Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 12-11-19, 11:29   #141
ggctuk

Your idea is pretty good (the 'Terminator' sounds a lot like the T2 Trilogy books' I-950), but I guarantee self-appointed 'die-hards' would give it as much venom as anything since T2.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-19, 17:07   #142
Catapharact

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
Your idea is pretty good (the 'Terminator' sounds a lot like the T2 Trilogy books' I-950), but I guarantee self-appointed 'die-hards' would give it as much venom as anything since T2.
Why am I not surprised that a great creative idea like almost completely organic Terminator has already been thought of . And I was thinking that this scenario could very well lead to two movies. The first movie would be about how one of the shock trooper squad takes the survivors back to friendly territory. The second movie would be about the rest of the platoon holding the captured facility against a Skynet onslaught until backup can arrive. Both of them will have completely new cast of characters which IMO will keep both movies fresh.

But unfortunately, all of this is just wishful thinking given that after Dark Fate, the Terminator franchise is pretty much dead.
Catapharact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 08:20   #143
CroftManiac05

Ok so I watched the film yesterday. The first part was the best, and I was anticipating that John Connor's death would have some kind of impact later. While it's true that it was a fuel for Sarah to hunt down terminators, reading Tim Miller's response that John's death happened so that they could have a new leader of the resistance is just cheap. I'm all for main protagonists dying, but if you are going to do that, at least provide a good reason for it.

Another thing that irritated me was that this film would be better if there was no Arnold in it. The way he was introduced ( he felt consience after killing John by protecting another family? ) was just stupid. He contributed nothing to the film apart from the typical nostalgia.

On the bright side, the CGI and special effects are pretty good and the fight scenes are amazing.

Overall it is an OK film , I think it deserves its 70% on rotten tomatoes.
If the story was more coherent and well thought, it would score even higher. Also, I don't get why people say "go woke go broke". Why? Because we have Dani instead of John? His death was wasted, sure, but why are people mad that a woman is a leader of the resistance? I will probably watch the film again, just to catch any detail I missed.
CroftManiac05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 08:53   #144
ggctuk

I heard rumours about certain scenes/storyboards shown in test screenings in which John was alive somehow and met up with Sarah at the end to help train Dani, which makes me wonder if the route they were considering going was to have (Skynet) Future John come back in time himself, thus 'averting' his death in some sense. I guess we'll never know in any case since the franchise has been put on ice. There's just too much brand damage thanks to past entries. I expect the new video game to fail too, TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftManiac05 View Post
If the story was more coherent and well thought, it would score even higher. Also, I don't get why people say "go woke go broke". Why? Because we have Dani instead of John? His death was wasted, sure, but why are people mad that a woman is a leader of the resistance? I will probably watch the film again, just to catch any detail I missed.
It's likely because Tim Miller said a certain sect was going to hate the film because it had female leads, and in true Modern Day Internet fashion they decided to prove him right by claiming it was a 'woke film' because of that.

Nowhere is it shoved in our faces that 'haha girls rule boys drool' or any similar message. There's one line, one line, where people could take it the wrong way (the "you're the future, not some man you give birth to" line) but that particular line is referential to what Sarah told them earlier in the film and the fact that neither of them have any idea who John is.

Last edited by ggctuk; 14-11-19 at 08:58.
Old 14-11-19, 09:20   #145
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
There's one line, one line, where people could take it the wrong way (the "you're the future, not some man you give birth to" line) but that particular line is referential to what Sarah told them earlier in the film and the fact that neither of them have any idea who John is.
I don't even remember that line lol. The meaning behind it was that Dani was going to be the leader, not that she would give birth to yet another leader like Sarah. I'm glad Dani wasn't a rehash of Sarah Connor because that would be cheesy as hell.
CroftManiac05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 19:37   #146
ggctuk

Two years ago, I came up with my own outline, prior to the announcement of Dark Fate even happening. Here's what I said at the time:

