Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 05-09-19, 23:00   #3291
Catapharact

Arrow

So Dominos in Japan now sells Tsundere Pizzas:

https://soranews24.com/2019/09/05/do...nd-please-you/

Its basically your regular Pepperoni Pizza with Extra Cheese and a lot of Jalapenos.

Now, I love a bit of kick in my food and I like Spicy Food but this is just ridiculous (and that is pretty much my opinion on Tsunderes as well .)
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 00:20   #3292
Catapharact

Arrow

Alright kiddies, let Uncle Catapharact go get the ball so everyone can play .

I swear I am going to break a new double posting record in this thread. Anyway, I wanted to add another show onto my recommended list for this season:

Cop Craft:

Think of this show as a much MUCH better version of the Netflix cringefest called Bright. The show is pretty much a Noiresque Buddy Cop Drama/Thriller with a Fantasy twist. The setting of the show takes place in a fictional city (*cough*faux New York *cough*) where fantastical creatures and personalities and normal humans live with each other. Obviously there are racial and cultural tensions within the city because of it and there are quite a few parallels drawn towards the current political climate in the U.S.

What I love about this show is how it handles its characters and storytelling. The interaction between our two main protagonists is just a small segment of a bigger picture presented by the cast of the show, who are given their own quirks and personalities to make them all interesting.

The animation unfortunately isn't the greatest given that the show is being done by a small studio but IMO its one of those hidden gems of this season that is worth getting into. Its got a 7/10 rating at myanimelist for that reason alone.
Old 26-10-19, 13:27   #3293
TR-Freak
Unverified

I recently watched Promised Neverland. I didnt expect much (because i don't like little kids as the protagonists)
but it surprised me pretty much.

Plot (Spoilers): It's about children that live in an orphanage and they are waiting to be adopted. That "adoption" however is just them being "harvested" for monsters. You see these monsters only once in the first season (no season 2 yet ) and the three main protagonists are planning to flee.

It's a cat-and-mouse game between the kids and the "mother" of the orphanage.
I wish there were more obscurities though
TR-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 07:26   #3294
TR luver7

Re-watching Fruits Basket after 13 years, completely forgot most of it, except how cute Tohru Honda is lol.

Has anyone seen the reboot? I'll be starting that soon, hopefully it goes more in depth with the characters and their back stories, my friend says it follows the manga a lot more closely than it's predecessor
TR luver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 04:54   #3295
Catapharact

Arrow

Well time to bring this thread back from the dead once again .

The latest Makoto Shinkai movie Weathering With You made its Canadian Theatrical debut in Toronto.

Actually, it made its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival but unfortunately, me and my wife had prior to see other movies during the festival and we missed the chance to see it.

So what better way to spend a Sunday Date Night by attending a theatrical debut of the movie .

Those who may not recognize Makoto Shinkai will most likely instantly recognize his all time Box Office hit movie Your Name. Yep, this man is the director of some of the most visually stunning, emotionally driven, and solid plot driven movies. Some of his previous works like 5 cm per second , and Garden of Words might escape the to-watch list of casual anime fans but for those who did get a chance to see them, I have no doubt it my mind that these movies left a lasting impact on them.

Weathering With You hit all the right marks as a classic Makoto Shinkai movie. I would go as far as saying that it actually amalgamates the plot progression aspects from his not-so-happy movies such as 5 cm per second and combines it with more of his upbeat creations like Your Name. Whereas movies like 5 cm Per Second start their movie out on an upbeat premise, only to shock the audience with the reality of issue at hand and completely circumvent an exception for a happy ending, the characters of Weathing with you are already placed in a questionable predicament right from the get-go and it serves as an important back drop for the plot progression of the movie.

IMO this makes the bitter-sweet ending of the movie all that more rewarding; Even moreso then Your Name. The movie tackles quite a few uncomfortable subjects in Japanese society; Especially when it comes to teens who have grown up with a sense of self -identity in a society where both work culture and social norms demand that individuality takes a back seat. Keep in mind that the movie is geared towards teens and as such, the hard hitting subjects are explored in a very fantastical manner but its certainly one of the hallmarks of this movie.

The visuals are beyond breathtaking, but then this is to be expected from any Makoto Shinkai movie. The melancholic mood of a cloudy rainy day combined with the degradation and focus on ill-maintained buildings in some of the less well-off areas of Tokyo presents a perfect visual representation of the situation our characters in the movie have to deal with, all the while creating an Environment unique to the movie itself. I am still flabbergasted as to why movies such as these have not been nominated for an Oscar when the likes of Toy Story keeps winning best Animated movie year after year. I hope that with the recent best picture win for Parasite at this the Oscars this year changes that.

