Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 05-06-10, 13:46   #1
silviu_raider

Default General Mariah Carey Thread

Born March 27, 1970, an American singer-songwriter, record producer and actress. Born and raised on Long Island, New York, Carey came to prominence after releasing her self-titled debut studio album Mariah Carey in 1990; it went multiplatinum and spawned four consecutive number one singles on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart. Under the guidance of Columbia Records executive and later husband Tommy Mottola, she continued booking success with followup albums Emotions (1991), Music Box (1993), and Merry Christmas (1994), Carey was established as Columbia's highest-selling act. Daydream (1995) made music history when its second single "One Sweet Day", a duet with Boyz II Men, spent a record sixteen weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100, and remains the longest-running number-one song in U.S. chart history. During the recording of the album, Carey began to deviate from her R&B and pop beginnings and slowly traversed into hip hop. This musical change became evident with the release of Butterfly (1997), at which time Carey had separated from Mottola.

Carey left Columbia in 2000, and signed a $100 million recording contract with Virgin Records. Before the release of her film Glitter (2001), she suffered a physical and emotional breakdown and was hospitalized for severe exhaustion. Following the film's poor reception, she was bought out of her recording contract for $50 million, which led to a decline in her career. She signed a multimillion dollar contract deal with Island Records in 2002, and after an unsuccessful period, returned to the top of music charts with The Emancipation of Mimi (2005). Its second single "We Belong Together" became her most successful single of the 2000s, and was later named "Song of the Decade" by Billboard. Carey once again ventured into film with a well-received supporting role in Precious (2009); she was awarded the "Breakthrough Performance Award" at the Palm Springs International Film Festival, and Black Reel and NAACP Image Award nominations.

Throughout her career, Carey has sold more than 200 million records worldwide, making her one of the best-selling music artists of all time. In 1998, she was honored as the world's best-selling recording artist of the 1990s at the World Music Awards. Carey was also named the best-selling female artist of the millennium in 2000. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, she is the third-best-selling female artist in the United States, with 63.5 million certified albums. With the release of "Touch My Body" (2008), Carey gained her 18th number-one single in the United States, more than any other solo artist. In 2012, Carey was ranked second on VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Women in Music". Aside from her commercial accomplishments, Carey has won five Grammy Awards, 19 World Music Awards, 11 American Music Awards, and 31 Billboard Music Awards. Referred to as the "songbird supreme" by the Guinness World Records, she is famed for her five-octave vocal range, power, melismatic style and signature use of the whistle register.

Let's take a look at just some of Mariah's many records over the course of her unparalleled career:

• Mariah has sold over 200 million albums, records, and singles worldwide.

• Mariah had four consecutive #1 singles from a debut album, unprecedented for a female artist.

• Mariah's first five singles went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the only artist in Billboard history to achieve this feat.

• Mariah's first ten singles went to #1 on the CHR/Pop chart (now known as the Mainstream Top 40 or Pop 100 Airplay chart), making her the only artist in music history to achieve this feat.

• Mariah was the first female artist to have a single debut at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and the only artist in Billboard history to have three singles debut at #1.

• Mariah has the longest running #1 single on the Billboard Hot 100 ("One Sweet Day") in Billboard history.

• Mariah has 18 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100, more than any active artist in Billboard history.

• Mariah has 14 #1s on the single sales and digital single sales chart, more than any active artist in Billboard history.

• Mariah had the longest running #1 single in both the 1990s and 2000s, making her the only artist in Billboard history to achieve this feat.

• Mariah is the top selling female artist in the US in the Soundscan era (since 1991)

• Mariah has the best selling album by a non-Japanese artist of all time in Japan with #1's and is by far the top selling non-Japanese female artist of all time in the country.

• Mariah has more singles certified at least platinum than any other female artist in music history.

Last edited by silviu_raider; 23-11-14 at 23:28. Reason: Update...
silviu_raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 13:51   #2
Mikky

My brother has all her albums.

She's good, but she's kinda lost her touch. E=MC2 was good, but her latest one was kinda disappointing. Roll on, 19th album!
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 13:57   #3
silviu_raider

I need to talk with your brother!!!
I do agree that Memoirs wasn't outstanding but it has it's gems, such as "Inseparable", "It's A Wrap", "H.A.T.E.U.", "I Want To Know What Love Is"...
I can't wait for the new studio album, plus she's recording another Christmas album!
Old 05-06-10, 13:57   #4
marla_biggs

Beautiful thread! [IMG]http://i44.************/2d1nuyq.gif[/IMG]
marla_biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 13:59   #5
silviu_raider

Thank you!
I really love the "opening picture".
Old 05-06-10, 14:03   #6
marla_biggs

Me too! Very classy!
marla_biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 14:05   #7
silviu_raider

Have you heard that she's working on another Christmas album?
Old 05-06-10, 14:08   #8
Kelly Craftman

My most favourite song of her's is the cover of 'I want to know what love it'
Kelly Craftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-10, 14:10   #9
silviu_raider

Kelly, that's one of the gems from Memoirs.
It showcases her vocal range and style, even though I'd have loved the full version.
Old 05-06-10, 14:29   #10
lara is mine

I love mariah and i cant wait to hear the new christmas album! I read that she is working with a live band and that she is re-recording "All I Want For Christmas is You". She is also working with Jermaine Dupri (Always Be My Baby, We Belong Together) on her new album. Randy Jackson is also involved with the record. I hope she comes out with a smash. She needs it!
lara is mine is offline   Reply With Quote