Quote:
-The film would be set in 2029, 34 years after the events of Terminator 2. Judgment Day never happened. No nuclear war happened.
-John Connor would serve for a few tours in the US military before running for Senator of California (as he comes from Los Angeles).
-Technology has evolved to the point where it almost runs our lives for us.
-We would be introduced to Sergeant Kyle Reese, who never knew the hunger or terror of the future war he spoke of in the first film.
-Cyberdyne Systems Corporation would be reorganized into Skynet Corporation, and would work from Colorado as opposed to Los Angeles, though it would also have an office working on projects such as the Time Displacement and Mimetic Polyalloy projects in Los Angeles.
-Skynet Corp. supplies military "Hunter Killer" drones and has worked on a replacement for human soldiers on the battlefield, referred to as the "Terminator" series. Their recent unit, the Terminator 800 Series, replaces the rubber-skinned 600 Series on the battlefield, with a hardened combat chassis and a flesh outer sheath based on DNA from ex-military donors. One of these is the famous 'Model 101' but there are many other models visible.
-Meanwhile, Skynet is also developing three other projects: a test-bed AI (haven't developed the idea yet, though I thought that maybe it could be something a bit mundane - perhaps as something designed simply to ensure the facility runs smoothly), a Time Displacement Machine, and with the help of a scientist (played by Robert Patrick), a non-poisonous mimetic polyalloy that can replace lost limbs and react to thought.
-Skynet puts the AI online within its company but does not anticipate its ability to learn. When the AI starts questioning executives about the past of humanity, Skynet's board of directors order the plug pulled on the AI in a panic. The AI responds by uploading itself from Skynet's mainframe into the Government's computers via the Internet. Believing humans to be a threat, the AI, dubbing itself 'Skynet' after its creators, siezes control of all utilities and shuts them down - this includes satelites, phone lines, water lines, gas lines and electricity. Effectively, Skynet plunges humanity into the Dark Ages. It also, of course, seizes control of its namesake's entire computer mainframe, including those that control the Terminator and Hunter Killer lines.
-Knowing that what is happening is a new version of what he had been warned about all his life, John takes a stand after Skynet sends Terminators to kill the world leaders.
-Realising the threat, Skynet sends a T-800, Model 101 to kill John. John manages to disable the T-800, but rather than destroy it as suggested by Kyle, John instead endeavors to reprogram it.
-Realising it is up against a formidable adversary, Skynet delcares war against humanity. Contrary to the 'old' Judgment Day scenario, it does not launch any nuclear missiles - it knows that at this point, humanity cannot survive for long without the technology Skynet has taken control of.
-John organizes a 'Resistance' movement against Skynet and they plan an attack against Skynet's mainframe. Kyle Reese joins (John gives him a pciture of Sarah at the time).
-John reactivates the T-800 sent to kill him.
-John discovers through a secondary facility in Los Angeles that Skynet Corp. has developed a time machine and resolves to attack that site, predicting what will happen next.
-Splitting into two teams, the Resistance attacks both the Colorado and Los Angeles Skynet Corp. buildings. The Colorado Division manages to destroy the Skynet central core, effectively destabilising Skynet's ability to fight and rendering all of its Terminators and Hunter Killers inoperative.
-In response, Skynet skims through the Internet archives, frantically searching for any clue as to how it can use its last-perceived weapon, the Time Displacement Equipment, to destroy John Connor and prevent its own destruction. It comes across fragmentary records of John's mother, Sarah, from her days at Pescadero, and resolves to send a Terminator back to Los Angeles, 1984, to kill Sarah.
-John and Kyle's team arrives too late to stop Skynet from sending the T-800 back through time. Kyle volunteers to save Sarah. John gives Kyle the 'message' to give to Sarah. When Kyle asks what else he should tell Sarah, John tells him: 'There was a nuclear war'.
-Kyle is sent back through time, though the Resistance team is attacked by a mimetic polyalloy figure that takes the form of a younger version of the scientist that helped to create it.
-Dubbed the T-1000, Skynet orders it back through time to 1995. The T-1000 hesistates as though pondering why it should listen to Skynet (Skynet had been having a lot of trouble brining the T-1000 to heel).
-In response, John sends the T-800 back through time with orders to protect his younger self.
-The film would end at the exact point where the first one begins, with the arrival of the T-800 in 1984 Los Angeles.
Bearing in mind I wrote this two years ago I would like to revise that so the ending isn't as 'set in stone' as it is here (which is my big gripe with those who wanted a Future War film based entirely on what we saw in the first two films), and I would like to introduce some other characters to it so it's not focused on John and Kyle, so... maybe in the future I would do that.

Last edited by ggctuk; 14-11-19 at 19:40.
Old 26-11-19, 15:46   #147
killchan

well I consider myself a Terminator fan, the kind of fan who's danm sure of being capable of coming up with a decent sequel to T2 (or I should say a better T3)... but I haven't seen Dark Fate yet, and I'm not sure I care to be honest.
Like, if the rumors are true, I'm not even sad or anything.

Reason being, well, in the meantime I picked up the unfinished Tv Series, Sarah Connor Chronicles, and man lemme tell ya , this thing is a ****ing atrocity BUT! it's unpredictable to an extent.

I mean, sure they abuse time-travel and the same 3 basic Terminator related concepts way too many times, but there's some personality here and each scenario is explored in some interesting way... too bad it's too afraid of contradicting T3 (still in production at the time) and at some point it was even very close to turning into a school drama where John and Cu-T (instead of "cutie" ahaha get it? Cu-T, Cutie .. ok I'm done ) were supposed to do solve school murder misteries or something, the kind of stuff we've seen in Persona 5 so to speak. Oh and there's also some weird romance thing going on, but ehi it was unusual and unpredictable if anything.

And this brings me to my main point: because I hate myself or maybe I just don't care anymore, I go watch an in-depth review of Dark Fate and (SPOILER, kind of) even though said review touches ever single plot point of the movie, I feel like nothing was spoiled. Why? Because I've already seen this story 4 times already: T1, T2, T3, Genesys, each time with 2 tiny different things: the one to protect, and the abilities of the time travelers involved and seriously who thought this was a good idea?

I hope it has good enough action if anything, but damn, this is sad
Now I understand why people read fanfictions.

Last edited by killchan; 26-11-19 at 15:57.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 16:15   #148
michaeldt

I remember getting a few episodes getting into that show and remembering it was actually quite good for a movie-based TV series. I don't have any intention of trying to watch it again though, knowing that it was cancelled on a cliffhanger.
michaeldt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-19, 19:01   #149
Zelda master

I still need to watch season 2 of the series, I quite liked the first one.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-19, 00:08   #150
killchan

The thing about Sarah Connor Chronicles is that while it can be a pleasant show to watch, the plot is pretty janky.

More often than not, you'll find yourself questioning every single thing they do.
One more simple word or action could have prevented 80% of the problems and misunderstandings. At least that's what happened to me, starting with Cameron being a master level pickup artist for the first few scenes of the pilot episode, only to turn into a socially inept a few minutes later and for the rest of the series. And in general, these guys suck at interrogating people, which shouldn't be possible with Ms. Lie Detector at their disposal, and I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers.

A nice watch but if you dig a little deeper it's a fail fest.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote