www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 25-11-21, 18:32   #1
Raider8
Archaeologist

Default Fun and Stupid Things You've Seen or Done in Classic TR Games

I just had this sudden urge to start a thread about classic tomb raider games. So at that time when We first played those games (TR1-6), there were many odd, funny or stupid things here and there that were either in the games or we tried doing the just for fun. Let's just share those litte fun things as what we used to find odd or funny and what stupid things we tried doing in one of those games. For an example, let me start:

- The fact that TR1 lara could kick ass but not be able to climb simple ladders.

- Opening doors in like TR1-5 games.. Duhhh... Pulling a lever would open a door far far away which doesn't even make any sense at all. You could pull an underwater lever and some trap door may open. I mean what were they thinking lol.

- Before TR4 the locks were like, always separate from the door. They'd be on the wall next to the doors. I mean whyyy?!

- The fact that they introduced crowbars too early in TR3 that opening doors using crowbars reused the insert/place item animation. And the crowbar would be gone. It was later finely implemented in TR4 and 5 where she'd use a rod to open stuff.

- The fire wrath in the air always scared the crap out of me in TR4. That was the worst thing in that game that could lead to death. I mean what did I do. I'm just minding my own business. Go awayyy...

- Don't even get me started on the three ropes you had to swing in the catacombs in TR4. Aggghhhhrrrr!!!!!

- Teen lara sequence from TR5, that part was kinda scary and hilarious. I was like: what the hell is going on around here?!

- Opening a cupboard in TR6 in the Galleries under siege level gave lara the ability to sprint. Bravo Lara!

There are more... But lets hear what you guys say.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-21, 22:25   #2
_Seth
Professor

To pick up flares off of a table surface in TR2 you have to climb on top of it to stand on it, just to be able to bend down and pick it up by your feet!
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-21, 23:19   #3
trfan16
Archaeologist

I like these type of topics.

A lot of the switches in the Classic games were located in ridiculous areas. For example, to turn off the oven in the kitchen of High Security Compound you have to: enter the bathroom, push some boxes to gain access to a hole in the ceiling, pull a switch to flood the bathroom, enter another hole in the ceiling from the flooded bathroom, and finally pull a switch on the roof to turn off the oven.

Here are some more head-scratching moments:

- The swinging sandbags and crates in Opera House. What is the causing them to swing back and forth like a pendulum non-stop?

- In Diving Area and Offshore Rig, there are switches to open doors located right next to giant underwater fans.

- The fact that most of the henchmen throughout the series are immune to non-human enemies. The most glaring example is the Fiama Nera cultists in Floating Islands not being attached by the jade Xian statues. I even remember reading in the strategy guide that they were suppose to attack the Fiama Nera.

- I always thought Willard's plan in TRIII was pretty dumb and pointless. What was the advantage of becoming a giant mutated spider? Was he able to maintain his intelligence through the mutation? It seems that most of the RX-Tech workers who mutated became mindless monsters and the mutation looked painful.

- In the City of the Dead level, there was a crawl space you couldn't access until you move a dead body out of the way, enter a different crawl space that leads to a lever that opens a trap door that finally allows you to access the crawl space from earlier. Except Lara had enough room to enter the first crawl space in the first place without going through all this trouble.

- Word on the triple rope swinging part in the Catacombs level. Also, there was a rope swinging part while you had to avoid locusts in one of the Cairo levels as well.

- It seemed that Reboot Lara was captured by Trinity on multiple occasions and they let her live instead of disposing of her.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-21, 12:24   #4
Raider8
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
To pick up flares off of a table surface in TR2 you have to climb on top of it to stand on it, just to be able to bend down and pick it up by your feet!
We had to bear it in the starting three games. I mean how hard was it to implement pedestal item pickup animation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
A lot of the switches in the Classic games were located in ridiculous areas. For example, to turn off the oven in the kitchen of High Security Compound you have to: enter the bathroom, push some boxes to gain access to a hole in the ceiling, pull a switch to flood the bathroom, enter another hole in the ceiling from the flooded bathroom, and finally pull a switch on the roof to turn off the oven.
LMAO. Classic TR games although being state of the art at their times did have silly mechanics with the switches and doors. But that was the core gameplay and it really was appealing.

Last edited by Raider8; 28-11-21 at 12:25.
Old 28-11-21, 12:55   #5
_Seth
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
We had to bear it in the starting three games. I mean how hard was it to implement pedestal item pickup animation.
Well the bizarre thing is, TR1 Lara had a pedestal animation when picking up the Scion in Tomb of Qualopec and Sanctuary of the Scion. XD
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-21, 18:27   #6
Kidd Bowyer
Student

Hmmm, maybe it's something to do with how most pedestals are smaller than the traditional "block" shape, whereas most tables tend to be one block/square or more?

TR2 had some BIG tables lol.
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-21, 20:08   #7
Profc
Archaeologist

I use to burn Lara in her own fireplace and ran into the bathtub to extinguish her. I also tried drowning her in there I think Also enjoyed finally reaching her balcony using the wall glitch.
Old 29-11-21, 00:55   #8
Raider8
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Well the bizarre thing is, TR1 Lara had a pedestal animation when picking up the Scion in Tomb of Qualopec and Sanctuary of the Scion. XD
Ohh yes, I completely forgot since I have only played TR1 once in my life lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
Hmmm, maybe it's something to do with how most pedestals are smaller than the traditional "block" shape, whereas most tables tend to be one block/square or more?
TR2 had some BIG tables lol.
Yeah, the item is usually placed in the middle of the square and so she can't reach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
I use to burn Lara in her own fireplace and ran into the bathtub to extinguish her. I also tried drowning her in there I think Also enjoyed finally reaching her balcony using the wall glitch.
Not gonna lie, we all have done terrible things at the manor we don't even tell lol. Killing her at her own house was kind of an odd guilty pleasure.
Old 02-12-21, 03:50   #9
benjamin_2010
Archaeologist

Stupid things I did... (as a child gamer)

TR2: use weapons / ammo cheat to shoot all the guns repeatedly, at nothing, for several minutes at a time.

TR3: Never get past the first level but always play Lara's Home.

TR4: Struggle to get past the Cambodia levels.

TR5: Terrified of the dog growling sounds in Streets of Rome, save and quit.

Did anyone else rely solely on the level skip cheat to play these games as a kid?
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-21, 22:53   #10
Samz
Relic Hunter

I like to show off and slideflip sometimes instead of jumping forwards...doesn't always work out.

I pistol ran the entirety of Anniversary on PSP, granted not too silly considering how Anniversary's combat is entirely busted.

Goofs:

Core apparently thought the scope on a Carl Gustav was a lever of some kind? Lara moves her arm like it's some kind of "Load next rocket" lever when firing.

AOD: The Viper SMG is a Bizon, the bottom part of the gun (That Lara holds onto) is the Magazine, it's a big Cylinder, for some reason squashed Pistol Ammo Magazines (that end up kinda resembling old bolt action rifle magazines) are ammo picks for it instead of the Cylinder magazine. (that look like they probably couldn't hold 20 rounds, let alone 70.)

We were going to be able to stick a Laser Scope on the Taser in AOD, I don't think I need to explain why that's dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider8 View Post
Thankfully AOD has one.

Weirdly it's actually Dynamic, I've had circumstances where dropped items by enemies ended up ontop of something (or me below them) and Lara can actually do the Pedestal grab instead of having to climb up, which is a neat detail.