www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 21-07-19, 23:25   #1
moodydog
Relic Hunter

Default Work attire

Interested to know, what sort of industry do you work in, and what sort of dress code do they have? Does this reflect anything about the work environment?

I work for an IT company with offices across the UK. Pretty much all offices apart from mine require smart casual. The office I work in is pretty relaxed, and simply does not have a dress code, so there is a real mix in how people dress. Despite not having a dress code, I find it interesting how much of the slightly mature generation still choose to dress up for work (when I say mature, I mean senior in position, as well as anyone who has been with the company for over 5 years). Though amusingly, I've noticed a lot of 30 something year old's... who once dressed up for work, have pretty much given in and started to dress informally. I suspect the work culture has change in the past 5 years, and this is the age group that is most open to adapting.

Pretty much ALL of the recent graduates/ the younger generation (which are fast becoming the majority where I work) dress down in jeans, t-shirt, trainers attire. People have even began wearing shorts and flip flops, and a couple of more cautious employees have warned may be crossing the line/ taking the piss, though so far no one has complained.

What are your views on work attire? Should you dress to impress? Does dressing up make a difference to your work mentality? Is it important to set a divider between work and play? Is it an age/ generational thing?

Last edited by moodydog; 21-07-19 at 23:31.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-19, 23:48   #2
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I think people should dress up for work, but it really depends on the industry.

"Smart casual" should be the absolute minimum I feel like, for most industries anyway. If maybe you work in an office environment like yours with a relaxed dress code, or you're a teacher with younger children, then that's the way to go. You can do chinos or even dark-coloured jeans with a button-up shirt, maybe a v-neck sweater over it in colder seasons. Nice shoes but nothing too expensive/overdone.

If you're in a really corporate job then I think there's no excuse, you turn up dressed smart like you work in an office. I do think teachers with older children should also dress up, especially if you are in a country where the kids have to wear uniform. Set the example.

If you work in a more physically laborious job, or even something like retail, then more casual is acceptable. You don't want to ruin nice clothes and you want to be comfortable.

I am someone who really believes in taking pride in your appearance though, and that's even outside of work. Gym clothes are for the gym, around the house, or if you're outside doing some physical activity like running. I would not be caught dead in gym clothes outside of any of those situations. They are not for going shopping in, picking up the kids from school, and certainly not for work. I really hate this "athleisure" trend and wish it would die already. It is so slovenly and lazy, like have some standards, come out the house looking like you haven't just rolled out of bed.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-07-19 at 23:50.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 02:11   #3
trfan16
Archaeologist

I work in the Accounting department at a corporate office. The general attire expectation for men to wear are "business casual" attire - casual/dress pants, polo or button down shirt, and dress shoes on Monday-Thursday. To me, this is appropriate attire for my department since sometimes we have to interact with ownership, regional managers, and other executives. I'm perfectly fine with the business casual and most of the places I worked at previously had the same policy. On Fridays, we are allowed to dress down wearing sneakers and jeans. We are allowed to wear T-Shirts on Fridays also, but the expectation is that the shirt should be "appropriate" for a business setting.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 04:41   #4
Fantasy
Archaeologist

I work in the SSU department (Sterile Services Unit) in a hospital so I wear scrubs so there isn’t a dress code
Old 22-07-19, 04:44   #5
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

I work in software development (in Germany if that makes a difference). We have no dress code. Standard is jeans and t-shirt or sweatshirt, depending on the weather. People who feel fancy may wear a polo shirt or normal shirt. Anything more means you're a job applicant coming in for an interview.

Personally, I would never consider working for a place that requires some explicit dress code. That seems annoying and pointless. I spend so much of my life at work, so I think I should be allowed to dress in a way that makes me feel comfortable. (Obviously things are different for customer-facing positions and the like, but there's a reason why I never considered such jobs.)
Old 22-07-19, 05:03   #6
tomblover
Tomb Raider

I work in a hotel as a front desk person - so there's a dress code there, but it's obviously more for the purpose of letting guests know who they can speak to for service. And for the sake of the brand, I guess. Either way, I don't mind it, because it has a purpose. I mean, it's a uniform, not a dress code, strictly.

Personally, I think "business casual" is an oxymoron - think about it, has anyone ever done business in a casual setting - and "smart casual" is the conceited invention of people who truly don't have anything meaningful to worry about in their lives.

I could never be productive in an environment where my choice of apparel was subject to comparison against some arbitrary ideal - that somehow has something to do with how well I am able to perform a given task. Go **** yourself.

EDIT: Of course, I am referring to office settings here, in case that wasn't clear. Places where the work you do mostly concerns yourself. In schools, or anywhere else interactive like that, I can obviously concede to certain expectations of propriety, for the sake of those around you.

Then again, I do think we need to re-examine what is "proper" to begin with. Like, why are inoffensive piercings or tattoos (I'm not talking chin gauges or teardrops under the eyes here, but like, a tattoo on your forearm or a piercing other than in your lobe) still an issue?

If we're never going to normalize these things - it's like, not only do we still have to be wage slaves, then, but we also have to commit to being expendable cogs in a machine? While nobody's even watching?

I realize the point is to make the company that employs you, money - and not to express yourself, when you're at work, but c'mon. If we've no choice but to commit to their invariably unfair terms anyway, we deserve that small pleasure of self-expression, I think.

Just, in the corporate interest of being relatable, if nothing else. Companies are so self-aware these days - or at least their marketing teams would have you believe that - so I'm sure they could twist it to serve a narrative of empowerment.

Last edited by tomblover; 22-07-19 at 05:26.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 05:30   #7
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

This is going to surprise a lot of people given that I don't talk about my profession outside of the Mature Chat section, but I am a Senior Manager for an OEM (Original Electronics Manufacturing) Firm; Particularly, I am in charge of the R&D (Research and Development) section.

My attire usually consists of Business Casual or Formal Dress suit; Depending upon what setting I am in. If I am in my office or checking over projects within the Main Building itself, I usually stick with Business Casual. If I am meeting up with Clients and/or am on a business trip, I stick with Formal.

Clean Rooms in our Company require you to wear ESD Proof Smocks, Goggles and Shoes so that Eletrostatic discharges don't harm extremely sensitive projects.

Your attire makes a statement about yourself and in the world of business where unfortunately, perceptions and impressions are just about as equally important as results, its good to be presentable.

Last edited by Catapharact; 22-07-19 at 06:38.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 05:37   #8
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

Graphic Designer here. No dresscode, but I wouldn't wear tanktops for example.
Old 22-07-19, 05:58   #9
bollweevil
Hobbyist

I just finished my last day at a fast food restaurant. Uniform was jeans and a company T-shirt haha. Probably not what you’re looking for but thought I’d add.
bollweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-19, 06:29   #10
moodydog
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I work in software development (in Germany if that makes a difference). We have no dress code. Standard is jeans and t-shirt or sweatshirt, depending on the weather. People who feel fancy may wear a polo shirt or normal shirt. Anything more means you're a job applicant coming in for an interview.

Personally, I would never consider working for a place that requires some explicit dress code. That seems annoying and pointless. I spend so much of my life at work, so I think I should be allowed to dress in a way that makes me feel comfortable. (Obviously things are different for customer-facing positions and the like, but there's a reason why I never considered such jobs.)
This is pretty much identical to my work place, and pretty much the standard opinion of the younger generation in this field it seems.
Not to discredit any other field in the corporate office environment, but it seems the more the job requires you to have to really use your brain almost all the time, and solve problems, the less people take issue with what you look like and the more open they are to letting you just feel comfortable, especially as I know software development can be super stressful at times. And also the people in those jobs are generally known to hate sunlight (a partially true myth )
Not saying that other jobs don't require you to use your brain, but software development, r&D, data science and engineering can require quite a complex set of skills, and not just knowing how to code.

Last edited by moodydog; 22-07-19 at 06:30.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote