www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 21-07-18, 14:15   #1601
LoreRaider
Explorer

^ Check the settings and see where Tomb Editor is taking samples
Old 21-07-18, 14:36   #1602
Piega
Archaeologist

I managed to installed completely. The NGLE installed double installation maps which was all the trouble! Anyway the footsteps sounds are all dissapeared! From exsisting levels as recompiled. I suspect this is Windows 10?

OK last complaint! It makes no sense whatsoever. TRLE installed, TRNG installed over the TRLE, it works. I have tomb editor neat and tidy installed seperately. However I should keep it this way? Because when you install tomb editor over your TRNG installation the game is installed 2 times in different maps??? Transferring tomb editor is not possible cause it wont load I guess it depends on the setup of folders?

Anyway I'm on my way I can do my thing but where is the logic??

Last edited by Piega; 21-07-18 at 15:05.
Piega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-18, 16:00   #1603
Shakira Croft
Archaeologist

I just thought of something... Would it be possible to change the way ladder work? I mean, couldn't we make it work like textures where we have to apply that "texture" to a wall segment/square to make it climbable? No more vertical triggers would be needed
Old 21-07-18, 16:10   #1604
LoreRaider
Explorer

@Piega: NG_Center isn't done for TombEditor, since that came out later, in fact if you try to add Tomb Editor folder into NG_Center settings, it says that the folder isn't a TRLE related one
What you can do is keeping NGLE and Tomb Editor in separated folders, and then in Tomb Editor, in settings, you just put all the right folders for textures, wad, sounds etc.. saving a project, so that everytime you open it, folder paths are correctly set (since layout so far it's not saved correctly)
Old 21-07-18, 18:28   #1605
Joey79100
Professor

@Piega: The playable TRLE folder ("Game" IIRC) provided in the Tomb Editor download is just here so people don't have to install TRLE before using TE. But you don't even have to use it if you already have a TRLE folder, you can just unzip TE, ignore the resources provided, and just use TE as a separate tool. It's not like NGLE which needed to be in the TRLE folder, it's completely independent (which is good).
So you only have to open TE, import a project, you may need to set up the correct folders for sounds for example, so it finds the samples at the correct location, but it's something that will be saved in your project anyway.

@Shakira Croft: This might be hard, cause it's something tied to the engine, not the editor. So maybe workarounds could be made so it automatically sets up the correct TRNG triggers, but that's not even sure because there is no perfect solution even using TRNG triggers (imo just making Lara drop when she's out of the bounds is a very bad choice).

Last edited by Joey79100; 21-07-18 at 18:30.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-18, 13:26   #1606
TombLevBauer
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_S View Post
Anyone knows if the following feature is / will be available : to split vertical portals for texturing purposes? That would be awesome
I wanted to things like that since I joined, but it's really hard with the inner workings as they are right now.
So probably not soon unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeelooBastet View Post
I thought about a new feature when building shapes and it would be nice if it could be implemented

Moving a point of a square like we can do with 3D object in meta, but moving it taking in account the rules of the editor (i mean the clicks and slope degrees)
Moving it alone + moving it taking in account the adjacent squares too)

Here what i mean : (dont worry about the red square, i am talking about the point the arrows go from)

Is this hard to implement ?
Yes, it is. The first problem is the difficulty of identifying and keeping track of vertices, if we want to associate additional data with them. Vertices are dynamically created by the sector geometry, also each each polygon has there own (they are not shared inside the editor). The difficulties of implementing the above suggestion (walls with more subdivisions) come into play here too.

This particular feature request seems very natural and makes sense to me, but also we need to be careful about the general direction we are headed. Just moving single vertices around would be extremely time consuming to the user. It probably suffices for very basic things, but it will quickly becomes impractical and too limited. To make it generally usable, much more features would be necessary. What springs to mind is multi selection of vertices in different ways, adding vertices, removeing them, various primitives, extrusion tools, smooth, ...
Man, that would be an insane amount of work and complexity. Currently we just do no 3D modelling things, so there is a clear cut. We shouldn' start going down a rabit hole of reimplementing features of typical 3D modelling software.

If you want to do change the geometry beyond the sector based grid, I instead suggest to you, to use use the modelling software of your choice. It can do all that and much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piega View Post
Thx! Heavy scripting is not spend on me I'll be fine
Actually (heavy) scripting, should work just fine.
It's just that we don't support plugins. Also, recently someone reported, that there is a problem with fly by triggers in the script that we haven't been able to figure out yet.
But otherwise it should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakira Croft View Post
I just thought of something... Would it be possible to change the way ladder work? I mean, couldn't we make it work like textures where we have to apply that "texture" to a wall segment/square to make it climbable? No more vertical triggers would be needed
No this is not possible in the engine/*.tr4 fileformat.
There are just 4 flags on the sector. Each to mark one of the for 4 sides as climbable. There is no way to tell the engine that the ladder should start/stop vertically somewhere, so we can't do this with the current engine.
TombLevBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-18, 18:04   #1607
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombLevBauer View Post
Actually (heavy) scripting, should work just fine.
It's just that we don't support plugins.
I just wanted to add something about this, because people often seem to misunderstand this: plugins are not supported by TE, so you cannot load plugin triggers in TE and place them on the map, but they do work otherwise as they are supported by the engine and TRNG in a general way. So plugin triggers in the script do work, plugins that have a direct effect on the engine do work, it's just that TE cannot load plugin triggers.
Old 23-07-18, 08:39   #1608
MontyTRC
Historian

That's why I've started TR5Main project. Paolone has probably some personal life issues and we shouldn't blame him never. He did a great work in impossible conditions.
But now that we have a lot of knowledge about the engine code, far beyond expected even 5 years ago, it's time to do things differently.
I will take inspiration from TRNG features? Of course, yes I will make an exact 1:1 copy? No.
We need an open tool. Even if my sources are not publicy available, at least 20 people have access to my repositories and if one day I will decide to retire, I will make them publicy available for sure.
Old 23-07-18, 11:45   #1609
LGG_PRODUCTION
Explorer

Btw I think I still have to choose between TRNG and TR5..
Old 23-07-18, 15:42   #1610
MontyTRC
Historian

Just wait to see the finished product :P