www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 30-01-23, 16:06   #151
Delamo1999
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagius View Post
I don't know precisely what Dallas' answer would be, but being a helpful people-pleaser, anxiety-prone and invested in family relationships are fairly stereotypically feminine characteristics. Which was a deliberate choice on Rihanna's part.

The additional problem is that they're trying to combine:

* Lara is a nice person
* Lara is a free agent who enjoys her work
* Lara is a mass killer and the game is about killing people

Since these can't really be combined, she also feels schizoid and angsty when she's not being stereotypical.

I think it's highly unlikely that Tomb Raider 3 in particular is going to get an exact and faithful remake, for the same reason that real-world urban locations are unlikely to be visited: Lara going on a massive unrestricted killing spree in broad daylight in a place where police exist would result in her going to prison. (Also, even moderately woke developers are going to have severe problems with how the polynesian islanders are handled.)
I welcome the changes. It would still be fun to play. About the natives in the game, yes, there would have to be consideration regarding them. Or have something totally different. I'm going to remain optimistic about the game. However, at this point, I am welcoming whatever the new game is going to be. Thank you for responding to my post. Long live Tomb Raider!
Delamo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-23, 18:27   #152
Pelagius
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delamo1999 View Post
I welcome the changes. It would still be fun to play. About the natives in the game, yes, there would have to be consideration regarding them. Or have something totally different. I'm going to remain optimistic about the game. However, at this point, I am welcoming whatever the new game is going to be. Thank you for responding to my post. Long live Tomb Raider!
Yeah, as long as all you're looking for is roughly the same kind of gameplay and/or level layout I think that should be pretty manageable.

When it comes to Area 51 you might be able to change the story slightly so that RX-Tech is running the site instead of the US army, or maybe just spend slightly more effort on justifying how Lara could break in and kill them all (e.g, human experiments?) Or make it a stealth segment, or something. But it won't be 100% identical to the original.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-23, 21:47   #153
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Yeah, as long as all you're looking for is roughly the same kind of gameplay and/or level layout I think that should be pretty manageable.

When it comes to Area 51 you might be able to change the story slightly so that RX-Tech is running the site instead of the US army, or maybe just spend slightly more effort on justifying how Lara could break in and kill them all (e.g, human experiments?) Or make it a stealth segment, or something. But it won't be 100% identical to the original.
You didn't know that they all work for Dr. Willard?
Dr. Willard isn't US Army. Dr. Willard is a scientist. (A private contractor).

Dr. Willard put the items together you see? To build the next one. Fortunately Tomb Raider was on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Sara Pezzini ? You mean the Witchblade ?

Don't know why you think she will be in the next TR when Crystal doesn't even own the character.
The evolution is not to change the stories or come up with new stories, but rather to use what is there, and form them into a modern day understandable format. There is so much content nowadays, that comparison is unavoidable.

The Witchblade Tomb Raider crossover is just waiting to be molded into a modern format, like a videogame.

Last edited by jeffrey van oort; 30-01-23 at 21:53.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-23, 00:03   #154
sliderman
Hobbyist

1. What is your favourite single memory of playing a Tomb Raider game?

2. Is the new “unified” era going to be a continuation of the recent reboot trilogy? Or is it based on some mix of all the previous origin stories?

3. Recently there have been few games released with well-received combat based around acrobatics (e.g. “Guardians of the Galaxy” being received very well overall as a game OR Forspoken combat being mentioned as one of the few good things in this game) do you think there is a room for such in a Tomb Raider series? Or do you prefer it being a cover-based arena TPP shooter as reboots?

4. Are you a fan of player characters talking to themselves or with other characters as a way of helping a player either with gameplay or understanding the story? Does such design philosophy help with creating a feeling of isolation? Is there still a place for a feeling of being isolated in a Tomb Raider game?

3. What gameplay elements do you think aged badly in a reboot trilogy, what gameplay changes were good? Are there any gameplay aspects that you think should be brought back from older iterations?

4. Do you agree with the statement that Classic Lara was highly sexualised in games and Reboot Lara is not?

5. Do you consider LAU Lara the same character as Classic Lara?

6. Who is your favourite actress who portrayed Lara so far?

7. From all the Tomb Raider games and movies, which medium had your favourite story and writing? Do you prefer when a game's story is spread across a few games (for example a trilogy) or do you prefer standalone, not connected adventures?

8. Reboot Era is often described as “the realistic one”. Do you agree with that statement? What do you think is the aspect that makes Tomb Raider reboot more realistic than the Classic or LAU era? Are there some aspects of the previous iterations that are more realistic than in the reboot?

9. Do you agree with the statement that reboot Lara is the first Lara that felt like an actual human because she finally got some emotions?

10. Do you think Lara is a hero? How would you describe Lara Croft's character / psychological profile using only a few words?

11. How would you describe Laras look in a few words? What are her visual traits? What style of clothing does she enjoy?

12. Imagine you have very long hair, what hairstyle would you choose for a quite long and demanding adventure? A. Tight Braid B. Ponytail with eye length bangs. C. Spikey, stiff mullet overly covering your face. D. Maybe something else?

13. What should be the 3 main gameplay pillars of a Tomb Raider game?

14. What is your favourite movie that you think future Tomb Raider games could take inspiration from?

15. Are there any non-TR games from which Tomb Raider could take inspiration?

16. What is your biggest dream regarding the future of the Tomb Raider franchise?

*kisses*

Last edited by sliderman; 31-01-23 at 00:05.
sliderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-23, 16:05   #155
Pelagius
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey van oort View Post
You didn't know that they all work for Dr. Willard?
Dr. Willard isn't US Army. Dr. Willard is a scientist. (A private contractor).

Dr. Willard put the items together you see? To build the next one. Fortunately Tomb Raider was on site.
I don't think the soldiers at Area 5 were canonically working for Willard in TR3, although admittedly Lara's actions would be a lot more comprehensible if they were.
Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-23, 17:25   #156
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

With all this Amazon talk, it would actually be interesting to ask exactly how much is Amazon involved in the future of Tomb Raider...
Old 31-01-23, 20:55   #157
jeffrey van oort
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I don't think the soldiers at Area 5 were canonically working for Willard in TR3, although admittedly Lara's actions would be a lot more comprehensible if they were.
I believe the location mentioned is Antarctica. And they do. Rx tech is translated as Ex-Re. "R" As in former droid. (Not Robot, because Robots perform work against their will). They are there because they shipped themselves there for the next one on that big boat that isn't in the fmv. "Tech" is for us to get.

Area 51 refers to the 50 states of the US + 1, because of the world power one would possess with that level. A state of your own that must be under surveillance for that reason.

Because players are able to choose their own location order it was never really clear, that before she goes to Antarctica she went to Area51. And the story that supposedly happens in Antarctica is still happening 50 +1. They've never left.