www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 14-12-20, 03:29   #3451
HaniHeger
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_trle View Post
Statics is the same idea, you just double click then click Import
Righty, Should've though about that≤≤≤≤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_trle View Post
meta2tr is not compatible with TombEdit, there is a FAQ thread with guiding related to imported geometry
I saw it fast, but it doesn't seem to say what is imported geometry you know. All that is in there, just like you said before, is assuming that the person knows what meta2tr is! That's why I need to know what it is even if I can't use it in TE

Last edited by HaniHeger; 14-12-20 at 03:30.
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-20, 10:56   #3452
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Imported geometry is just a mesh you import from blender/meta/3dsmax/etc and it will appear in your level as a part of room, but without collision. I am sorry if "imported geometry" term is hard to understand for you, it was coined by a bit "geeky" guy who is long gone from TE dev team, personally I would call it simply "external mesh" or something like that.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-20, 11:00   #3453
Krystian
Archaeologist

nvm, Lwmte was faster
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-20, 03:27   #3454
HaniHeger
Historian

hm cool! Do you know any example that I could find in a trle level or something like that?

What's the difference between using that and a moveable/static? It's just easier?
HaniHeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-20, 07:19   #3455
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaniHeger View Post
hm cool! Do you know any example that I could find in a trle level or something like that?

What's the difference between using that and a moveable/static? It's just easier?
I asked a similar question recently, since I am also *really* interested in figuring out how to make square trees look rounder, but know very little about how to actually go about doing this.

For examples of meta2tr I was told to check out Titak's canyon level in Coyote Creek 2, which was beautiful, but it sounds like that's not compatible with TE. I would love to know what resources are out there to learn the *basics* of how to learn imported geometry, or if there are examples of builders who have used imported geometry successfully with Tomb Editor.
Old 15-12-20, 09:44   #3456
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Imported geometry (since I am also sick of this ridiculous name, I will just call it "geo") primarily has 2 purposes. First off, since geos don't have any collision, you can save static slots and use decorative non-collisional meshes such as light rays, grass, foliage, fog as geos instead. Because geos allow rotation in any direction and also scaling, you can just import one geo and transform it in any way you want in different places of your level.

Second thing is you can export room mesh (under "Rooms -> Export room" menu), manipulate it in Blender/3dsmax/etc and then reimport it back, align with original room geometry and hide original one, so only reimported one appears. This allows you to use geos in the same manner as meta2tr. Additionally, you can export room mesh, cut it, retexture it and import back without hiding original mesh to do certain "overlay" effects, like caustics, because TE allows to use same animated textures in your reimported meshes as in your level project. This approach is described in tutorials section.

Additionally, you can simply use geos as elements of scenery which are inaccessible for player and enemies, so lack of collision will not affect anything. Also you can "mimic" collision for such elements with another TE feature called ghost blocks, so there will be actual room collision in same part of your level where you have placed imported mesh. Just make sure it fits into each other.

Last edited by Lwmte; 15-12-20 at 09:48.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-20, 10:54   #3457
not again!
Archaeologist

As for an example featuring imported geometry (I find the name quite descriptive actually ) - the team that was working on The Dark Renaissance kindly released the entire project with all work files included (scripts, wads, .prj2 files, etc) and if I remember correctly some levels use imported geometry. Since the .prj2 files are included you can also look at everything directly in TE. Thread with download can be found here:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223168
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-20, 07:02   #3458
Joey79100
Professor

I also have no issue with the name, it clearly implies that it is just geometry and not actual objects that could have collision (unlike meshes).

Also, about exporting from WADTool: this is not possible currently, generally speaking.
The only export feature that exists is for animations, and it's only in a WADTool readable format (it's used for easily exporting/reimporting animations from WAD to WAD, just like TRW for WADMerger).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-20, 09:34   #3459
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Second thing is you can export room mesh (under "Rooms -> Export room" menu), manipulate it in Blender/3dsmax/etc and then reimport it back, align with original room geometry and hide original one, so only reimported one appears. This allows you to use geos in the same manner as meta2tr. Additionally, you can export room mesh, cut it, retexture it and import back without hiding original mesh to do certain "overlay" effects, like caustics, because TE allows to use same animated textures in your reimported meshes as in your level project. This approach is described in tutorials section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by not again! View Post
As for an example featuring imported geometry... Since the .prj2 files are included you can also look at everything directly in TE. Thread with download can be found here:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223168
Thank you both, these replies were exactly what I needed to feel more confident adjusting room geometry in the future! Iíll have to tackle learning Blender but Iíve been told there are lots of YouTube resources for that.
Old 18-12-20, 04:04   #3460
Richard_trle
Explorer

In NGLE Editor you can export triggers which export to script, how can I export triggers with Tomb Editor?
Richard_trle is offline   Reply With Quote