All in all, a very enjoyable movie with an interesting premise, beautiful visuals and a unique ambiance that highlights why movies made by Makoto Shinkai are worth the watch.

Last edited by Catapharact; 11-02-20 at 09:34.
Old 11-02-20, 19:37   #3296
Cochrane
Golden

I'm going to be honest with you; I liked Your Name a lot more. This movie was still great, but everything great about it, like the animation quality or the soundtrack, was also in Your Name and looked/sounded pretty much the same there. The difference is in the characters: I think they and their connection was way stronger in Your Name because that movie spent much more time establishing and focusing on them.

I'm still very much uncertain about the ending. Well, actually, I know that I don't like it, but I strongly suspect that I dislike it because I don't get what it's really trying to say. I mean, if the choice really is between giving yourself up for a society that won't thank you, or just letting climate change run its course, yeah, I can understand that. But I kept expecting some twist, some loophole to cheat the heavens. Maybe it was wrong of me to expect that, but then seeing it just not happen felt rather weird to me. But as I said, this is, like e.g. 2001, a movie where I feel that the reason I don't like it is because I don't really get it.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 03:40   #3297
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
I'm going to be honest with you; I liked Your Name a lot more. This movie was still great, but everything great about it, like the animation quality or the soundtrack, was also in Your Name and looked/sounded pretty much the same there. The difference is in the characters: I think they and their connection was way stronger in Your Name because that movie spent much more time establishing and focusing on them.
I agree with the fact that the movie tried to incorporate the perspectives of the supporting cast of characters as much as the main cast, I believe this was done deliberately by Makoto Shinkai to present conflict and contrast the feelings and views between our main cast of characters, who are in their pre-teen and teen years and the adult characters; One of whom is a conflict point for the main male character.

I personally think that an appropriate amount of focus on the supporting cast was needed to establish them as more then mere tropes and unfortunately, given the stardard run time of an average Makoto Shinkai movie, this meant taking a bit of focus away from the main cast .

And IMO its not a bad thing. It tells me that Makoto Shinkai is willing to experiment around with his movies rather than sticking with his ongoing formula of focusing the movie entirely on conflict and drama between two characters.

Quote:
I'm still very much uncertain about the ending. Well, actually, I know that I don't like it, but I strongly suspect that I dislike it because I don't get what it's really trying to say. I mean, if the choice really is between giving yourself up for a society that won't thank you, or just letting climate change run its course, yeah, I can understand that. But I kept expecting some twist, some loophole to cheat the heavens. Maybe it was wrong of me to expect that, but then seeing it just not happen felt rather weird to me. But as I said, this is, like e.g. 2001, a movie where I feel that the reason I don't like it is because I don't really get it.
While this message might not be all that new or interesting for a Western Audience, keep in mind that the movie is mainly geared towards a Japanese Audience and the issues currently prevalent in Japan; Particularly, Japanese work culture.

There is a Japanese saying: The nail that sticks out gets hammered. Its a philosophy that has created toxic work environments within Japan; To the point where working oneself to death is not that uncommon and the term Karoshi was coined just for this phenomenon. It should not come as any surprise that Japan has one of the highest rates of youth suicides in the world and its partially related to the issue of lack of support for those suffering from mental health issues. It does not help that mental Health is a bit of a taboo subject in Japanese society.

BTW: I was actually going to recommend a new Anime series for you .

Science Fell in Love so I tried to prove it.

The series over-exaggerates the social anxiety of the main characters of the show but IMO, that is part of its charm. The series does a good job explaining the scientific method, statistical biases and theories. I know the romance angle of the show might be kind of cheesy but its not unbearably so.

Last edited by Catapharact; 12-02-20 at 03:48.
Old 09-04-20, 20:58   #3298
Blue_light

Has anyone here read "Pet shop of horrors"?

I decided to un-lazy myself, and get back into reading it, and I forgot how much I really loved it. If it gets reprinted somehow, I'll definitely get it.

There's a bit of everything. Some stories (there isn't exactly a main plot, it's more like a collection of episodes) are disturbing, but others can also be bittersweet, tragic, and perhaps even happy in some occasions (?). I found myself tear up with quite a few stories.

The pets, and how they are presented remind me occasionally of Calvin & Hobbes, because it confuses me as to what to think is real, and what is fantasy. XuX
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-20, 13:20   #3299
ggctuk

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is cursed.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ncerns/.158693

But, hey: at least we know what the English subtitle is now: Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon A Time.

Last edited by ggctuk; 17-04-20 at 13:23.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-20, 22:42   #3300
Blue_light

New poster, and trailer for the movie "Sailor Moon Eternal"

Weird timing, too. Yesterday I started re-reading the first arc of the manga.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote