Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 23-11-18, 13:35   #11
Saratova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
But... Why? It seems pretty much like a CG version of the animated original...
I think it'd be reasonable to expect future live action/CG remakes of all their animated features the way things are headed.

The originals will still stand on their own. In a way I suppose it's not entirely dissimilar to adaptations of plays that change for new audiences.

As a related side note I just remembered that it was Disney who lobbied to have the period of copyright extended in the early 20th century in order to retain rights to the early Micky Mouse animations so they wouldn't fall into public domain after a time, the length of which only grew and became extended as the years went on—again coming from Disney's efforts. Perhaps such remakes serve two purposes, in also becoming new pieces of work which extend the longevity of copyright for the IP (so one new version is always current, if this remake trend continues). INAL so idk if this is relevant to that much though.

Last edited by Saratova; 23-11-18 at 13:45.
Saratova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-18, 14:19   #12
Zelda master

Steamboat Willie will fall into the public domain (it technically already is, but Disney does whatever it can to deny that) in four years (2023) iirc. Unless Disney will lobby again for yet another copyright extention, something they've already done succesfully three or four times for the short, it'll finally fall into the public domain. Making a new version will not prevent the original from falling into it. The trademark, as long as still properly used and maintained, will not.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-18, 18:37   #13
Cochrane
Golden

I'm unsure about this. On the one hand, it's that thing I loved, with better graphics! On the other hand, it's just that thing I already loved with better graphics. I think I would have preferred for them to do something more abstract like the Broadway Musical, instead of this literal remake.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 18:40   #14
TRfan23
Golden

This will also need to be done in CGI to.

TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 19:44   #15
Dustie

^ LOOOOOL

TBH this looks meh... Like 1,5 hour showcase of what world's most talented and skilled 3D animators can with with the world's most expensive 3D rendering stations today... The Jungle Book had the merit of composing live-action human performance and backgrounds with the 3D-animated animals, and this is just all (or almost all) in 3D. For some reason in a time when cinema can show literally everything and more, I guess it's hard for me to be impressed with anything. I suppose this is The Lion King for the new generation which finds traditional 2D animation too bad too watch.

Last edited by Dustie; 24-11-18 at 19:46.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 19:52   #16
Yeauxleaux

I'd rather it be a shot-for-shot remake, than a reboot that has to inject shoehorned political themes into it like most things do these days. Sitting with my tea waiting for some contrived controversy to arise though...

[img]*******************/yqt1yWP/A-Olenna.gif[/img]

Should be a good watch, I'm looking forward to it.

Also did anyone else ever find the up-close shots of Rafiki using his hands to do very human-like things a bit uncanny valley? It used to creep me out a little as a kid and I'm re-living it now in 3D haha.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 24-11-18 at 19:58.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-18, 22:48   #17
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I'd rather it be a shot-for-shot remake, than a reboot that has to inject shoehorned political themes into it like most things do these days.
Did you like... Not watch the original? Or did you watch it and somehow miss the actual Nazi hyenas?
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 00:15   #18
Tombraider95

I was never fussed with the original Lion King. I'm sure I watched it as a kid, but I was more into other Disney films. I was never really into animated animal films.

This is just the same but with prettier graphics. It's not a bad thing but doesn't make me want to watch it either. I'm more excited to see proper live action remakes like Mulan (although with the changes to the film like no songs, I won't be watching that either).
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 00:45   #19
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
I was never fussed with the original Lion King. I'm sure I watched it as a kid, but I was more into other Disney films. I was never really into animated animal films.

This is just the same but with prettier graphics. It's not a bad thing but doesn't make me want to watch it either. I'm more excited to see proper live action remakes like Mulan (although with the changes to the film like no songs, I won't be watching that either).
So if I follow you, you are not interested by The Lion King because it's a copy and paste but you are not interested in Mulan because they are no songs (even if it's not sure) like in the original ?

By the way we know Gong Li will be on the movie and also Jet Li.

Last edited by Ellioft; 25-11-18 at 00:47.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-18, 10:57   #20
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
So if I follow you, you are not interested by The Lion King because it's a copy and paste but you are not interested in Mulan because they are no songs (even if it's not sure) like in the original ?

By the way we know Gong Li will be on the movie and also Jet Li.
Yup!
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote