Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 21-10-19, 11:06   #111
dcw123

Ya see.. I've seen most of the films but it was a while ago.

Where does this fit into the timeline and does that mean T3 onwards never happened?
Need to rewatch them
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 11:47   #112
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Ya see.. I've seen most of the films but it was a while ago.

Where does this fit into the timeline and does that mean T3 onwards never happened?
Need to rewatch them
This is a direct sequel to Terminator 2, dealing with the consequences of Sarah's actions, so everything T3 to Genisys is no longer canon.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 12:11   #113
dcw123

Ahhh OK - to be fair the later ones were a mess anyway
Old 21-10-19, 12:28   #114
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
This is a direct sequel to Terminator 2, dealing with the consequences of Sarah's actions, so everything T3 to Genisys is no longer canon.
I'm pretty sure that Salvation and Genisys scrubbed the film(s) prior to it to create yet another timeline. Very curious about what/how this one will do.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 12:40   #115
James_Rutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
I'm pretty sure that Salvation and Genisys scrubbed the film(s) prior to it to create yet another timeline. Very curious about what/how this one will do.
Genisys yes, Salvation no. Salvation was the sequel to T3, which was a sequel to T1 & T2. Basically, T1-4 were Canon, then Genisys was basically a reboot/altered timeline. Now, they're erasing everything after T2 and continuing / concluding Sarah Connor's story. Basically what I've been waiting for since I was a kid. I hope it does well, I had very very big doubts but the first critic reviews are actually very good. People say Genisys had the same at first, but that certainly wasn't critic reviews...

I do feel like something is missing without John, but after the last couple of movies I can live with it. To James Cameron, Terminator must have always been Sarah's story, and that's why he's absent in this.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 21-10-19 at 12:42.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 21:52   #116
jajay119

I agree with him. Terminator to me is always about prevention and that’s why Sarah is so key. She’s the defender. John’s story comes into play when judgement day has come and gone through the training Sarah instils in him and until then he just needs to be kept alive and help prevent it. A Terminator film where John is the main character or the war is shown is boring to me because as a character he’s not all that interesting and those events were established way back in T1.

Turning him into the big bad in Genisys was actually something I liked for three reasons: firstly it did something new with him beyond what was established, secondly it made his character somewhat more interesting and it felt like the entire canon had come full circle and we saw Cybernet adapt from learning and tear away the established events of him being the saviour which we have always know was going to happen.

Last edited by jajay119; 21-10-19 at 21:56.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 07:43   #117
ggctuk

If you think about it, Future John (not T2 kid John) is something of a McGuffin. He's an idea meant to get the plot of the first two films moving. I know some people wanted to see a film about the future war looping back to the first two films, but in all honesty, where are the stakes in that? We know how it's going to end. We know John wins. It becomes boring when you know a character isn't actually in any peril.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
People say Genisys had the same at first, but that certainly wasn't critic reviews...
Glad I'm not the only one to point this out!

Genisys might have garnered some positive early response from audiences but pretty much everybody I know (myself included) feels Genisys fell apart quite quickly upon further viewings.
Old 22-10-19, 14:02   #118
jajay119

I agree. Terminator, to me, has always been very much a journey franchise. The excitement and interest comes from knowing the end game but trying your best to change it and the process of doing that.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-19, 19:07   #119
ggctuk

Saw Dark Fate last night and I really liked it! A vast improvement over the previous three entires and much more tonally in line with the first two.
Old 24-10-19, 19:53   #120
dcw123

TBF I got so confused by the entire thing.. I really need to rewatch the first 2 movies..
Time travel plots are not my strongpoint LOL
Find them hard to follow

I did like Sarah's character though, glad she is back