Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 16-08-19, 17:45   #1
Nina Croft

Question Problem with Textures (export from Meta2tr and Meta)

I will try to explain the problem as simply as possible. Here is what I've done:

- so, I have a huge animated object I created from scratch. Due to its size and very complex meshes, and due to the fact that this animation is actually a boss-type enemy, I cannot texture it in Strpix, or maybe I could, but it would take me months to finish. Also, I need some "wrapping" for this type of enemy. Therefore, I am trying to texture this object in Meta.
But, whenever I try to export/import textured object, the final object is not textured properly. I tried to export/import a simple textured cube from Meta to see how it is done with less complex and static objects, but the problem remains the same. Here's what I am doing:

- So, I open a tr4 file in Meta2Tr and extract everything
- Then I open one of these extracted objects in Meta, for instance, Plant1.mqo
- I edit this Plant1.mqo by adding some new meshes and adding textures to these meshes
- I save Plant1.mqo
- I add Plant1.mqo to Meta2Tr.exe and the addition is successful
- I get newlevel.tr4

Then
- I open newlevel.tr4 in Wad Merger

In Animation Editor (Wad Merger), the object has these new meshes and they are textured.

However, these meshes are not textured with WHOLE textures, but it seems like ONE SINGLE PIXEL of the texture tile is stretched across the entire new / retextured mesh.

It looks the same in-game when I add plant1 to a room and output Wad etc.

What am I doing wrong?
Nina Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 19:19   #2
disapearing-boy

Wad files cannot read UV MAP objects unfortunately.

The player should be playing the NewLevel.tr4 file - editing data files is a final step in the LE, as a new dat file will be generated each time you output your level or build a script etc..

I don't think any tool can extract UV mapped objects - you can only inject them and play your new level to the best of my knowledge. Simply rename 'newlevel.tr4' to your level.tr4 name.

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 16-08-19 at 19:20.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-19, 20:50   #3
Joey79100

Actually there are some techniques to get individual textures from an UV-mapped object. The full texture won't be kept, instead individual textures will be used for every face, but the result will be okay that way.
I've never tried any of those techniques (I don't even know how to UV-map), there is some technique I think by teme9 using Blender (if it's someone else please correct me, it's just my memories speaking). I've also found this in the tutorials section: UV Mapping - How to texture objects under Metasequoia

If you use TE, you could use the WAD2 format in the future. The format supports UV-mapping. If you do this, use a WAD2 with only this object, because WadTool is very WIP, and the WAD2 format is currently being reworked a bit (it's a sound system overhaul, and since you want an animated object it might be better to wait until they're done with the new version).
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote