www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 27-11-21, 09:05   #391
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
So Rise of the tomb raider was called Tomb Raider II at some point. Wowh.
Probably a place holder until they could decide on what to call it. I still want to know what happened to the snake? Why did they not add? Hopefully they’ll add it into the next game because that would / would’ve been neat.
Old 28-11-21, 02:24   #392
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
I still want to know what happened to the snake?
Please tell me more. Where is there a snake?
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-21, 02:49   #393
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Please tell me more. Where is there a snake?
Here it is. I believe it was supposed to be in Geothermal Valley:

https://i.imgur.com/lnGMqvzl.jpg

Last edited by AntRaidsTombs; 28-11-21 at 02:53.
AntRaidsTombs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-21, 02:53   #394
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
Here it is. I believe it was supposed to be in Geothermal Valley:

https://i.imgur.com/E6VRMOR.jpg
Cool. Looks like it's underwater and was just repurposed as the eels in Shadow. Probably because in Rise they didn't end up developing the swimming as much as they did in Shadow.
Old 28-11-21, 02:55   #395
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Cool. Looks like it's underwater and was just repurposed as the eels in Shadow. Probably because in Rise they didn't end up developing the swimming as much as they did in Shadow.
They should've gave us the snake in Shadow then too because that looks amazing. I could only imagine the terror that I would've had seeing Lara attacked by a snake that big lol.
Old 28-11-21, 03:03   #396
.snake.
Archaeologist

Had it been an on-land hazard as a snake in the jungle, then yes, it would've been a nice diversion. The underwater eels sort of lost their novelty after the very first time and especially when they were repeated over and over and over again.

Then again, eel or snake, underwater or on land, it's always just a pre-determined-action-set-piece and so it ends up boring and not doing much for me.
Old 29-11-21, 10:44   #397
Valentino
Archaeologist

Has it been mentioned or confirmed if the opening of Rise is supposed to contrast/mimic the opening of TR2013? It's always been known how much Crystal copies and pastes things from other game franchises and their own previous games - but I just played Rise again and I really just sat their criticising what should be an exciting opening (it still is somewhat). But everything from Lara slipping down a ledge and catching the edge at the last moment (this actually happens twice in the first 10 minutes), to Lara shouting "Jonah, I'm here!", to Lara running from the avalanche while the pathway in front of her crumbles....
I get it buys time for them as developers so they can get the next game out asap, but it just emphasises (as usual) how Crystal always has the potential to be great but is somehow off the mark because of glaring weird choices they make.

Last edited by Valentino; 29-11-21 at 10:46.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 12:02   #398
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

I'm pretty sure CD talked about it once, but even if they didn't all 3 games have heavy parallels between their intros if you take the time to notice it. It''s pretty clear it was intentional as they show Lara's (however small) growth. I made I thread about it once IIRC.
Old 29-11-21, 14:07   #399
biscuits
Relic Hunter

It isn't really growth. Tis a circle.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-21, 15:04   #400
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
It isn't really growth. Tis a circle.
It does show growth, though.

All three games have a very early section of Lara getting on an accident that gets her injured and without any gear, that is true and that part is indeed circular.

But let's see how Lara goes about it:
  • TR2013: Lara is basically completely at a lost and doesn't really know what to do at first. She decides on the fly that she needs shelter after finding a small covered area (not really a cave) where she could make camp and start a fire with the matches she also just discovered. She goes to get wood and food, but only really considers getting a weapon and go hunting whe she finds a corpse that had a bow. In other words, she is just reacting to whatever she ends up finding.
  • RotTR: First thing on Lara's mind is to immediately find shelter, start a fire and craft a weapon, again a bow. While she perhaps should have been more prepared (not carrying any weapon), she actively starts searching for ways to survive, instead of thinking about the whenever she sees something somewhat useful. She also already has at least rope and matches that she could use to craft a bow and start a fire, if needed.
  • SotTR: Like in RotTR, first thing on Lara's mind is to get shelter and geared up. Unlike RotTR, she is actually fully prepared. We know she had all the necessary gear in hear from the Mexico segment, that she brought with her. Her goal is not to makeshift weapons and gear, is to find the ones she already brought. She does say she regrets not storing everything together, but the only thing she needed to makeshift was the Machette, and only to get her gear out of the plane wreckage. As far as she known, everything would still be in there, so even that Machete could have been discarded if her knife was also stored with her bow, rope and axes. She got unlucky, but she still got better equipment than what she got in the previous games because she prepared herself for the kind of adventure she knew she was getting.

Again, the situations are quite similar, but Lara isn't. She goes from a complete newbie in TR2013, to someone who knows what to do but should have come better prepared in RotTR, to someone fully prepared in SotTR. The different ways how Lara tackled a very similar situation in all three games show how she and her skills have progressed between each game.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 29-11-21 at 16:10.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote