Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 09-09-19, 23:06   #21
Teone

Thank you croftyboy! It's clear enough! Among sequel, prequel, spin-off, crossovers, one can get crazy with the plot.

Anyway, I liked it. I agree with Cat Woman who ^ said it's entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Bear View Post
Now I'm curious, what did you think when Vuk said that, that the force was attracted to Jean because she is phisically beautiful ?
I'm attracted from Famke Janssen more than Sophie Turner
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 06:32   #22
ggctuk

The trouble is it doesn't really connect to the 'good future' seen at the end of DofP. Obviously we don't see the status of Magneto's Brotherhood, but everyone is at the school and perfectly hunky-dory with each other.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 06:55   #23
Grizzly Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teone View Post
I'm attracted from Famke Janssen more than Sophie Turner
Oh, I said that just to defend the movie from all the plot holes people pretending to find everywhere even when there were not any plot holes; people just wanted this movie to be bad so they pretended to find mistakes/bad acting/plot holes everywhere
Don't get me wrong, the movie is not perfect (I just said I really liked it, not that the movie is objectively perfect) but it's not as bad as everyone says...

However yes you're right, they're both beautiful women

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
The trouble is it doesn't really connect to the 'good future' seen at the end of DofP. Obviously we don't see the status of Magneto's Brotherhood, but everyone is at the school and perfectly hunky-dory with each other.
You might be right, because Dark Phoenix doesn't really connect to that, but in that "future" everyone seems to be way older than they are in Dark Phoenix so it's not impossible that Charles would return to the school once he gets really old (after all, that's his house...), Hank could still be the school head (in Days of future past there's no mention of who has that role) and Jean could have returned to earth (after all, she is not really dead at the end of Dark Phoenix, but it's pretty clear that she doesn't want to return to protect people from her huge power; maybe that could change, we really can't know).
About wolverine, we've seen him in Apocalypse getting his adamantium claws so it's possible that he met the school and the X-Men sometimes after Dark Phoenix (alongside Rogue, too).

So yes, it doesn't "directly connect" but it doesn't contradict itself either, everything shown could happen.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 10-09-19 at 06:57.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 17:04   #24
biscuits

Why can't they get the Dark Phoenix story right?
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 17:13   #25
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Why can't they get the Dark Phoenix story right?
I'd argue that it is incredibly hard to do well. It starts out as this really slow burn that is best suited to a TV show, before suddenly turning into a giant space opera that is absolutely movie sized, and requires the studio to recognise that X-Men can and has to be Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

Most other stories are much more focused and much easier to deal with: Days of Future Past, Old Man Logan, Demon Bear, those are all things with clear beginnings, clear ends, and they stay true to their settings the entire time. Dark Phoenix with its huge shifts is something that really fits best in comics.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-19, 18:52   #26
Teone

^ @Cochrane, biscuits question was rhetorical. He meant that he is more intelligent than they are. Whoever 'they' are.
Old 10-09-19, 19:53   #27
biscuits

Quote:
^ @Cochrane, biscuits question was rhetorical. He meant that he is more intelligent than they are. Whoever 'they' are.
No it wasn't
It was a genuine question. As someone who's read through the Dark Phoenix story, I'm disappointed the movie writers can't get it right.
Old 10-09-19, 20:14   #28
Teone

^ Ah! You were talking about the writers.
I apologize. Sometimes I'm too suspicious. My fault.
Old 10-09-19, 20:18   #29
biscuits

Quote:
^ Ah! You were talking about the writers.
I apologize. Sometimes I'm too suspicious. My fault.
It's fine

Quote:
I'd argue that it is incredibly hard to do well. It starts out as this really slow burn that is best suited to a TV show, before suddenly turning into a giant space opera that is absolutely movie sized, and requires the studio to recognise that X-Men can and has to be Guardians of the Galaxy as well.

Most other stories are much more focused and much easier to deal with: Days of Future Past, Old Man Logan, Demon Bear, those are all things with clear beginnings, clear ends, and they stay true to their settings the entire time. Dark Phoenix with its huge shifts is something that really fits best in comics.
A valid point. Cramming the story into just one movie won't cut it. Phoenix Saga needs an MCU type of buildup for it to really work in a movie format.
Old 16-09-19, 17:23   #30
Grizzly Bear

Actor Kevin Smith defended Dark Phoenix: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...-dark-phoenix/

He is right, the movie wasn't exceptional, especially the last part (it's the reshoots' fault I guess, and we can thank Marvel for that, I still don't get why Dark Phoenix had to change its ending while Captain Marvel filmed after Dark Phoenix, that sounds unfair) but it wasn't as bad as everyone says.

The movie should have kept its original ending and be released on November 2018 as planned.
Instead, Marvel made them reshoot the whole third act because it would have been similar to their movie which was filmed 7 months after Dark Phoenix and what's more they made them release it right after their big Avengers movie finale.
Dark Phoenix was just doomed to fail and at this point I can't help but feel that it's part of their strategy: now everyone is excited for the reboot of the xmen franchise by Marvel and just a minority would feel nostalgia towards the old cast and the original series.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 16-09-19 at 17:32.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote