Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 06-01-19, 12:48   #1
DragonSlayer

Default Recommend an unheard of movie

The purpose of this thread is to let people know about a movie that has received very little or no attention from the press/media and are unfortunately almost unheard of, for every 10 movies that are nothing but explosions for 3 hours (I'm looking at you Michael Bay) there are always one or more movies which go unnoticed and fall through the cracks.

Here are a few I think some on here might like.

I, Daniel Blake.

Long story short a guy has a heart attack and has to contend with excessive government bureaucracy that says he is fit for work despite his cardiologist saying otherwise.

The main enemy in the movie is government bureaucracy, red tape and the rigid adherence to rules and the unwillingness of the government employees to help people get what they are entitled to.

One scene shows government employees being more interested in refusing to help a character because she was late for her appointment through no fault of her own because the bus she was on dropped her off several streets away from where she was supposed to be and she had to walk the rest of the way with her two children, the government employees were less interested in helping her and more interested in following the rules than anything else and they seemed hell bent on punishing her for being a little bit late, a little bit of flexibility wouldn't have killed them.

The bureaucracy isn't limited to the people seeking what they are entitled to,in one scene a government employee is called into her supervisors office and lectured for taking the time to help someone who isn't great at using computers, even though we don't see the entire scene where she's being lectured as the camera stays with the main character it's obvious that did being lectured for actually helping someone instead of sticking to the rules.

Bureaucracy is at times illogical and mostly stupid, a few years ago I heard a story about someone who asked if they could use a pen, they were told that they would have to fill out a form asking if they could use a pen, to fill out the form they had to use a pen it would have been quicker to use the pen for what they originally intended to use it for instead of having to fill out a form asking if they could use a pen.

Another example of red tape was when someone couldn't remember their email account password, the link for a password reset was sent to the email account that the person couldn't access because they couldn't remember their password.

Bureaucracy, red tape and rigid adherence to the rules instead of helping people and showing them compassion are the main enemies of this movie where the main characters are nothing more than a number on a screen to the government employees.

Maggie starring Abigail Breslin and Arnold Schwarzenegger, it's another zombie movie but one that has more in common with The Last Of Us than Resident Evil or Dawn of The Dead and every other zombie movie in existence, it didn't get released in cinemas and went direct to DVD and what few reviews there are for the movie tore it to shreds, ignore the reviews it's a good movie and one I would recommend watching.

The Cured another zombie movie set in Dublin Ireland (that's not somewhere I would have expected a zombie movie to be set) starring Ellen Page, long story short the infected have been cured but have to live with what they did while infected in addition to being ostracised by their families and segregated from those that weren't infected, even though I haven't watched it yet (so many movies to watch so little time) it's an Ellen Page movie which is why I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and because I have yet to see a bad Ellen Page movie, she was really good in Hard Candy, Juno and Whip It
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 17:30   #2
Ahmier
Unverified

I’d recommend Hanna. It’s an slow pace movie with a dash of action.
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 18:42   #3
TrustyBow

Gonna have to check out I, Daniel Blake out. Sounds interesting.

I really enjoy an indie movie called Safety Not Guaranteed. It's a dramedy/sci-fi. (Kind of) It involves a man trying to go back in time. His attempt to go back is used to tackle the theme of moving on from the past and accepting responsibility. Really good movie and very relatable for young adults.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 21:28   #4
drbunnig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Maggie starring Abigail Breslin and Arnold Schwarzenegger, it's another zombie movie but one that has more in common with The Last Of Us than Resident Evil or Dawn of The Dead and every other zombie movie in existence, it didn't get released in cinemas and went direct to DVD and what few reviews there are for the movie tore it to shreds, ignore the reviews it's a good movie and one I would recommend watching.
I remember someone at an old work place just left this on a table by the exit one day, so people could take it if they wanted. I took it home one night to give it a watch. Not bad at all. It was more about the relationships between characters than zombies.
drbunnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 21:30   #5
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Thumbs up

I, Daniel Blake is outstanding.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 21:51   #6
Cochrane
Golden

Thoroughbreds
A great, very dark, but also in some ways darkly funny psychological drama about two very rich and very damaged teenage girls. Based on a stage play and very low on visuals, it relies entirely on the charisma of its two amazing lead actresses (Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy) to create amazing tension and really make you feel for these thoroughly unlikable characters. Not everyone will love it, but I think it's absolutely brilliant.
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 22:13   #7
Ahmier
Unverified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Thoroughbreds
A great, very dark, but also in some ways darkly funny psychological drama about two very rich and very damaged teenage girls. Based on a stage play and very low on visuals, it relies entirely on the charisma of its two amazing lead actresses (Olivia Cooke, Anya Taylor-Joy) to create amazing tension and really make you feel for these thoroughly unlikable characters. Not everyone will love it, but I think it's absolutely brilliant.
I just watched the trailer. I’m excited to see it now.
Ahmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-19, 23:43   #8
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Thoroughbreds
I got to see that movie when it debuted at Sundance. God I was so mad at how under the radar it flew. Honestly one of the best movies I saw last year.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-19, 13:08   #9
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
I, Daniel Blake is outstanding.
It is indeed an outstanding movie you may or may not know this but the woman that helped Katie in the scene at the food bank was not an actor, she worked at the food bank and hadn't been told what would happen in the scene I like how the two lead actors went along with it.

There was one scene I found funny when Daniel was using the computer and it stopped working and some guy said it was frozen and Daniel said can you defrost it.

I didn't know it until after the movie when I googled him that the guy who played Daniel is a stand up comedian.

@Ahmier I've seen Hanna good movie

The Beaver long story short guy gets depressed and the only way he can communicate with people is by using a beaver hand puppet, I know it sounds silly but it turned out to be a good movie, I only watched it because Jennifer Lawrence was in it.

Behind Closed Doors another Jennifer Lawrence movie written and directed by Lory Petty it's a bit uneven in places and Jennifer Lawrence manages to save the movie from being total I felt so sorry for her character in one scene I wanted to give her a hug, also Chloe Grace Moretz is in it.

Grabbers long story short an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by blood sucking aliens and the only way for the locals to survive is to get drunk after it is discovered that the aliens are allergic to alcohol so everyone heads down to the pub.

John Q probably not an unheard of movie but it's one of the few Denzel Washington movies that rarely gets mentioned and is rarely on TV and is definitely worth watching surprisingly John Q only scored 23% on rotten tomatoes.

Zombeavers long story short college friends find their weekend of sex and debauchery ruined when deadly zombie beavers attack watch out for Cortney Palm in this movie she's the brunette you'll know her when you see her, she likes to get a lot off her chest she can't be missed.

Hours starring Paul Walker set during the hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans a guy has to stay behind and keep his prematurely born daughter alive after hurricane Katrina knocks out the hospital's power.

Case 39 long story short a social worker rescues a child Lilith from her seemingly abusive parents and assumes custody of the child while looking for a foster home for her, but the child is not quite what she seems Jodelle Ferland is excellent on the role of Lilith.

The Hole the 2009 movie long story short a teenager and his brother discover a mysterious trapdoor covered in locks in their basement eventually what they and their neighbour fear the most begins to come out of the trapdoor, the trapdoor basically manifests their fears.

@Cochrane Thoroughbreds sounds interesting whenever it's next on TV I'll watch it.

Last edited by DragonSlayer; 07-01-19 at 13:09.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-19, 04:28   #10
VictorXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmier View Post
I’d recommend Hanna. It’s an slow pace movie with a dash of action.
This movie is amazing! I really recommend it too, especially to those who really enjoyed TR2013.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote