Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 16-09-19, 20:31   #31
TrustyBow

Still haven't seen this movie but I wouldn't doubt it being better than the reviews made it out to be. The X-Men movies have always had more to prove than Marvel movies for some reason. I've followed the production of X-Men movies for a while and ever since First Class, people have dismissed the movies before footage was even out.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-19, 21:38   #32
Grizzly Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Still haven't seen this movie but I wouldn't doubt it being better than the reviews made it out to be. The X-Men movies have always had more to prove than Marvel movies for some reason. I've followed the production of X-Men movies for a while and ever since First Class, people have dismissed the movies before footage was even out.
Well said; Dark Phoenix had its problems, I'm not going to deny it, but I can't stand all the unnecessary hate towards it...
I remember reading several articles claiming that it would have failed way before the release; I mean, if people read something like this of course they will never go to the cinema to see that movie.

When you'll see Dark Phoenix, try to forget all the negative things that you've heard about it; that's what I did when I went to the theater and after I saw it I found at least half of the criticism pointless.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 16-09-19 at 21:43.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-19, 21:34   #33
Tonyrobinson

I will always love the FoX-Universe but I will admit I am excited to see X-Men under the MCU. I hope we get to see Destiny on screen.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 12:21   #34
DragonSlayer

Without any spoilers was this Phoenix story better or worse than the one in The Last Stand, Jean Grey didn't really do much in that movie just stand there with an angry look on her face.

I haven't seen this movie yet it'll be out on dvd soon enough, I don't get all the hate towards it, nearly every movie these days seems to attract a lot of hate before it even comes out, a perfect example is Terminator Genisys that movie had an unfair amount of hate thrown at it prior to release a lot of people clearly wanted it to fail for some reason.

I ignored all the hate and enjoyed it when I went to see it, although I do think it was stupid that a major part of the plot was given away in the videos and on the poster, I read somewhere that Genisys' director didn't want it revealed but the marketing department overruled him, it's no different than when Homer Simpson spoiled The Empire Strikes Back and some other movie he spoiled by revealing that the code some guy had been tapping in Morse code was his daughters favourite song.

That's why I no longer watch any videos for movies, too many movies are being spoiled by pre release videos.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 20:18   #35
Cochrane
Golden

@DragonSlayer: Better than Last Stand. Nowhere near as good as the original comics. Sansa Stark is definitely the protagonist this time, but it still has the problem where it keeps the story focused entirely on things on earth, and lacks all of the long setup that made the comic so impactful.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 10:19   #36
Admles

I watched it again today, and I enjoyed it.

I think it could have been better if they split it into two movies and explored things better.
Admles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 16:08   #37
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admles View Post
I watched it again today, and I enjoyed it.

I think it could have been better if they split it into two movies and explored things better.
Some movies are better off when split in two, the final Hunger Games and Harry Potter movies would have felt rushed had they tried to pack everything from the final books into one movie.
Old 05-10-19, 11:09   #38
DragonSlayer

Bump

I watched Dark Phoenix last night it's a lot better than The Last Stand and Jean Grey gets a lot more to do in Dark Phoenix than she did in The Last Stand, all she did in The Last Stand stand around doing nothing for almost the entire movie with a scowl on her face.

I read on IMDB that in preparation for her dual role as Jean Gray and Dark Phoenix, Famke Janssen extensively researched dissociative identity disorders and split personalities, to make her performance more convincing.

It didn't really work IMO as Famke Janssen wasn't really convincing as Dark Phoenix, she can play Jean Gray just fine but she wasn't convincing as Dark Phoenix.

I did miss Wolverine being in an X-MEN movie while he obviously can't be in it due to Hugh Jackman retiring the character, they could have included a reference to him like a picture on a wall or a line of dialogue or something.
Old 07-10-19, 14:56   #39
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
I read on IMDB that in preparation for her dual role as Jean Gray and Dark Phoenix, Famke Janssen extensively researched dissociative identity disorders and split personalities, to make her performance more convincing.

It didn't really work IMO as Famke Janssen wasn't really convincing as Dark Phoenix, she can play Jean Gray just fine but she wasn't convincing as Dark Phoenix.
That's pretty impressive. I think if the script would've allowed for her to have more of a presence, we would've seen the amount of effort that she put into the role, but the script was all over the place.

Dark Phoenix seemed to at least have the right idea by giving more screentime to Jean.

I still haven't seen this movie (Waiting for it to come on television), but I was surprised to see that the runtime for it is only 95 minutes. The film was originally going to be split into two parts, so I figured that if they were to readjust it to one movie, they would at least make it longer.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote