Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 22-04-17, 20:18   #1
ggctuk

Default X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)

The next X-Men film is officially titled "X-Men: Dark Phoenix" and will release next November.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-dark-pho...tle-supernova/
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 20:33   #2
Cochrane
Golden

I'm honestly more excited about the New Mutants movie, especially if they really do Demon Bear (and do it justice). It's a great, fresh cast of characters in some of the very best, most stylised and most interesting art ever used in anything X-Men related. I'm not sure it really fits that well in a live-action movie, but it is a great jumping-off point, and the limited cast and scope means that it should be able to avoid the classic X-Men problem where famous characters appear briefly, then leave without impacting the plot at all.

I'm less sure about Dark Phoenix. They tried to do that storyline before, in X-3, and it sucked. They tried to establish Sophie Turner as Jean Grey, but she ended up doing exactly the same maddeningly frustrating thing as in Game of Thrones: She always looks like she's about to do something interesting, but then doesn't (unless Professor X tells her to). I guess they could make a good Dark Phoenix story, but will they actually dare to go that far? Will they have her eat a planet? And if not, then what's the point?

Between Deadpool, Logan and the amazing Legion TV show (damn, I've fallen behind there), the X-Men are currently the weird, innovative genre-defying and really interesting brand of the superhero shared universes (whereas Marvel is the fun one and DC is the bad one). Between New Mutants and Dark Phoenix, and I guess another Deadpool, they certainly have the material lined up to really continue this trend. These are properties that would be amazing with the right vision and art style, something completely different from normal superhero comics.

But I think this special status of the X-Men as the great and interesting movie universe right now came about purely by accident (Apocalypse certainly didn't seem like anyone had any damn plan for this thing). So I think it's just as likely that this will disappear again and the new movies will be mediocre crap. And both Demon Bear and Dark Phoenix can be really, really bad if they're not told well.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. For now I'm cautiously optimistic.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 21:53   #3
HRHCroft

I found 'Apocalypse' to be incredibly sub-par, and Sophie Turner's performance was a low point so I'm not at all excited for this one, especially as she'll be the central character of the story.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-19, 13:30   #4
Tonyrobinson

I think it's time to bump this. I'll be seeing the film on Tuesday and am pretty excited I can't wait for the X-Men to join the MCU but these films have always been my favourite superhero movies and although there have been some mediocre blips along the way I truly think there hasn't been a terribly bad entry to the series. Currently listening to the old John Ottman scores reliving the nostalgia before the films release I can't wait to hear what Hans Zimmer composes.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 20:47   #5
Grizzly Bear

https://youtu.be/_b3YC65qhnI

This is amazing, this is what Fox's X-Men have and what MCU hasn't.

I know that maybe with MCU and its comedy formula X-Men will make tons of money, but I will always miss this original series.

I can't wait for Dark Phoenix, I'm sure it will be a great finale to this series; I'm just sad that not many people seem interested in it, it looks like the general public only watches Avengers nowadays. Well, worse for them because they don't know what they're missing.

All I know is that I want to give MCU a chance but I hope they won't ruin this franchise by making Magneto's and Charles' speeches full of jokes...
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 09:49   #6
Tonyrobinson

I feel like with the right direction the MCU could deliver something tonally pleasing. You have the naturally light and comedic characters from the comics like Nightcrawler and Collussus and then the more dark serious ones like Magneto.

I hope they find a good blend the Voromir storyline from infinity War and Endgame got pretty dark and Civil War had a lot of serious moments to it but X-Men is more more brooding and dark in general from the source material alone. I hope they don't shy away from the political side of things either and explore some of the proper origins from the characters most of which are unpleasant.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 02-06-19 at 09:50.
Old 09-06-19, 05:59   #7
Admles

I saw it today, it wasn't bad, it just seems like something was missing, but overall I enjoyed it.
Admles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 12:11   #8
michaeldt

I haven't seen this yet, but going to soon.

I didnt expect this to be good, but I didn't expect this to be **** upon like it has been!
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 12:43   #9
johnanonymouz

my thoughts containing very light SPOILERS below

I really did not enjoy this movie. I'm so tired of the X-Men movies being about Charles and Erik with everyone else sidelined. The only good thing about the movie was Sophie Turner's performance which was incredible but not enough to save the movie. The movie called Dark Phoenix was all about Charles and Erik with Jean Grey in the middle..............like, did you even learn anything from The Last Stand? Can't wait for the X-Men to come to the MCU. It's really needed!

Last edited by johnanonymouz; 09-06-19 at 12:44.
johnanonymouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-19, 13:18   #10
Tonyrobinson

The action and soundtrack were great, the effects looked nice but the X-Men got short changed and everything still revolved around Raven. The story was awful, it's still heaps better for me than Origins and Last Stand though.