Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 05-01-22, 06:36   #11
.snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
Thanks a lot everyone! This really helps. However, the widescreen patch doesn't seem to work any tips or tricks? could it be that I'm using windows 11?
I can't get the widescreen patch to work either.

What works for me is temporarily changing my monitor's display resolution. Maybe this will work for you too?

I'm on Windows 10 with a 25 inch widescreen monitor and normally I'm set at 3440 x 1440. All I do before playing one of the classic games (including AOD) is right click my desktop, select "Display settings" and then under the "Display resolution" drop down I select 1920 x 1440. Then I'm good to go and enter the game, and when I'm done playing I simply set my display settings back to what they are normally.

This won't make the game widescreen, it'll cause two black bars to appear on either side of your widescreen and your game to have a perfect box-screen resolution like the olden days. I personally don't mind playing the classics non-widescreen because I don't believe they were made to be played that way - the goal for me is to simply not have a stretched "fat-Lara" effect. Also, sometimes the widescreen shows certain bugs or secrets Core wanted to hide from camera sequences (the little boat in Natla's Mines comes to mind...)

Last edited by .snake.; 05-01-22 at 06:38.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-22, 16:36   #12
charmedangelin

Ok, I see what happened, they released a new version of the widescreen patch that works differently from the older version I have. I went ahead and downloaded the latest version that's from 2021. I'll provide instructions on how to work the program.

1. Before using the patch make sure to run the setup for the game you want to patch. For example if you want to patch TR3, run the set up for TR3 and set a resolution. Make sure to remember the resolution you have your game set to. For me I set mine to 1600x900.

2. After running the set up and setting a resolution it's time to install the patch. First when you downloaded the patch make sure to put the patch in it's own folder like this.

3. Next extract the patch into the folder you created.

4. Go to your games installation folder

5. Click and drag the exe from the installation folder into the folder where you put the patch.

6. Run the patch and make sure the boxes for camera distance and fov are filled in. For camera distance leave that number alone. For FOV delete the word undef and type the wide part of the resolution your using into the box. Since I'm using 1600x900 I'm going to type 1600 into the box. Then click apply

7. Now return the games exe back into the installation folder

Congrats your game will run in widescreen.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 05-01-22 at 16:43.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote