Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 21-11-19, 01:30   #1
Nawebu

Default TR4 and TR5 CDs on Windows 10

Hi Folks! I've been playing TR for many years, and I still own all the original CDs. I can get 1-3 and the gold levels to install by installing them in Safe mode, but I can't get TR4 or TR5 to run correctly on Windows 10. TR4 doesn't even run at all (only the setup screen, and it is missing all the texture choices). TR5 will run but the FMVs are at 640x480 and it crashes when I use the Esc key. I tried the trupdate but it hasn't helped, and neither does it help to use compatibility modes. In fact, trupdate renders all my CD versions "unstartable."

I really don't want to have to use the Steam and GOG versions as the old CD versions have all the sound and FMVs, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help, and it is greatly appreciated!
Nawebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-19, 21:28   #2
Joey79100

For TR5 I remember having to play in windowed mode or without FMVs in order to have it playing correctly, because they crashed the game. But it was when I was still using W8 and early versions of W10.

For TR4, have you tried the Windows Vista patch (aka the multipatcher)? You have to run the patcher in compatibility mode (because it tries to check if you're using Vista and refuses to run otherwise...), but the games themselves don't have to be run with any compatibility mode after that I think.
https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr4/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawebu View Post
I really don't want to have to use the Steam and GOG versions as the old CD versions have all the sound and FMVs, etc.
What do you mean? Don't these versions have them as well?
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-19, 02:51   #3
Nawebu

Thanks for your reply! Yup, through trial and error I got them both to run. I have TR5 running great, but TR4 is windowed and the FMVs run in little 640x480 windows, but that's not too bad.

I ended up using dgVoodoo 2. If you simply place 4 files in the game folder, it works. I have to use Windows 98 compatibility mode Reduced Color mode.

I have TR5 running full screen at 2560x1440 this way.

Since they're unpatched, I might run into trouble later during game play.

I'm not sure actually as to whether the GOG and Steam versions have all the FMVs and music, etc., but in the past I'd heard they have problems.

Last edited by Nawebu; 23-11-19 at 02:54.
Nawebu is offline   Reply With Quote