Developer: Guerrilla Games
Platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
Genre: Action RPG

Trailer(s):

Announcement Trailer

Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Screenshots from PlayStation Blog

What we know

Horizon Forbidden West is an action-role playing game from the third-person perspective. The game was announced on June 11, 2020, at the PlayStation 5 virtual conference, Future of Gaming and is scheduled to be released on February 18, 2022 for the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. It will act as the sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn.

PlayStation 5 version

The PlayStation 5 version of the game will take advantage of the console's increased processing power, custom solid state drive storage, Tempest Engine and DualSense controller to support features such as advanced haptic feedback, 3D spatial audio, enhanced lighting, improved visual effects and reduced loading times.

The PlayStation 5 version of Horizon Forbidden West will support an optional "performance mode" that allows the game to run at 60 frames per second with a lower base resolution. The game will also feature an updated version of the Decima engine with support for high dynamic range.

Synopsis

Horizon Forbidden West continues the story of Aloy, a young huntress of the Nora tribe sent on a quest to a mysterious frontier spanning Utah to the Pacific Coast to find the source of a mysterious plague that kills all it infects. On her journey across the uncharted lands of the Forbidden West, she encounters hostile regions filled with natural threats and ravaged by massive storms, dangerous enemies and deadly machines, both new and old. As Aloy attempts to explore the wider and deeper parts of the Forbidden West, she discovers a vast array of diverse environmental ecosystems, including lush valleys, dry deserts, snowy mountains, tropical beaches and ruined cities, both above and below the water.

Gameplay

Players control Aloy, a huntress in a world ruled by machines. Set in an open world of post-apocalyptic California, Utah and Nevada, the game will explore the setting of a mysterious location known as the Forbidden West. The map will be bigger than its predecessor, filled with secrets that lie beneath ruins from the world of the Old Ones. The game will feature a multitude of iconic locations including a ruined San Francisco and the Yosemite Valley with various biomes. One of the main additions to the sequel is the element of underwater exploration. Players will be able to uncover the mysteries beneath the surface of seas, lakes and rivers. The game will also feature enhanced melee combat, revamped climbing mechanics and improved traversal options over the original game with the addition of the Valor Surge system, freeform climbing and tools such as the Shieldwing, Focus Scanner, Diving Mask and Pullcaster.

Links

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ho.../1100-6478302/

https://www.theverge.com/21294561/ho...ls-playstation

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/11/21...tion-5-trailer

https://www.androidcentral.com/horiz...t-all-machines

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-launch-on-ps4

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/25/2...-2022-february

Last edited by Alterjano; 26-08-21 at 00:11.
Alterjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 08:16   #2
ANoDE
Golden

Thanks for making this thread! Very well done so far.

Can't wait to see more of the game in the future. I really hope they are going to bring it to PC one day, too, as I don't think I'll be getting a PS5.

Considering how much I liked (the story of) the first game I'm brutally hyped for this.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 09:14   #3
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Thanks for making this thread! Very well done so far.

Can't wait to see more of the game in the future. I really hope they are going to bring it to PC one day, too, as I don't think I'll be getting a PS5.

Considering how much I liked (the story of) the first game I'm brutally hyped for this.
Thank you so much, I appreciate it! Definitely, me too. I loved HZD so much. One of my favorite games of this generation. There is still so much mystery that remains. Hopefully, Aloy will be able to uncover them in time. Though, I do know that Guerilla Games are planning a trilogy for this series. Hopefully, we will get a proper ending for Aloy's story and the Horizon universe.

I'm interested to see a gameplay for HFW in the near future. I assume there will be a PC version. If it happens, I just don't know when it will be released. Though, let's hope that it gets released, sooner rather than later. I believe this game should be playable across different platforms, including PC. However, I understand that Sony's exclusives/marketing spiel for the PS5 runs against that notion. But, I think this game deserves to be a platform agnostic title, that many people can access and enjoy playing.

Last edited by Alterjano; 27-06-20 at 09:20.
Old 27-06-20, 10:35   #4
Fantasy

I just hope the gameplay is amped up to match the story this time around!
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 14:41   #5
Vinkula

I can't wait for this!
Vinkula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-20, 19:28   #6
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
I just hope the gameplay is amped up to match the story this time around!
Hard agree lol. Fingers crossed, we get more substantial gameplay improvements for melee combat, enemy AI and the climbing system. IIRC, one of the biggest and most talked about issue from the first game were the facial animations and the general animations system. It was a very noticeable issue that people voiced their opinions about it. Thankfully, the Frozen Wilds DLC fixed some of these issues, but I think there is always room for further improvement.

Last edited by Alterjano; 27-06-20 at 19:30.
Old 27-06-20, 19:38   #7
Tsarina

Absolutely adore Horizon and Alloy, so glad this is getting a sequel, I need more flirtatious interactions between Alloy and the NPCs since they all seem to want to jump her bones haha.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-20, 07:06   #8
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarina View Post
Absolutely adore Horizon and Alloy, so glad this is getting a sequel, I need more flirtatious interactions between Alloy and the NPCs since they all seem to want to jump her bones haha.
I agree lol. Really hope we get to see more of Aloy's sassinness in the next game. Just hope that the studio will fix those facial animations though.
Old 15-07-20, 15:10   #9
Zelda master

Still haven't played the original, waiting for a good PC sale and will jump in. Curious when (and if) this'll arrive on PC.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-20, 21:36   #10
TrustyBow

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/st...43615325634560

Holy crap, Forbidden West is gonna be on the PS4 as well. That was the main reason I planned on getting a PS5. I might just end up waiting for the inevitable slim version of the console if that's the case.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote