and you'd still need to create your own normal maps, roughness maps, AO maps... so in some cases it may not make too much sense to use the original textures and in pretty much all cases, you'll have edit the textures for them to work in a PBR workfow.

Additionally, I'd recommend maybe looking at some of Tomb Raider: Underworld's Thailand textures since you might be able to find some stuff that fits nicely in there (and while they're not physically based, it should be easier to turn those into PBR textures than the TR4 textures). Last but not least, depending on whether you're willing to spend any money on this, Quixel Megascans has got some nice Angkor Wat materials that they photo-scanned from the real architecture.
This was super useful! Yes, I have realised the original textures will not be much use in a remake. I will look into Quixel Megascans and try to replace them with something very similar. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by AkyV; 17-03-19 at 11:59. Reason: Mod. edit: Please do not quote the whole images of the previous post.